Seems to be a crackdown on Airbnb in BkK

Elkski

I can understand  both sides to this issue.  I think  I don't don't cause any more disturbance  on a condo but cn imagine the real party people have.  Some of the condos I have stayed at have been professionally decorated and make you feel like you are at home or in an art gallery Museum. 

It's so nice to have a knife and cutting board and coffee machine and toaster and microwave and refrigerator so you do not have to eat meals outside every meal. 

Anyway the latest update is I have been refunded both of the canceled condos including the fees.  Customer service said it is  rare against policy but they totaled up my 10% sorry coupons from both cancellation plus the difference in price for the booking of my current stay and the original and deducted it from a upcoming stay

2500 baht  total.  Really not a very satisfactory outcome considering it was so hard for me to find bookings at the last minute in the Asiatique area due to the holiday.  I would say hotel bookings must be in the 99% range this holiday season.   I do have to say Asiatique was very busy and as far as Chinese consumers not spending as much as westerners it is not true when you are talking about a eating event like Asiatique. The current place is a nice little hotel but the room is small and only a refrigerator and a sink so much reduced enjoyment Factor compared to the original 45 m condo overlooking the river with kitchen and seating couch TV area. 

I think anyone who buys a condo not considering that all the rooms will be full one way or the other and have been enjoying condos with one or two permanent tenants per floor are going to be surprised with reality  in the future.  

From what I understand a person on a 30-day tourist visa does not need to have time's at all and cant get in trouble  upon  leaving Thailand.   Some people talk about having safety and fire rules the same as a hotel or whatever if your condo is safe for you it should be safe for a person renting your room by the day. Overall I'm disgusted by you old curmudgeon stick-in-the-mud types and I think ilk like you are one of the problems in the world today. 

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Elkski said:

It's so nice to have a knife and cutting board and coffee machine and toaster and microwave and refrigerator so you do not have to eat meals outside every meal. 

This is the reason most people I know prefer to use airbnb, specially a few who work out a lot and need to make their own meals. In hotels this is almost impossible.
But yeah, it is annoying as Fk to have tourists in your apartment building and using the otherwise almost empty pool and fitness. 

They should just make it illegal under a month, I mean, enforce it. And the hotels etc should start offering better rates. 

Edited by tabarin

23 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Overall I'm disgusted by you old curmudgeon stick-in-the-mud types and I think ilk like you are one of the problems in the world today.

Pretty sure that's what the old farts think of millennials too. The more things change the more they stay the same. :coffee1:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Airbnb condos have all the facilities and services of a hotel.

but cheaper.

and for a longer stay, who wants to be stuck in a hotel room, sitting on the bed ? Gets old after a few days. Condo has lots more room, kitchen etc. It's a no brainer. I prefer to pay less and have all the facilities and services of a hotel.

and there is basically sweet <deleted> all they can do about them.

my last landlord told me, if anyone asks, simply tell them you are my friend and staying at my place ( no charge) how can they prove other? Is it much different if a family member comes to stay at your condo???  

As stated in my reply - that's my PERSONAL preference and point of view. When I go on holidays for few days I don't want to cook my own meals - I eat out, I like my bed done every morning, I like my towels changed at least every couple of days. I sometimes enjoy sitting in the lobby and interacting with other travelers. 

I guess you prefer other things. Great. 

6 hours ago, mokwit said:

Not just hotel owners, people whose home is being turned into a club 18 30 resort will also be happy.

Why do AirBnB users seem to think they have the right to break the law because it is nice for them?

the same attitude led to a crackdown on the 'tourists' who stay 8 months a year, people are their own worst enemy time and time again...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DJ54 said:

I prior rented a room Air BNB in Orange County, CA for 1 or 2 days. 

Nice place.... then I just took a look at tier OC city ordinance. Less than 30 days is illegal with possible fines of $1000.00 USD. 

Glad and I looked it up before I opened my big mouth...

it was a nice olace a 2 car garage converted to room/kitchenette/ shower...

10,000 bt a day here..

4 hours ago, Mavideol said:

maybe you should experience by yourself, stay at a condo building for a while and see how easy it's dealing with the daily rental noise, kids screaming, loud music, broken utility/goods on site that the living in owners have to pay for....just to mention a few that may happen around 2-3 in the morning and you are trying to get some rest, because you have to get up at 6,30 am to go to work. Did it ever crossed your mind that are people living at the condo that have to work and need rest, they are not in vacation like you or some other like you, stop being selfish, pay or an hotel room, that's what they are for and there you can do as you please and not disturb the living owners of a condo complex

Everybody should be reporting these lowlifes that short term rent their condos. I reported my building last year and have had 3 call backs reporting the progress of my complaint. Since there are layers of management in the government (sounds familiar to this Canadian) things take time but I do believe they will eventually shut down the law breakers and tax cheats. These scummy cheap ass tourists should be handed tents so they can camp out in the bush where they can disturb the monkeys and cobras..

