Is your Air Purifier really doing it's job ?

4MyEgo

Thank you for starting this thread. As an asthma sufferer I would like to thank all the contributors for interesting and informative information. I shall certainly be looking into purchasing an air purifier. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, welshboy454 said:

Out of curiosity guys  how are you measuring the pm2.5  ?  Is it the air coming out of the purifier or the air somewhere in the room  which contains some air from outside ?

I turn on the IQAir and it sucks the air from within the room under it and filters back up through it's filter processing system, the Hepa filter is the one that gets the PM2.5 particulate matter and at the same time I watch the SNDWAY PM2.5 DETECTOR drop in digital numbers, an example is, I came home around 12.30pm today after being out at my daughters school xmas party and turned both on, the place was closed up, no windows or doors open anywhere, and the SNDWAY PM2.5 DETECTOR had a reading of 44ug/m3 which is not that good, i.e. it was in the "Unhealthy for sensitive groups" which is between 35.5ug/m3 - 55.4ug/m3 and this is indoors, yeh what the f... I said, anyway after 10 or so minutes with both on, it dropped to below 35ug/m3 which is "Moderate" and now probably 30 minutes later is at 6ug/m3 which is "Good" and where I want it to be, i.e. under 12ug/m3 to stay within the "Good".

The SNDWAY has two things on top which it says on the little brochure is a Laser Particulate Matter Sensor.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

The air in Hat Yai is usually very good, but there are times, especially during the Indonesian haze months, when the air here is bad. As the wife is asthmatic I bought a portable Electrolux air purifier several years ago now for about Bht12,000. I bought a second smaller Toshiba unit more recently for Bht6,000.

It's difficult to quantify how well these units work, as apart from colour bars, there's no digital read out, but they certainly make an improvement in my wife's asthma, so I know they're effective.

Early this year I bought a Xiaomi PM2.5 monitor to check on the air purifiers.  I've found that both will bring the PM2.5 reading down to low single digits, unsurprisingly the more expensive unit, which has a bigger throughput, achieves this in less time than the cheaper one.

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, sfokevin said:

I have Xaiomi S2 in the lounge...  this morning I turned it on it read 58... an hour later it read 6... Paid about 4,000 baht for it... 

22 hours ago, NancyL said:

We have three Xiaomi Mi Air Purifier units -- the total cost for them was much less than 60,000 baht and they are placed strategically in our condo.  Each has a built-in PM2.5 meter and they do indicate that the units make a difference.  We used to have an old clunker of a vacuum cleaner and the PM2.5 meters would go thru the roof whenever we vacuumed.  Also, for some types of cooking if I neglected to use the exhaust hood.  New vacuum cleaner has a HEPA filter and it makes a big difference.

Any recommendations where to buy legit Xiaomi air purifiers? Don't wanna end up buying a fake one from Amazon for example. Do they make fakes of the Xiaomi air purifiers?

Edited by bbi1

20 hours ago, xylophone said:

I have the Xiaomi Mi air purifier 2S (don't know if this is the model you are referring to, however it seems to go okay in my apartment but having said that I still suffer from some sort of allergy about the same time every year?

Also I am running the Philips's AC 4014 air purifier in the bedroom area and the apartment is a sort of "open plan" design, so I thought I was getting the best of both worlds with these two air purifiers running – – perhaps I'm wrong??

Where did you buy the Xiaomi 2S from?

4 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

And last but not least - when buying a filter I wish more companies were like Xiaomi. Why? They use the same filter on ... ok, not all, but their main models (1/2/2s/3h/Pro) and have them available for a long time from many different vendors at low prices.

Any recommended places  on cheap places to stock up on the Xiaomi 2s filters in BKK?

4 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Great overview and information.  My big question is what to do outside, I spend much of my time outside.  Will breathing bad air for several hours outdoors negate the positive effects of having "clean" air indoors?

This link will answer all your questions and provide you with some invaluable advice as to how to go about protecting yourself.

