Seems to be a crackdown on Airbnb in BkK

Elkski

14 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

You don’t get it but millions do. Cheaper prices, more space, kitchens, hotel services that you pay for but don’t use......

I did say "personally". It's a matter of preferences and opinion. I'm not debating the fact that other people find Airbnb more attractive than hotels, just saying I don't

On 12/29/2019 at 5:00 AM, CygnusX1 said:

Whatever the rights and wrongs of short term rental, it would be a disaster for the tourist industry if there was a serious crackdown. Not so much in Bangkok, but in some of the seaside resorts.

If referring to Pattaya that would be an excellent result. The city is being destroyed by far too many people in a city built for the numbers of tourists that visited in the 90s.

The tourist industry is to blamed for building far too many hotels when the roads and the infrastructure can't handle the numbers of tourists that come.

3 hours ago, bkkbudddy said:

Hello,

I live at Belle Grand Rama 9, building B1 and everyday, I see approximately 20 to 30 Chinese and Indian guests checking in as a hotel guests! There's big sign in the lobby indicating that this is not a hotel but it's a joke and everyone at the condo knows it!

It surprises me a little that the condo management overlook this because he/she bears ultimate responsibility and potentially faces a prison sentence. I have first hand knowledge of this as it happened here. And yet we STILL have short term renters, albeit at probably less than 5% of our building.

The reason for your late cancellation might be that the Thai Government has brought out legislation regarding short term rentals.  Airbnb, in order to protect their business are insisting that Landlords comply and that they are requred to register with the local authority and to have their property inspected and to have fire equipment.  All relatively sensibe stuff to protect the Guests, but sadly some of the "keyboard warriors" on here don't think that way and use any excuse to have a go at the Thai Authorities..........pathetic!

I prior rented a room Air BNB in Orange County, CA for 1 or 2 days. 

Nice place.... then I just took a look at tier OC city ordinance. Less than 30 days is illegal with possible fines of $1000.00 USD. 

Glad and I looked it up before I opened my big mouth...

it was a nice olace a 2 car garage converted to room/kitchenette/ shower...

STR's went on in Bangkok long before Airbnb came on the scene one place I know of was Omni towers on soi4 many people owned units in there and let them out short term I see they are owned by Compass Hospitality and are listed on all the OTA's 

On 12/30/2019 at 9:34 AM, Elkski said:

I do think I got booted for a higher price guest because condo was such a good deal compared to what I had to pay for <deleted>ty room last minute.  I may never use airbnb again.  

So luggage causes wear on elevator or just less room for your body?

I do not think some of these Foreigner  who run a 15 unit airbnb business is good but one upcoming  stay is a retired  nurse just starting her condo.  Cant blame  her.  Maybe  she bought  new condo out away from  bkk.  Should she have to sell or is airbnb  a good thing?  

She could always rent it out by the month. It doesn't have to be airbnb or nothing. I don't want airbnb in my condo particularly as people treat places differently when they are on holiday as opposed to living there. Parties in the pool for example when the people who live there want to swim.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

Personally I don't get why anyone would want to stay at an Airbnb while on holidays. I stayed once at a place where there were no hotel rooms available and the time/ location were essential to me. Didn't like it much but had no choice. Last month I stayed few days in Sydney. Had to be around CBD - no cheap hotels there, but I still preferred to pay the somewhat higher price of a hotel and have all the facilities and hotel services

sorry but i cannot compare a 24m hotel room to a 80m condo with seperate kitchen, decent lounge, etc. not really that big a deal when its just me travelling but add in my wife and 2 young boys and i know where i would rather stay. with the whole family we are forced to get a suite in big hotel (small ones rarely have them) so 6K+ per night is the norm, can get way bigger for 2-3K with airbnb and for 5K (what i usually spend) the places can be awesome

should have mentioned outside of bangkok we take a villa rather than the suite for the same price! then there really is no comparison

Edited by GeorgeCross

On 12/28/2019 at 9:46 PM, Elkski said:

I see airbnb as a way tech can utilize  unused space. 

Whereas most airbnb 'landlords' see it as a last chance to make any sort of money out of their seriously flawed Thai property investment portfolio. You know, the ones that didn't read past the "Guaranteed +7% annual return over 10 years" spiel. Plenty unused space between their ears IMHO.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

Personally I don't get why anyone would want to stay at an Airbnb while on holidays. I stayed once at a place where there were no hotel rooms available and the time/ location were essential to me. Didn't like it much but had no choice. Last month I stayed few days in Sydney. Had to be around CBD - no cheap hotels there, but I still preferred to pay the somewhat higher price of a hotel and have all the facilities and hotel services

Airbnb condos have all the facilities and services of a hotel.

but cheaper.

and for a longer stay, who wants to be stuck in a hotel room, sitting on the bed ? Gets old after a few days. Condo has lots more room, kitchen etc. It's a no brainer. I prefer to pay less and have all the facilities and services of a hotel.

and there is basically sweet <deleted> all they can do about them.

my last landlord told me, if anyone asks, simply tell them you are my friend and staying at my place ( no charge) how can they prove other? Is it much different if a family member comes to stay at your condo???  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Besides it being a form of tax fraud, a TM30 raid, would not be out of the question, even if you were related to the owners.  Most leases nowadays require that all persons staying be on the lease after even a few weeks.  What a nasty place to bring a family to.  Let's go swim in sewage...

