Foreign tourist numbers on course to hit 39 million next week

webfact

15 hours ago, Thechook said:

Tourism numbers still continuing to smash records year after year.  They will need to build more hotels to cope with the huge influx.

.... and still a lot of half empty hotels during high seasons - TAT, the master of contradictions ...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Traubert said:

What about those who arrive overland or by sea?

I think arrivals by sea are seen as inconsequential because the numbers are so small.

It would make sense that those people entering the country by land are disregarded since the overwhelming vast majority will be other ASEAN residents plus separating other Asians and expat visa runners from tourists would be too complicated. I do understand this logic erases the key reason why many think the numbers are and method of counting tourists is flawed but it actually makes a lot of sense that overland entrants are in addition to the declared total.

Surely the simple count of visas stamped and issued on arrival rentry S and METVS stamped at all entry points would give a fairly clear indication, you may miss some of the Asean entries, but would be fairly close

They should have aprofessional way of colecting that data by data entry at immigration as the system is already electronic

6 minutes ago, WhatupThailand said:

But cannot tell the truth, because may lose Face.

You've seen the stats for aircraft arrivals and passenger loads posted earlier in the thread, if you haven't perhaps take a look before saying everyone in the country is a liar.

I don't know about you, but I am sick and tired of all this utter mendacious drivel about 'tourist numbers'. Just pluck any ridiculous, absurdly inflated figure out of thin air, and you will be pretty much in line with the latest 'official' lie.

What gets my goat perhaps more than anything is the way we are all treated as absolute idiots who would believe all this B.S. that we are daily fed!

Edited by Eligius

On 12/20/2019 at 6:03 PM, Traubert said:

The Chinese always went to Vietnam. They share a 786 mile border. Those in border areas have trade passes for daily crossings. No mention of fiddled figures there of course. Market traders get marked down as entries anyway.

Most Chinese by the way means more than 700m. Only 130m hold passports/trade passes.

Chinese tourists by destination:

The top 10 destinations for Chinese tourists

1. Hong Kong
  2. Macau
  3. Taiwan
  4. Thailand
  5. Japan
  6. Vietnam
  7. South Korea
  8. Singapore 
  9. USA
  10. Italy

You can write off the first three as domestic tourism.

Taiwan as domestic tourism?????????????????????????

18 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I don't know about you, but I am sick and tired of all this utter mendacious drivel about 'tourist numbers'. Just pluck any ridiculous, absurdly inflated figure out of thin air, and you will be pretty much in line with the latest 'official' lie.

What gets my goat perhaps more than anything is the way we are all treated as absolute idiots who would believe all this B.S. that we are daily fed!

Can you explain the airplane arrivals figures?

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It does not mean anything, except to lower the quality of life for the tourists that come to Thailand. Numbers do not translate into a quality experience for other tourists, nor do they translate into real income for the millions of Thais involved in tourism. Everyone in the country who is in the industry, is talking about how tourism and income is way, way down. This racist and hateful administration has killed tourism. And their inane planning further cements the death of the once thriving industry. Vietnam, Cambodia and others are smarter, and doing a better job of attracting the folks with some real cash in their pockets, who once came here, but are not returning. Arrogance, hubris, extreme ignorance, an over inflated baht, and so many other causes, are at play here. 

Me thinks your right the only way to prosper here is to wear a epaulet laden uniform or print vinyl boards both not needing any quality of or tourist numbers????

34 minutes ago, saengd said:

You've seen the stats for aircraft arrivals and passenger loads posted earlier in the thread, if you haven't perhaps take a look before saying everyone in the country is a liar.

I did not say everyone in the country is a liar.

The question is why TAT numbers never match what they said before.

I only propose why.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WhatupThailand said:

I did not say everyone in the country is a liar.

The question is why TAT numbers never match what they said before.

I only propose why.

I wouldn't get hung up over discrepancies of that nature, even western governments trying to calculate GDP frequently make several attempts and still get it wrong.

I was in Pattaya earlier this month. I got a great deal on a cheap hotel room direct from the hotel (perhaps the first time I have been able to negotiate an on the spot discount).

There plenty of farangs in the bars, although the bar girls complained that there were few customers for the extras that can be provided and where they make the bulk of the income, but this is usual.

I personally didn't see that many Indians except in the Indian restaurants. It seemed like there were fewer buses filled with Chinese. I'd say the season is weak although not a disaster for the hotelier. 

TAT are paid to put a bright spin (lie) on everything, so their press release is unsurprising and not worth believing.

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It does not mean anything, except to lower the quality of life for the tourists that come to Thailand. Numbers do not translate into a quality experience for other tourists, nor do they translate into real income for the millions of Thais involved in tourism. Everyone in the country who is in the industry, is talking about how tourism and income is way, way down. This racist and hateful administration has killed tourism. And their inane planning further cements the death of the once thriving industry. Vietnam, Cambodia and others are smarter, and doing a better job of attracting the folks with some real cash in their pockets, who once came here, but are not returning. Arrogance, hubris, extreme ignorance, an over inflated baht, and so many other causes, are at play here. 

Ok, todays hate filled rant. Well lets have a look shall we?

So lets say that TAT are actually DOUBLING the numbers and there's only 20m tourists instead of almost 40m.

Vietnam received 8.2m tourists so far this year. Cambodia 6.6m. Still 5.2m short, where have they gone?

38% of Vietnam's visitors are Chinese. Ooohh!! Good riddance to them then. 33% of Cambodia's tourists were also Chinese. Thank God they didn't come to LOS, eh? The streets would be awash with spit.

In fact the growth markets for tourism in ASEAN are Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore. Vietnam is in the list but it's not the miracle that everyone here says it is. All those markets mentioned here are seeking the majority of their growth from.....

Drum roll......

China.

Sleep tight. No-one else has got any money. ????

I still want somebody to account for how the AOT air traffic report on plane arrivals and plane loadings shown above manages to confirm the 40 million. I expect the answer will be that AOT is not to be trusted, along with BOT, TAT, government and anyone else in Thailand!  

8 minutes ago, saengd said:

I still want somebody to account for how the AOT air traffic report on plane arrivals and plane loadings shown above manages to confirm the 40 million. I expect the answer will be that AOT is not to be trusted, along with BOT, TAT, government and anyone else in Thailand!  

Errmmmm....I know!!

Instead of counting people they count limbs (including amputees, that's how they get the odd numbers) and AOT has it's own fleet of drones that take off and land constantly in between aircraft so they can be counted as flights!! Leaves landing on the runway count too!

Well its as believable as some of the tosh posted here. ????

On 12/20/2019 at 3:54 PM, keith101 said:

Yes several tourists will arrive from all over the world if your really lucky a few more might come too .

yes 30 million from india who dont spend any money in bars , shops , etc they will realise soon enough th tourists they need to look after GBP 39 to pound should be 78 to pound , and visas can only stay 3 months a year and dont they want any longer how is that attracting the biggest spenders the uk and europe , usa and australia 

On 12/20/2019 at 4:08 PM, colinneil said:

Jackanory, jackanory, please tell me a story, what a load of BS.

Maybe foreigners passing through the airports, but not tourists.

So every time an offshore worker does his monthly round trip he is counted as an incoming tourist.

Generally with these tourist stats countries like to include movement across borders even if it is workers across from cambodia, shoppers from laos etc.  Additionally even event related hotel visits can be counted.  

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 3:43 PM, Mango Bob said:

One day tourist arrivals are down.  Next day they are breaking records off tourist arrivals.  Seem like a lot of fake news to me.

Exactly! It's so frequent it's almost as if they disregard the past or it's audience. Not sure which one...