Hope you read up on it and take note to add some years back into your long jeopardy. There are charts with breakdowns of what's acceptable and what is not for anyone else interested, just click the link and scroll down to the chart.

https://blissair.com/what-is-pm-2-5.htm

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thanks for your lengthy post and experiences, please accept my apologies if I came across as shaming others product/s, it wasn't meant to come across that way, hell, if one can find a cheaper product and it does the same, go for it. Me personally, I try to stay away from what some manufacturers state about their products, and sometimes paying more, along with the research to back it up is worth it, although I would of rather not paid 60k baht for the IQAir, but it does it's job for us and we are also happy with the product, the life of the filters, but not the replacement costs of them, but over the long run, if they do their job, you can't put a price on it. 

Your welcome, I might sound like a bit of a hypochondriac but I am a slow learner when it comes to things outside my field, that said, I definitely pay attention to smoke as it affects me, badly, cough, phlegm and tightness, although not that tight, but still enough for concern.

Nothing to apologise for. I'm happy you opened this thread, and that you have something actually working.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Nothing to apologise for. I'm happy you opened this thread, and that you have something actually working.

Thanks, been here in rural Thailand now 4 years and have always been anxious about the burning season as the smoke gets really bad, and naturally has been affecting me, and I worry about the kids.

The dream of living in a village can be ones nightmare with the smoke which is a major issue, that said, at least with this SNDWAY device I can drive the wife crazy...LOL, last night she told me that I shouldn't have shown her the reading in the kitchen when she was cooking (167) in red flashing....lol, reality bites.

Now at least I am better prepared and will be using the IQAir not only inside the burning season, but also outside the burning season because it appears that we live in a polluted environment, basically anywhere we are with the PM2.5 levels being indoors as well as outdoors, education is never ending, although I have read that the air inside your house can be 10 times worse than the air outside your house, might be a little exaggerated, but it is above the required "Good" level which is not good, so we have to monitor it and see what we can do for the kids when going to school, N95 masks till they get into class, and if the burning season is too much, go away during the school holidays for a couple of months, and if it's still bad, perhaps move back abroad, I mean how much can one place on their and their kids well being, fresh air is priceless.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

Any recommended places  on cheap places to stock up on the Xiaomi 2s filters in BKK?

I've bought from this shop before - it's cheaper than official shop as they import them from Hong Kong... at least they used to.

https://www.lazada.co.th/xiaomi/?from=wangpu&q=All-Products&itfriendly

If unsure, check their official shop. There are fake ones out there - Lazada is full of them. Anything below 750 baht should be suspicious given official price is 1099 baht, although usually offering 999 or 899 in their shop.

Great thread.  I am in central Bangkok and finally got an air purifier, the Hatari H-12.

Some of the boys in Pattaya recommended it so I will give it a go.  The air in BKK has

been OK of late, so I haven't been using the purifier much.  I'm waiting for those 150+

days, which I know are coming.  The next move is to get a SNDway 2.5 monitor to see

what the Hatari is doing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I have PurpleAir air sensors mounted outside

I'd be interested to know exactly what you get from these sensors, and I am assuming you would plug them in and they would be required to be undercover.

Do they provide you with immediate PM2.5 readings, hourly or weekly or all of the above, and can you input your actual location ?

I would be interested in getting one for the rear of the house and one for the side of the house as the rear is rice fields, where dipsticks burn and the side is where neighbors cook with their charcol which lingers our way. 

51 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Interesting but very long article, probably has a lot of truths in it, but it's all about marketing, how one perceives it all, how deep one is prepared to throw money, in the end. 

Reminds me of a bloke at a petrol service station some 5 years ago, who told me that his Ford Fortuna was a better ride and more economical than my BMW X5 4.4, naturally, I said, it probably is for you.

