Blood Pressure Monitor

WayWokeWhiteGuy

Hey Y'all

I need to start monitoring my blood pressure at home.

Any recommendations on features or specific models?

How much di I need to spend for something decent?

I looked on Lazada but was a little overwhelmed. 

Like to keep it under B10K is that is realistic for a reasonably accurate, robust unit.

Thanks!

I bought my Omron in Boots.  Around 2500 baht as I recall, but that was 3 or 4 years ago.

Edit:  If you really want to be overwhelmed with choices, there's a hospital supply neighborhood around the Victory Monument.  Store after store, near the hospital.  And around most major hospitals in BKK.  I shopped a lot at the Victory Monument area after my bypass in Bumrungrad.

Edited by impulse

I also use an Omron

some times readings are all over the place. This is my second one.

if you can have someone that can take your blood pressure with a Sphygmomanometer it would be best.

71slMdbBNkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The electronic blood pressure machine can be all over the place , but that could be exclusive to me, because I have an arrhythmia and that could be throwing the machine off.

Don't get a wrist monitor, they tend to be less reliable.

go on Amazon , do a search and read the reviews, then you can buy it from Lazada if you want.

23 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I also use an Omron

some times readings are all over the place. This is my second one.

if you can have someone that can take your blood pressure with a Sphygmomanometer it would be best.

71slMdbBNkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The electronic blood pressure machine can be all over the place , but that could be exclusive to me, because I have an arrhythmia and that could be throwing the machine off.

Don't get a wrist monitor, they tend to be less reliable.

go on Amazon , do a search and read the reviews, then you can buy it from Lazada if you want.

If you have arrhythmia you should go and get your heart reset like I did a few years back

I think you call it cardio version, only takes a few hours.

8 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

If you have arrhythmia you should go and get your heart reset like I did a few years back

I think you call it cardio version, only takes a few hours.

Thank you for that advice

Unfortunately my condition is Physical. Several years ago I had Aortic Valve replacement due to a congenital condition called Bicuspid valve (instead of three slits my valve had two) , the operation was a success but scar tissue from the operation  created an electrical signal disruption that causes the arrhythmia . A pacemaker has being suggested , but I don't want one since the condition is asymptomatic so far. 

Edited by sirineou

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Thank you for that advice

Unfortunately my condition is Physical. Several years ago I had Aortic Valve replacement due to a congenital condition called Bicuspid valve (instead of three slits my valve had two) , the operation was a success but scar tissue from the operation  created an electrical signal disruption that causes the arrhythmia 

I am sorry to hear that, so I guess I am one of the lucky guys all the best to you.

• Thanks 1

The above is not very accurate in my usage however - but it is usable and good value if have limited cash.  Have two of these Omron HEM-7130 units and consistently read the same.  Have good memory system and are easy to use and cost about 1,800 baht.  Do not buy wrist type unit.

image.jpeg.c339222d42add3b227a6e58ab37c2e3e.jpeg

• Like 2

I take morning and evening and have an app called, wait for it, BP Watch ! Can see averages, any fluctuations and changes immediately and send a copy of it to your PC. It is an Omron from Tesco, Bht 1800.

Or, like my Mrs, you can wait til the local nurse comes to take it ONCE A YEAR!

Edited by wgdanson

12 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

What comparison did you do? and what was the variation in results?

I used both and never twice the same reading - but close enough for government work.  But when changed to using both Omron readings were almost always within one or two digits when taken one after another.  The cheap unit was often more than 10 digits different and occasionally seemed to be very inaccurate.  I believe it is good value and provides relatively accurate readings but not nearly as reliable as the Omron.  

After my infarction/STENT implants, I picked up an Omron HEM-7130 at the same shop my doctor sent me to buy my medication (as it would be costing maybe 5000 baht per month through the hospital)...

I'm trying to recall the location - https://goo.gl/maps/LhGrb7g1MP65NGXk8

Rungroj pharmacy. My Brilintia pills cost 3650 for a box there (at the hospital I think maybe 5100) and the Omron was over 2000.