6 hours ago, charliebadenhop said:

Not sure of the exact numbers today, but Airbnb shows about 150 rental options for its clientele in both NYC and Tokyo.

Are you joking? You seriously think there are only 150 short-term rentals in NYC or Tokyo? Both cities cracked down on Airbnb specifically so maybe that's what remains on that site, but there are thousands and thousands more on other sites. In Tokyo specifically there were about 60,000 listings on Airbnb in 2016 before the Japanese government essentially outlawed short-term rentals and forced Airbnb to remove any listing that doesn't comply with their draconian laws. Many hosts just quit, others transferred to other sites.

Of course Airbnb increases rental prices. Supply and demand. I personally know of two buildings where they installed fingerprint readers and banned short term rentals - rental prices for studio units have fallen by 15-30% since.

6 hours ago, jrward42 said:

She could always rent it out by the month. It doesn't have to be airbnb or nothing. I don't want airbnb in my condo particularly as people treat places differently when they are on holiday as opposed to living there. Parties in the pool for example when the people who live there want to swim.

There is an obvious answer for all these wannabe hoteliers. Rent out the room on a 32 day contract, but who cares if you leave earlier. So long  the money is paid up-front, no problem. If you don't get out at the REAL appointed time.......who knows or cares what happens to you.

Just saying. I hate them all too...!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

These scummy cheap ass tourists should be handed tents so they can camp out in the bush where they can disturb the monkeys and cobras..

Well, I’ve rented a condo short term in the block in which I now own a condo. I can assure you that even though as an owner, I’ve now become one of God’s anointed chosen people instead of a scummy cheap ass tourist, my behaviour hasn’t changed at all. If anything, I was more paranoid about things like having the TV too loud when I was renting with airbnb.

You see, as an airbnb renter, you’re reviewed by the owner, and when I first started to rent with airbnb I had a couple of knock backs, as I didn’t yet have any reviews. Now that I have dozens of great reviews, people are keen to rent to me. I’m well aware though, that just one bad review could outweigh all of the great ones, so I’m very, very careful to continue to be be a responsible and considerate airbnb tenant.

My block’s quite popular with airbnb, and doesn’t have any threatening signs in the foyer. So far, I’ve had no problems whatsoever with short term tenants. Sure, being high season, you have to wait a while for the lifts, but try to look at things with a glass half full attitude - short term high season renters mean that you have the place to yourself in low season. I’m sure there are stories such as a dozen young men renting a room, but how often? The good thing about short term renters is that if you do get a bad one, by definition he won’t be there for long, and the overwhelming majority of tenants are decent people. If you are unlucky enough to have a long term tenant next door who plays loud music all day, as I’ve had in my flat in Australia, there’s absolutely nothing you can do about it.

I now use airbnb mainly in Croatia and Montenegro, where it’s totally uncontroversial.

• Like 1

On December 28, 2019 at 11:00 PM, CygnusX1 said:

Whatever the rights and wrongs of short term rental, it would be a disaster for the tourist industry if there was a serious crackdown. Not so much in Bangkok, but in some of the seaside resorts.

Why a disaster? Doubt all the hotels are full. If they are all full then the tourist industry should build more. Generally people over build beyond the current need.

Edited by Suradit69
The
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

Well, I’ve rented a condo short term in the block in which I now own a condo. I can assure you that even though as an owner, I’ve now become one of God’s anointed chosen people instead of a scummy cheap ass tourist, my behaviour hasn’t changed at all. If anything, I was more paranoid about things like having the TV too loud when I was renting with airbnb.

You see, as an airbnb renter, you’re reviewed by the owner, and when I first started to rent with airbnb I had a couple of knock backs, as I didn’t yet have any reviews. Now that I have dozens of great reviews, people are keen to rent to me. I’m well aware though, that just one bad review could outweigh all of the great ones, so I’m very, very careful to continue to be be a responsible and considerate airbnb tenant.

My block’s quite popular with airbnb, and doesn’t have any threatening signs in the foyer. So far, I’ve had no problems whatsoever with short term tenants. Sure, being high season, you have to wait a while for the lifts, but try to look at things with a glass half full attitude - short term high season renters mean that you have the place to yourself in low season. I’m sure there are stories such as a dozen young men renting a room, but how often? The good thing about short term renters is that if you do get a bad one, by definition he won’t be there for long, and the overwhelming majority of tenants are decent people. If you are unlucky enough to have a long term tenant next door who plays loud music all day, as I’ve had in my flat in Australia, there’s absolutely nothing you can do about it.