I did enjoy the short conversation though had to get back to enjoying the drive. I had the BMW for the 3 years, and recall, that I had to dig deep when it came to little things like an electric windows not working, or changing brakes, etc etc etc, and no I didn't take it to the dealerships, had my own mechanic who would come out to do the car at my place, parts were not cheap, but at the end of the day, the car was worth every $ spent to drive it, as was the tax ride off, maybe next time I will buy a Ford Fortuna and dream about driving a BMW, for now it's a humble 4 year old Ford Ranger ????

Is this the official Xiaomi store on Lazada? https://www.lazada.co.th/shop/xiaomi-official-store/ The only thing is on the official store they don't sell the 2S model, only 2H and 3H models: https://www.lazada.co.th/xiaomi-official-store/?langFlag=en&q=Xiaomi&from=wangpu&pageTypeId=2 but they do sell the 2S model HEPA filter for 949 baht.

Has anyone bought from AliExpress instead? Looks like this could be the official store too: https://xiaomi.aliexpress.com/store/103919 The only thing is that on AliExpress there doesn't seem to be any air purifiers. Or should I be looking at Alibaba instead?

Edited by bbi1

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I'd be interested to know exactly what you get from these sensors, and I am assuming you would plug them in and they would be required to be undercover.

Do they provide you with immediate PM2.5 readings, hourly or weekly or all of the above, and can you input your actual location ?

I would be interested in getting one for the rear of the house and one for the side of the house as the rear is rice fields, where dipsticks burn and the side is where neighbors cook with their charcol which lingers our way. 

A bit hard to get to it to take photos as I keep it in the rain-hut or whatever they call it to stop the rain from getting in but still has free air movement and temperature/humidity reading... anyway it's an upside-down coffee cup that has 2 boxes with fans inside of it and mounts to some hard surface like the wall. There's a cable at the bottom that's basically a long USB cable and plugs into the wall socket. Standard USB adapter like one to charge your phone. It connects to Wifi (you connect with computer or phone to the sensor's wifi, then use embedded website to connect to your Wifi network and enter password). Once you do that, you open the site and configure whether it's public or personal sensor - if public, it'll appear on IQAir AirVisual app, of private it will show but you need to login to see it.

The location is specified on the map when you configure the device. Just drop pin where you have installed it. Uses Google Maps if I remember correctly (it's been a while).

I am keeping mine private as it gets affected by many things around my place, which send the readings off badly for short periods of time, so I don't want to send wrong data from nearby stall making BBQ or stuck cars in traffic under it. It's also higher than 10m which apparently isn't allowed. So all in all, I get the readings outside my windows, but not necessarily on the ground under my building.

The sensors cost about 10,000 baht each (a few years back, not sure now) off Amazon. They also had one for indoors available but I didn't take it. It was about 6000 baht. Both prices without shipping which was another 3-4000 baht or so incl. import duties they collected up-front. Took about a week to deliver by UPS.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Interesting but very long article, probably has a lot of truths in it, but it's all about marketing, how one perceives it all, how deep one is prepared to throw money, in the end. 

Reminds me of a bloke at a petrol service station some 5 years ago, who told me that his Ford Fortuna was a better ride and more economical than my BMW X5 4.4, naturally, I said, it probably is for you.

I did enjoy the short conversation though had to get back to enjoying the drive. I had the BMW for the 3 years, and recall, that I had to dig deep when it came to little things like an electric windows not working, or changing brakes, etc etc etc, and no I didn't take it to the dealerships, had my own mechanic who would come out to do the car at my place, parts were not cheap, but at the end of the day, the car was worth every $ spent to drive it, as was the tax ride off, maybe next time I will buy a Ford Fortuna and dream about driving a BMW, for now it's a humble 4 year old Ford Ranger ????

eBay was selling a "Xiaomi DIY air filter kit" for about 1000 baht. All it was - a 220V fan with some frame and a knob to adjust speed, that was placed on top of an exposed Xiaomi filter. I guess 900 baht for filter and 100 baht for the fan. In reality - that's all it really is. And that goes for all the others as well. The rest is sensors and logic to control the speed of fan or turn on/off lights or display some numbers, etc. Didn't buy it but if I was cheap and needed a filter... that's probably the best deal ever. 30$ for 6 months. Not much to look at but a bargain nonetheless.

