Just discovered that paying goods online is dangerous!

5 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Does anyone know the actual stance regarding Thai banks and fraud?  In the UK, as long as you have not disclosed your PIN, in the majority of cases the bank will refund any losses incurred through fraudulent transactions. Even then, I believe that if a PIN is obtained through the use of hidden cameras on ATM's or trick card machines, the bank will still refund.

I recently had my UK account cleaned out by fraudsters who had got hold of all my card details - apart from my PIN. The bank notified me that they were suspicious of some account activity by SMS and I contacted them to find that quite a number of fraudulent transactions had taken place prior to the SMS alert. Nevertheless, the bank refunded all my cash within 30 minutes. As an aside, the fraudster wasn't all that bright - he/she used my card to pay for their car insurance ????.

I've heard that Thai banks don't refund in the same way but I'm unsure whether that's just negativity or what actually happens.

For now I protect myself by having 2 Kasikorn accounts - I use one to top up the other through online banking and limit the amount available in the account that I use for card purchases. That way, I can only lose what's in the 'card' account.  I have to do this because although Kasikorn notify me of all transactions by SMS, I can't receive these most of the time when I'm in the UK as I have no mobile signal at my UK home.

The other option with Kasikorn, is activate your "virtual card" via online banking. You can set that to a transaction limit, example 5000 baht and use that at any online purchases, adjust the level as you need and when purchase complete reset it to minimal amount. Just use that for all online activity, much safer and easy.

Just a suggestion.

9 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I got the below result from Malwarebytes. Not really sure if it is alarming or not.

123.jpg

Although you show unwanted registry keys & values you may want to Quarantine all ...

What security app are you running 

On 1/2/2020 at 5:47 PM, Thomas J said:

There are hundreds of ways for credit card numbers to be stolen and not just online.  If you use public wi-fi your phone is vulnerable. If you use your credit card at a restaurant, bar, or hotel. you have no way of knowing if the person you handed the card to swiped it in a reader to capture the card information.  There was one instance where a group of thieves installed a fake ATM in a convenience store.  The people would insert their card and enter their pin.  The reader captured all of it. 

They can also use skimmers.  It's basically an interface they put OVER a legitimate ATM or other credit card reader (i.e. back in the US, gas station pumps, grocery store, etc) which looks completely normal.  You input your card and it acts normally except for the fact that it's collecting your card details.  The fraudsters simply collect their device or if they have one of the newer generation units, the data is transferred to them wirelessly. 

I received my new ATM microchip card or EMV as they are known, as opposed to magnetic strip cards.

More secure and safe and less possibility to be skimmed or scanned when handed to cashiers, tellers or hotel receptionists. 

In a nutshell, EMV chips have a small microprocessor that generates a one-time code for every transaction. In other words, instead of a magnetic stripe encoded with your credit card number, expiration date, and other personal information, an EMV card never sends the same information twice. The idea is that if a hacker obtains payment information from an EMV card, it will be information that was unique to a past transaction, and therefore would be of no use for future theft.

Is your credit card chip safe?

The short answer is yes, but only when it comes to one specific category of credit card theft. Evidence has shown a significant decline in credit card fraud in countries where EMV card technology has been implemented on a wide scale.

Having said that, the reality is a bit more complex. While EMV chips have cut down on overall credit card fraud, that doesn’t mean they’re 100% effective. With that in mind, here’s a rundown of the major benefit of chip credit cards, as well as some of the shortcomings of the technology.

Your card is more difficult to replicate

One common form of credit card theft throughout the past couple decades involves a thief essentially cloning your credit card. They obtain your credit card number and other information through a data breach, via a skimming device, or through some other means, and encode the information on the magnetic stripe of another card. They could then use the cloned card to pay for purchases, which would then be billed to your account.

Now, it’s not impossible to obtain your personal information from an EMV credit card, but it’s much more difficult. In a data breach, for example, credit card information obtained from EMV cards would be of no use to a criminal. Cloning an EMV credit card would require extremely sophisticated methods and expensive equipment and is generally impractical to do. Meanwhile, a card skimmer can be made with basic materials and at a bare minimum of expense.

In short, using an EMV chip credit card to pay for a purchase dramatically reduces the probability that your credit card will be cloned. 

Archived