Abbot arrested for alleged molestation of child novices

webfact

Abbot arrested for alleged molestation of child novices

By The Nation

800_d90d6f8d85b59f1.jpg?v=1577257868

The abbot of a temple in Samut Sakhon province has been arrested on five charges, including alleged obscenity and child molestation, after three novices allegedly claimed they had been sexually abused.

Anti-Trafficking in Persons Division commander Pol Maj-General Worawat Watnakhonbancha along with Samut Sakhon police arrested the monk from Ban Paew district. 

After investigation, police said they found the abbot had allegedly molested about 19 novices aged between 4 and 15 years old and 10 temple boys, with the youngest boy aged only eight. The abbot also reportedly had a collection of photos of his sexual intercourses. Police also accused the monk of being involved with male child prostitutes.

Police said the abbot allegedly controlled the use of cellphones in the temple to prevent his alleged crimes from being reported.

However, police said one of the victims was able to take a picture and sent it to his parents, exposing the abbot’s alleged illegal behaviour.

One of the novices reportedly told police that he was tied to a chair and forced to have sex with another person while the abbot watched and he also allegedly invited other people to join for group sex in the temple. The abbot has denied all charges.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379820

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-26
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

The usual experts, investgators, judges and executioners have and will surface. I read a story, written by someone I don't know, about an event I know little about and count my blessings. I keep my side of the street clean and move on.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Sad for kids but lets be real what will happen to Monk/ Defrock and disappear. This makes my case for not being religious even more. But people forget what these no gooders do and life goes on. serious does any one think this <deleted> will go to jail?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

The abbot seems unperturbed about the swarm of bees buzzing around his head.

He's quite accustomed to a buzz in (or around) his head. Sounds like he might be quite accustomed to "head" too.

• Haha 1

You would think, with all this pedo <deleted> going on in temples, that someone with temple/monk authority would step up and condemn it.  Every mooban, every province has a head monk who is supposedly in charge of a certain district of temples and monks.  Are they all afraid of losing their positions?  Or are they afraid of vast compliance coming back to bite them in the ass?  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I've lost all faith in Thai temples and Buddhism, it's a money making franchise with many monks who are there for the wrong reasons.

How many times have you read about a criminal who has gone into the monk hood for a period of time to absolve him of his actions?

Now you see a figure clad in saffron and you can't say for certain who he is!

Take out all references to Buddhism and your 1st sentence describes all religions.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ubon farang said:

Sad for kids but lets be real what will happen to Monk/ Defrock and disappear. This makes my case for not being religious even more. But people forget what these no gooders do and life goes on. serious does any one think this <deleted> will go to jail?

Would be that monks last day if it were my child he molested.

I would take a hammer to the Wat & get medieval on this sorry excuse for a monk

• Like 1

Kids are in all sorts of danger here, in schools, temples and in their own homes. Incest is common in villages. 

Sorry but the whole system needs to get better to catch the predators before it's too late. 

3 hours ago, balo said:

Kids are in all sorts of danger here, in schools, temples and in their own homes. Incest is common in villages. 

Sorry but the whole system needs to get better to catch the predators before it's too late. 

I remember being told that years ago incest was rife in Thailand

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

When I became a monk back in 2007, I saw the way other monks were acting around young boys.  I jumped in with both feet and got in their face.  I told them I wasn't going to put up with it.  They knew I was a Vietnam Veteran and a former US Marine.  They didn't give me any <deleted> and stopped their <deleted> when I was around them.  

Very brave of you to stand up for what is good and true.

Respect.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, meechai said:

Would be that monks last day if it were my child he molested.

I would take a hammer to the Wat & get medieval on this sorry excuse for a monk

---sorry excuse for a human being - - -