Found it! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Homemade-HEPA-Filter-PM2-5-Smoke-Dust-Remove-For-Xiaomi-Air-Purifier-Air-Cleaner/113931371604?hash=item1a86d6c454:g:0CkAAOSw2BddrXg7

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Anyone used or have tried the Xiaomi 3H model? https://www.lazada.co.th/products/mi-air-purifier-3h-1-i505690786-s896298152.html?spm=a2o4m.seller.list.15.86e61dd2Ih6OEs&mp=1 It sells for 4,999 baht and seems a tiny bit better than the 2S model.

It is actually considerably stronger than 2S and can cover significantly larger area. I think it's more comparable to Pro than 2S. If your room is over 20m2, take 3H. If you're looking for price comparisons, I'd recommend priceza. Added link for offers on Air Purifier 2s:

https://www.priceza.com/s/ราคา/xiaomi-air-purifier-2s

Just thought of something - There is one online retailer that claims all their stuff is 100% genuine (still need to be careful about Chinese vs Global version) - JD Central. It's like Lazada but more expensive and no fake stuff.

Edited by tomazbodner
added info about JD Central
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

A bit hard to get to it to take photos as I keep it in the rain-hut or whatever they call it to stop the rain from getting in but still has free air movement and temperature/humidity reading... anyway it's an upside-down coffee cup that has 2 boxes with fans inside of it and mounts to some hard surface like the wall. There's a cable at the bottom that's basically a long USB cable and plugs into the wall socket. Standard USB adapter like one to charge your phone. It connects to Wifi (you connect with computer or phone to the sensor's wifi, then use embedded website to connect to your Wifi network and enter password). Once you do that, you open the site and configure whether it's public or personal sensor - if public, it'll appear on IQAir AirVisual app, of private it will show but you need to login to see it.

The location is specified on the map when you configure the device. Just drop pin where you have installed it. Uses Google Maps if I remember correctly (it's been a while).

I am keeping mine private as it gets affected by many things around my place, which send the readings off badly for short periods of time, so I don't want to send wrong data from nearby stall making BBQ or stuck cars in traffic under it. It's also higher than 10m which apparently isn't allowed. So all in all, I get the readings outside my windows, but not necessarily on the ground under my building.

The sensors cost about 10,000 baht each (a few years back, not sure now) off Amazon. They also had one for indoors available but I didn't take it. It was about 6000 baht. Both prices without shipping which was another 3-4000 baht or so incl. import duties they collected up-front. Took about a week to deliver by UPS.

Many thanks for the details.

This morning on the IQAir AirVisual app I read that IQAir have an indoor/outdoor monitor for around 8,500 baht which I recall that I read about before, but didn't want to purchase it as I had just downloaded the IQAir AirVisual app for free, and was happy with that for the outdoor part of monitoring the air quality, and wanted to purchase just an indoor monitor/detector, so I purchased the SNDWAY for the indoor monitoring which is brilliant at 1,400 baht delivered, but also at that time, I read that a chap known as Richard barrow in Thailand did a review of the IQAirVisual Pro which he installed at the school he teachers at or his kids go to, can't recall, but thought this guy should run for PM, read his review here:  https://www.richardbarrow.com/2019/02/review-of-the-airvisual-pro-air-quality-monitor/

Also here is the link for the IQAir one if you want to instal and use your location to monitor the outside air quality, which I am now seriously considering, even though the IQAir AirVisual app is free, it only provides me with the two big towns around me which are 15km-20km apart in each direction, e.g. north-south or east-west, no idea on the geography and the IQAir AirVisual app has been very slow of late updating information on air quality for no reason that I am aware of, and at least with this expensive little device I can go outside to read the air quality if it is slow on the app: https://www.iqair.com/th-en/blog/citizen-science/air-pollution-data-collection-movement  