I now use airbnb mainly in Croatia and Montenegro, where it’s totally uncontroversial.

Of course it's popular with some folks - cheap ass tourists who can't afford to vacation and the sleazy condo owners who don't have hotel licences but want to run businesses without paying taxes while screwing the legitimate hotel/serviced apt. industry. Expats screwing over others expat condo owners who don't want their property value reduced (due to people not wanting to buy a hotel room/10x the rate of wear and tear) - like the phony tourists who thought they could game immigration and live here forever, these folks also will find out. People who witness this illegal behavior in their building should call 1111 and report the details. imo they are sincerely trying to work through their caseloads... 

22 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Why a disaster? Doubt all the hotels are full. If they are all full then the tourist industry should build more. Generally people over build beyond the current need.

Because the tourists who would have rented an apartment won’t simply slot into vacant hotel rooms. Many people prefer a kitchen and a large fridge to a daily linen change and a minibar, especially for stays of a week or two. A hotel of the same standard as a given condo block will also generally be a lot more expensive. Many posters on this forum claim that an increase of 10 or 20 per cent in the value of the baht’s deterring many tourists, so why wouldn’t a much larger increase in the cost of accommodation have the same effect? Also see the topic on the threat of Vietnam to the Thai tourist industry. So, many tourists who simply want a holiday in a tropical country with beaches will just go elsewhere. For instance, in my post above I referred to my stays in Croatia and Montenegro - if Montenegro were to hypothetically outlaw short term apartment stays,    I’d just stay in Croatia only.

Although Bangkok has enough hotels, I don’t think there are anywhere near enough in Jomtien, where my condo’s located.

14 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Of course it's popular with some folks - cheap ass tourists who can't afford to vacation

A tourist renting short term in my condo block isn’t someone who can’t afford to vacation, as there are much cheaper alternatives available.

1 minute ago, from the home of CC said:

I'm actually hoping they also start fining the renters as well as the owners..

Now that really would be a disaster for tourism - news would spread like wildfire on internet forums in China, India and Russia.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elkski said:

Overall I'm disgusted by you old curmudgeon stick-in-the-mud types and I think ilk like you are one of the problems in the world today. 

Take your disgust and stick it. We have the absolute right to exclude “your ilk” if we so choose. You pay nothing to the upkeep of condo buildings but all too often it’s you who cause the problems and damage.

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

Now that really would be a disaster for tourism - news would spread like wildfire on internet forums in China, India and Russia.

And maybe the hotel industry in this country and others would survive. You know, the people who went by the law and paid their dues (like taxes) to become a business with a license. This thinking that other countries laws are there to flaunted is certainly a character flaw, perhaps poor rearing.

20 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Take your disgust and stick it. We have the absolute right to exclude “your ilk” if we so choose. You pay nothing to the upkeep of condo buildings but all too often it’s you who cause the problems and damage.

These types are the same fools that have caused all the immigration tightening, people who believe that they are above the law if it suits them. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Everybody should be reporting these lowlifes that short term rent their condos. I reported my building last year and have had 3 call backs reporting the progress of my complaint. Since there are layers of management in the government (sounds familiar to this Canadian) things take time but I do believe they will eventually shut down the law breakers and tax cheats. These scummy cheap ass tourists should be handed tents so they can camp out in the bush where they can disturb the monkeys and cobras..

If you have family and friends over at your place, do you want them to have to somehow prove they are friends or family. Or better yet, how about if they get kicked out because they do not have proper documents?

I am listening to your gripes, and some of them are not completely faulty. I think most of them are exaggerated. But let's just give you the benefit of the doubt for the moment.

How one earth can you enforce how someone uses his private space?! Solve that problem and then I will start listening to your gripes. Because if you do not have a solution to that, there is no way to correct your problem. Hint: there is no solution to that problem. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mavideol said:

wonder where you live, house or condo, either way, just imagine for an instant, mean imagine for a minute or two if a place next to where you live have people with the same principles as yours, would you accept it????.... here maybe it's different because you come to Thailand for a vacation and to have fun, don't bother with the residents that are here, screw them, after all in a week or two you will be gone and all the damage you may or may not but maybe others have caused will have to be taken care by the damn residents that complain about people like you, yes, that's what happen year after year but you and many like you, sadly, never took a step back and try to place yourselves in other people's shoes...... and no, it's not different if a family member comes, a pig with a dress still a pig

That's why I visit and was never STUPID enough to to buy anything there.

if I did I would be regretting it such as yourself.

best wishes to you, can you hold the door for me?????????

• Haha 1