11 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

my last landlord told me, if anyone asks, simply tell them you are my friend and staying at my place ( no charge) how can they prove other? Is it much different if a family member comes to stay at your condo???

In a similar way when police started harassing the burgeoning Pattaya Grab taxi operator taking a 'legal' fare from Pattaya to U-Tapao. The drivers I encountered were happy to have a farang who knew a bit of Thai and could play along and pretend to be their brother-in-law if stopped. However, in the end it became too much of a hassle so they either jacked their prices or stopped accepting booking from foreigners.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

In a similar way when police started harassing the burgeoning Pattaya Grab taxi operator taking a 'legal' fare from Pattaya to U-Tapao. The drivers I encountered were happy to have a farang who knew a bit of Thai and could play along and pretend to be their brother-in-law if stopped. However, in the end it became too much of a hassle so they either jacked their prices or stopped accepting booking from foreigners.

Anyone willing to play along with a Thai scam should have their head examined, and that would include teaching illegally and scamming the land office..

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

but cheaper.

and for a longer stay, who wants to be stuck in a hotel room, sitting on the bed ? Gets old after a few days. Condo has lots more room, kitchen etc. It's a no brainer. I prefer to pay less and have all the facilities and services of a hotel.

Since I used AirBNB (long term) before, I can see a few loopholes in your story - the reception won't even let you in without contract or owner standing next to you. They'll copy all your documents, and if they are particularly detailed, arrange for immigration visits. You better had your host file TM30 for you.

As for "who wants to get stuck in a hotel room" - have you ever heard of serviced apartments? Ascott? Fraser? Oakwood? Centre Point? They are like hotels, have hotel license which means you can book them for any period of time, but they are full apartments with all the facilities one would expect in them - like condos or more.

If it's all about the price, then add 10k baht fine if immigration pulls you aside at the reception when you walk out.

• Like 2

The other thing is security. A hotel of any size has plain clothes security watching out for people who have checked in for nefarious purposes. In a condo the need fora 1-3 month deposit discourages that - AirBnB makes you vulnerable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ron jeremy said:

but cheaper.

wonder where you live, house or condo, either way, just imagine for an instant, mean imagine for a minute or two if a place next to where you live have people with the same principles as yours, would you accept it????.... here maybe it's different because you come to Thailand for a vacation and to have fun, don't bother with the residents that are here, screw them, after all in a week or two you will be gone and all the damage you may or may not but maybe others have caused will have to be taken care by the damn residents that complain about people like you, yes, that's what happen year after year but you and many like you, sadly, never took a step back and try to place yourselves in other people's shoes...... and no, it's not different if a family member comes, a pig with a dress still a pig

With occupancy rates of hotels hovering over 30% - 40% in the absolute high season it is obvious, that the oligarch elite owners call up their friends down in the government house.

AirBnB (the world's biggest accommodation platform) is, like Grab (the world's biggest transportation platform9, an instrument and product of the 21st century; hence far too advanced for a medieval place like Thailand. 

They will have to come around eventually; in your case go and get a good deal from a hotel for the time being ???? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, rhyddid said:

Condo are for speculative investments,

Any condo I ever bought was to live in, but you’re right in one aspect, they’ve all been a good investment 

42 minutes ago, rhyddid said:

i will never invest in a condo to be my residence, who wish to leave in a concrete cube ?

I will only ever buy a property where MY name is on the title deed. That means I won’t buy a house. I love living in a concrete cube with fantastic views over the river and rest of the city.

Each to their own. If you’re happy “owning” a house that doesn’t have your name as the owner that’s fine, I won’t criticise you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, charliebadenhop said:

There are some people who believe that Airbnb raises rental prices (for average citizens) in various cities, but I wonder where this belief comes from?

Not sure of the exact numbers today, but Airbnb shows about 150 rental options for its clientele in both NYC and Tokyo.

Even if all 150 units initially got rented by someone to facilitate Airbnb business (Very unlikely), there is no way that 150 units could change the rental market in any one large city.

So, can anyone give further info as to how Airbnb raises rental prices for average citizens in some large cities?

From the Harvard Business Review, April 2019:

https://hbr.org/2019/04/research-when-airbnb-listings-in-a-city-increase-so-do-rent-prices