The above said when reading it, I read that 92% of the world's population is affected by pollution which contributes to 7 million people worldwide, and elsewhere I read that 90% of the air in the world is polluted, "great", do I believe this information, or is it just marketing, then I ask myself why do we have agencies like the EPA and others around the world, that apart from other things that they do, also monitor the air pollution and provide guidelines on ug/m3 and why aren't governments harping about this, China won't allow you to instal one of these IQAir devices outdoor in China, go figure, and then I look at the old people around the village I live in, and ask myself, well a lot of these people are into their 80's, 90's, plus, and still going, but on the other hand, how many have passed well under those ages, at least 2 dozen last year, from various ailments I would imagine, Lao Cow, drowning, bike accidents, etc etc, and this mornings reading on the SNDWAY as I stuck it outside for a minute was 81ug/m3 not something I would want to walking out into unless I had an N95 mask on because I know this not so old car (59) would be coughing and splattering, and I know this much, I had the IQAir purifier on overnight and my chest/lungs, which ever one/s it is, feel as if they enjoy the air I breath in and I feel as if I can breathe in deeper, go figure. 

So looks like I am going to purchase an IQAirVisual Pro to get outdoor readings, as I said before, if you've got money, you can afford to burn it  ????

12 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Is this the official Xiaomi store on Lazada? https://www.lazada.co.th/shop/xiaomi-official-store/ The only thing is on the official store they don't sell the 2S model, only 2H and 3H models: https://www.lazada.co.th/xiaomi-official-store/?langFlag=en&q=Xiaomi&from=wangpu&pageTypeId=2 but they do sell the 2S model HEPA filter for 949 baht.

Has anyone bought from AliExpress instead? Looks like this could be the official store too: https://xiaomi.aliexpress.com/store/103919 The only thing is that on AliExpress there doesn't seem to be any air purifiers. Or should I be looking at Alibaba instead?

Make sure you get the "global" version or you will get the Chinese version which is cheaper. 

19 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's all cumulative, so the less you breathe of PM2.5 in any setting, the better for your health.

The answer is to use a good HEPA air purifier indoors, and use N95-class face masks such as those made by 3M when outside when the outdoor air quality is bad.

Those paper N95 half masks don't stay on when I am swimming laps though.  555 

For me I would rather add more life to my years, than years to my life.  Staying indoors all the time with all the windows and doors closed so I make sure I am breathing my HEPA filtered air isn't my idea of living a life.

Will start by getting an air filter for sleeping and staying in as much as possible on "unhealthful days"

From the article someone linked to me on how to "protect" yourself from PM 2.5.

"When the amount of PM2.5 is at unhealthy level, take these steps to reduce exposure and protect your health:

• Stay indoor and close all windows and openings that allow polluted air to enter, when possible."
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

For me I would rather add more life to my years, than years to my life.  Staying indoors all the time with all the windows and doors closed so I make sure I am breathing my HEPA filtered air isn't my idea of living a life.

Exactly, but as you say, if you want to add life to your years, then you know what you have to do, there is also the choice of the N95 mask, which can be a pain in the butt, suffice to say, if the air is really bad, I will wear it to the car, then take it off once inside, on again when walking to the shopping centre from the underground car park or open car park at the local Tesco or Big C, then off it comes, as I want the young ladies to see the hanhome man under the mask ????

48 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Will start by getting an air filter for sleeping and staying in as much as possible on "unhealthful days"

You will feel the difference and a step in the right direction.

49 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

From the article someone linked to me on how to "protect" yourself from PM 2.5.

"When the amount of PM2.5 is at unhealthy level, take these steps to reduce exposure and protect your health:

• Stay indoor and close all windows and openings that allow polluted air to enter, when possible."

That was me and your welcome.