However, I see on Lazada https://www.lazada.co.th/products/omron-hem-7130-22-32-adapter-omron-i100509479-s100584905.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistbrand.list.9.16e870f6uOjQXh&search=1 there's one discounted to 1744. Order it COD - looks like it'll be genuine.

I'd grab that - it comes with batteries, but also a power adaptor. Mine is going strong after 2 months on the original batteries, so it's not a biggie.

Next up just do yourself a spreadsheet to keep track.

Edited by ben2talk

I'm on my 2nd OMRON unit, was first diagnosed with high BP in 2010 (with badly controlled diabetes and a mild stroke in combination to boot)...a good way to monitor the effectiveness of BP meds as they are expensive...probably one of the best products on the market for home use...

2 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Next up just do yourself a spreadsheet to keep track.

Or use the one I've built up for myself and MrsL. to save time - see attachment.

It'll record everything graphically for you automatically.

There's some conditional formatting applied to the Systolic, Diastolic and Pulse columns so that, if the reading exceeds the 'normal' values in Row 1 you get a pink warning. Column colours correspond to line colours in the graph.

BP Pulse.xlsx

Edited by MartinL

2 hours ago, MartinL said:

Or use the one I've built up for myself and MrsL. to save time - see attachment.

It'll record everything graphically for you automatically.

There's some conditional formatting applied to the Systolic, Diastolic and Pulse columns so that, if the reading exceeds the 'normal' values in Row 1 you get a pink warning. Column colours correspond to line colours in the graph.

BP Pulse.xlsx 34.09 kB · 3 downloads

Plenty of free apps available if you have a smartphone

25 minutes ago, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:

Thanks everyone.

Are the arm-cuffs big enough for old fat guys?

As said that could be an issue with the Omron as 7130 models I have ordered came with 20-32cm 9-13" cuff which is good for me as have average to small arm.  Cuffs are available by themselves at very low costs and if you check some sellers may have larger cuffs.  Below from Lazada is with 32-42cm cuff

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/omron-hem-7130-l-m-l-365wecare-i267678560-s418744694.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.39.3ce913ea0ErAs6&search=1

Edited by lopburi3

4 minutes ago, how241 said:

Why do people think that the wrist model is not good?  Pressure readings can vary for many reasons so why is it assumes that the wrist model is not as good as other models ?   

To get an accurate reading when taking your blood pressure the cuff should be level with the heart. This is easier to do with an upper arm cuff. The wrist blood pressure monitors are more prone to error because it's easier to be at the wrong level. Even then, blood pressure measurements taken at the wrist are often higher and less accurate than those taken at your upper arm because the wrist arteries are narrower and not as deep under your skin as those of the upper arm.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:

These are typically available for the Omron product?

Yes and post 21 has link for unit with larger size but you can use any normal larger cuff as it does not have to be Omron brand to work.  Omron makes these three versions but I have used a generic Chinese cuff without issues.

ขนาด :S 17-22 ซม.
ขนาด :M 22-32 ซม.
ขนาด :L 32-42 ซม.

On 12/23/2019 at 3:54 PM, how241 said:

Why do people think that the wrist model is not good?  Pressure readings can vary for many reasons so why is it assumes that the wrist model is not as good as other models ?   

Not assumed. Known fact.

Wrist modeld detect the pulse at a more distal point.  If the blood ptessure is unusually low or if there is an irregular heart rhythm (which often means some pulsations are weak) these may be missed by a wrist monitor.

Conversely,  because arteries at the wrist are narrower and closer to the surface than those at the elbow, when the pulsations are of normal strength you may get an exaggeratedly high reading.

Wrist monitors are also more sensitive to/easily thrown off by changes in body position.

It is recommended not to use wrist monitor inless some condition is present that makes it impossible to take BP on the upper arm.

• Thanks 2