Tesco Lotus offers bags for life to end plastic use

webfact

4 minutes ago, Misab said:

No, this is not a good idea because it is still plastic and most of them will one day end up where they shouldn't be.

Agree to a point.  However this idea from Tesco offers free replacements after the initial purchase which is incentive not to 'dump them in the trash'.  

17 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Agree to a point.  However this idea from Tesco offers free replacements after the initial purchase which is incentive not to 'dump them in the trash'.  

Correct, although I feel they should be charging a lot more for the initial purchase, otherwise many won't be bothered returning them, easier to pay a few Baht each time than worrying about reusing. 

On 12/27/2019 at 3:32 AM, webfact said:

Thoose who opt for the "Bag of Life" can exchange their bags when they are worn out for a new ones at the branch where they bought them from, free of charge.

Why only at the branch where they bought it? Will they also have to show the receipt which will have faded out after a few months and is not readable anymore?

20 hours ago, Artisi said:

They're not cashing in, buy one and exchange for free, if they didn't charge for an initial bag, the majority would expect a free bag everytime they shopped - so very reasonable approach - as to wether it should be plastic or some other material is debatable - but it's a step forward. 

A few days ago i saw a sign from Rimping somewhere here on Thaivisa, which said that you have to buy a bag, but can return it and get your money back. This is imho the best approach.

Edited by jackdd

4 minutes ago, noosard said:

Plastic carry bags are not needed

Use the trolley to take to the car  place items in the boot 

Drive home  carry items inside   1 at a time if you cant juggle

Great advice for those living in a Condo !!!... 

Boxes / Bag for life is a better alternative. 

Although, will the Supermarkets also stop selling plastic rubbish bags we'll need to buy to fill the gap left by the absence of shopping bags to line our under-sink bins. 

You see, these 'single use' plastics, actually have quite a useful 'double use'... so we'll just go to purchasing bin bags which are 'single use plastics'

(Yes, I know we don't have to use plastic at all and just wash out our own 'under-sink' bins on a daily basis). 

Edited by richard_smith237

57 minutes ago, noosard said:

Plastic carry bags are not needed

Use the trolley to take to the car  place items in the boot 

Drive home  carry items inside   1 at a time if you cant juggle

Why are you polluting the air with your privately owned internal combustion engine? Its effect for a single shopping trip is a hundred times worse than using plastic bags. Remember, this environment thing is all interconnected. Decrease plastic bags and put more people in autos and trucks going to the stores instead of walking. But I suppose if you kill off enough people with air pollution, then plastic bags will not be much of a problem.

• Thanks 1

Sure glad that Thailand is ridding itself of those plastic bags.  Will make Thailand look like Singapore ???? As a bonus you can go to Chiang Mai and not be bothered by those plastic bags. 

https://www.thejakartapost.com/life/2018/05/31/thailand-is-new-dumping-ground-for-worlds-high-tech-trash-police-say.html

73042013_2491421951129261_272107897851215872_n.jpg.f5b656d8e74108e048755ebe24bd35f4.jpg

2018_05_31_46879_1527753892._large.jpg

Chiang Mai.JPG

Edited by Thomas J

On 12/27/2019 at 9:08 AM, gmac said:

It's all very well and commendable that the supermarkets are doing this but what about the ordinary markets where Thai's do most of their food shopping.  How do you get rid of the plastic bags there?

That is too sensible of a question. Please move along now. 

Just like most things, this is like putting a bow on a pile of stinking <deleted>. It sorta makes people feel better, but nothing positive actually happens. 

I think the plastic bag issue is being addressed, but I would have preferred to see a total ban on smoke burning as a first, because if it keeps up we will all live a shorter life, just saying, getting priorities sorted is far more important, i.e. plastic bags don't affect us, smoke does, should have sorted the smoke issues first, then moved onto the plastic bag issues for the wildlife and environment, but at the rate we are going with the smoke with 90% of the world being polluted, it ain't pretty knowing that this invisible killer is taking the life of some 9 million plus people worldwide vs none from plastic bags, go figure, had my two bobs worth now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brokenbone said:

after the maids replaced the bags in the trash cans with new ones,

i ask for an additional 5 plastic bags, that together

with the plastic bags i get from 7/foodland/big c

will see me through the next 3 days until

the maids comes back, rinse and repeat

you create more trash than me and I have a 3 bed house with wife and 2 kids.

6 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Oh but it does.  The fish we eat are more and more liable to contain plastic.  It has already been found in our bloodstream in an alarming number of humans tested.

Honey, cancel that Samon tonight, but it's from a farm, umm do they have any plastic bags in the water, nope, just lots of other nasties, great. Damned if you do and damned if you don't, life is a little depressing at the moment, can't open windows, and got to watch what you eat, was never this depressing back in the old country, but then again, head was down, rear was up so no time to read or think like these days, wonder what the future holds, on second thoughts, forget that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, HHTel said:

And I'm old enough to remember when smoking was advertised as being 'good for you'.  Doctors recommended smoking for various reasons.

So your point is .............?

That people will believe anything if you put a marketing spin on it. So rather than believing this fairy tale that this "no bags" policy is being done for the environment, that you accept the truth. It is being done so that the big retailers can make even greater profits. They wouldn't be supporting it otherwise. And those who don't admit this obvious truth are only mouth pieces to further the lie that this is being done "for the environment".

The retailers made a bundle with the plastic bag scandal in the 80's. And now they are making a bundle with the "no bag" scandal today. As the saying goes "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Apparently, some people just have no shame. 

Help the environment sure, but make sure the wealthy retailers pay for it. If Tesco genuinely wants to help, then don't just "replace" the bags. Give a 100% refundable deposit when they are returned.

• Like 1

Can't believe the carping about this initiative.  I bought my say-no-to-plastic bags (in Vietnam).  I would dearly love to visit Tesco on Suk/Thepprasit Pattaya but the police have made this junction a no-go area with their bandit road block.

59 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Can't believe the carping about this initiative.  I bought my say-no-to-plastic bags (in Vietnam).  I would dearly love to visit Tesco on Suk/Thepprasit Pattaya but the police have made this junction a no-go area with their bandit road block.

Is the road block there to control plastic bags exiting Tesco? 

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, HHTel said:

And I'm old enough to remember when smoking was advertised as being 'good for you'.  Doctors recommended smoking for various reasons.

So your point is .............?

It's a JoKE!   Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 7:43 AM, Just Weird said:

Don't you know that there's a difference between recycled plastic and single-use plastic?

Oh, come on! ALL plastic starts with petrochemicals. There are a limited number of times they can be recycled. And, as an OP has said, what do we do with our rubbish?!?

I'm not enough of a scientist to know if biodegradable bags help at all. There's only one Greta Thunberg & billions of selfies!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

I'm not enough of a scientist to know if biodegradable bags help at all.

The scientific geniuses in the Thai government do know, however, and have decided to ban biodegradable bags.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-plastic/major-thai-stores-to-stop-giving-out-plastic-bags-by-2020-minister-idUSKBN1W915E