I am currently on my keyboard at the time of this reply, i.e. 9.40am and it's a beautiful clear blue sky out there, windows open, no smell of smoke, yet the reading I am getting on the SNDWAY PM2.5 DETECTOR is 41ug/m3 which falls into the "unhealthy for sensitive groups" range of 35.5ug/m3-55.4ug/m3 or 101-150 on the IQAir quality reading.

The above said, I suppose I could shut the windows and turn on the air purifier to reduce the PM2.5 particulate matter to under 12ug/m3 which is "good", but somehow I like that false sense of security of having fresh air filter into the house, suffice to say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can try, and as long as I cannot smell smoke, I will keep pretending I live in the country which has country air, in that meaning, as false as it is.

???? to a long life with less smoke/pollution that we have to breathe in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Make sure you get the "global" version or you will get the Chinese version which is cheaper. 

You mean the global version of the 3H model from Lazada on their official store? I thought there was only one version of the 2H & 3H: https://www.lazada.co.th/xiaomi-official-store/?langFlag=en&q=Xiaomi&from=wangpu&pageTypeId=2 What's the difference with the Chinese version, just that the manual and the info on the LED will be written in Mandarin?

On 12/25/2019 at 9:43 AM, 4MyEgo said:

The above said, I suppose I could shut the windows and turn on the air purifier to reduce the PM2.5 particulate matter to under 12ug/m3 which is "good", but somehow I like that false sense of security of having fresh air filter into the house, suffice to say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can try, and as long as I cannot smell smoke, I will keep pretending I live in the country which has country air, in that meaning, as false as it is.

I don't understand your comment at all!

You have a purifier. You know the air outside is varying degrees of bad. But you still decide to leave the windows open and not run the purifier at home???

For me, I'd certainly rather close the windows and turn on the purifier, so the air I'm breathing is really clean, instead of having the false illusion that it's "clean" just because you've opened your home to the outdoors.

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't understand your comment at all!

You have a purifier. You know the air outside is varying degrees of bad. But you still decide to leave the windows open and not run the purifier at home???

For me, I'd certainly rather close the windows and turn on the purifier, so the air I'm breathing is really clean, instead of having the false illusion that it's "clean" just because you've opened your home to the outdoors.

This is all a learning curve for me, as of this morning at 11.32am the windows are closed, 80ug/m3 outside, no more opening windows for that false secure feeling.

What I don't understand is how the SDNWAY can be 40ug/m3 plus inside, the house is pretty air tight, air purifier was on last night, down to about 1ug/m3 and up to 3ug/m3 until I turned it off at around 8am, then it's gone back up to 40ug/m3, with nothing opened up.

Edited by 4MyEgo

14 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

This is all a learning curve for me, as of this morning at 11.32am the windows are closed, 80ug/m3 outside, no more opening windows for that false secure feeling.

What I don't understand is how the SDNWAY can be 40ug/m3 plus inside, the house is pretty air tight, air purifier was on last night, down to about 1ug/m3 and up to 3ug/m3 until I turned it off at around 8am, then it's gone back up to 40ug/m3, with nothing opened up.

No house/home is "airtight." Even when everything is closed up, air from the outside will still filter in thru door frames, window frames and other small openings. 

What the air purifier needs to do is filter/clean the indoors air faster than the bad air from outside can seep inside. The more you "airtight"en your home, the easier it makes it on your air purifier to do its job when the air outside is bad.

If I leave my air purifier off when I go to sleep at night, by the time I wake up in the morning, the readings I'll get indoors will pretty much match whatever's going on outside.  So, I don't turn my air purifier off, until/unless the air outside is at or below 12 mcg.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So, I don't turn my air purifier off, until/unless the air outside is at or below 12 mcg.

The problem I have reading between the IQAir AirVisual app which I downloaded on my iPhone for free shows that the PM2.5 reading outside is currently 27.2ug/m3 in my area and the SNDWAY PM2.5 DETECTOR is showing the inside reading to be 38ug/m3.

Can the above be correct or am I reading something wrong ?

Edited by 4MyEgo