UK prosecutors to charge U.S. diplomat's wife over fatal car crash

rooster59

This is going to turn into Vern Unsworth, second act. The young man was killed in an accident caused by the woman’s actions and had sh been just an ordinary Serviceman’s wife she would have been charged and probably sentenced to minimal punishment. Due to her Husbands diplomatic status she would have been made to leave the UK by American authorities, not flee as so many media hacks reported. The parents are grieving but their grief has been magnified out of all proportion, flying to America, meeting Trump, refusing to meet the woman , why not let her say sorry face to face, what do they want ? . The result is going to be another court case asking for millions in damages spurred on by the media. The woman who caused the accident has been vilified by the usual media and has no options open to her, this is going to drag on again to the delight of the Lawyers.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

I did hear some argument on the news stating that "she no longer has dip immunity as she has returned to USA" and my head spun... say what? So if she went to posting in Canada, then she have it again? Oy!

I agree she should face the consequences for her actions & I understand why immunity is important.

BTW have they caught the guy or asked for extradition of Libyan who shot dead London policewoman from "safety" of Libyan embassy back in '84 (I think that year? Seems that is more egregious than bad driving leading to death.

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Really? And what exactly will bring a resolution for the family of Harry Dunn?

@BluespunkOf course, there is no resolution

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

Being American doesn't put her above the law

@ThechookNope, but having diplomatic immunity puts her above the law just like any British diplomat and their family members, too.

52 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

Well, if she is charged, she will be put on the Interpol list. Somnamna!!!

@SomtamnicationNo big deal. The US has a few of those cases and they simply give them new identities if those people need to travel.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, z42 said:

Respect to the Brits for doing the right thing, and shame on the Americans for displaying the uber arrogant posturing that most nations' people loathe them for

1. Diplomatic immunity means just that, diplomatic immunity. And it doesn't just apply for Americans, but other nations invoke the same rights as well.

2. I don't see any details in the OP article here that make the case for the woman being criminally culpable... Maybe she was, and the article simply doesn't explain the circumstances. 

19 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

1. Diplomatic immunity means just that, diplomatic immunity. And it doesn't just apply for Americans, but other nations invoke the same rights as well.

2. I don't see any details in the OP article here that make the case for the woman being criminally culpable... Maybe she was, and the article simply doesn't explain the circumstances. 

They have charged her.

3 minutes ago, Sujo said:

They have charged her.

On the basis of what? (I'm asking, because, I don't know the pertinent details).

Was she drunk? Was she speeding? Did she run a red light, etc etc?

Just because someone died in a crash doesn't automatically mean the other party is criminally liable under the law (even if she didn't have diplomatic immunity).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

diplomatic immunity it is an essential part of international relations.  Without it, for example, dimplomats in Saudi Arabia might face serious consequences for a one night hook up, drinking alcohol, or other things that are not considered illegal in most places.

perhaps there needs to be some sort of treaty whereby serious crimes are investigated by the home country, providing that it is also an offence in that country.  Kind of similar to military court marshals.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"Anne will not return voluntarily to the United Kingdom to face a potential jail sentence for what was a terrible but unintentional accident," Jeffress said in a statement.

Aren't all accidents unintentional? I charge of dangerous driving doesn't make any distinction between intentional or