US man detained in Thailand over bullet in luggage

webfact

Northeast Ohio man detained in Thailand after vacation

By: Olivia Fecteau

pix.jpg

PHOTO: Michael Jones (center) is being detained in Thailand, where he traveled for his birthday. In this undated photo provided by his family, he's pictured with his son (left), who is 16 years old.

UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS, Ohio — A University Heights couple is asking for help after their son was detained while traveling abroad.

Michael Jones took a vacation to Thailand alone to celebrate his 37th birthday, according to his parents, Tanya Durden-Jones and Mike Jones.

“He had a great time, said he had a great time in Thailand, and then when it was time for him to come home, that’s when the problem happened,” Durden-Jones said.

Durden-Jones said security at the airport in Bangkok told her son they had found a single bullet in his bag, but she said her son wasn't traveling with any weapons or ammunition.

“He had nothing, and when he tried to explain that to them, it’s like you really can’t challenge their authority there,” Durden-Jones said.

Full story: https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/northeast-ohio-man-detained-in-thailand-after-vacation

-- NEWS 5 CLEVELAND 2019-12-30

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Why would someone come to Thailand, and buy one bullet and take it home with them?

Wonder if they realize that they are gonna look clowns for this done before elsewhere scam?

Souvenir off a flea market or similar perhaps?

29 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

If the world's press made a big enough issue of these scams things improve.

A few years ago the UK's Daily Mail on Line printed an article that was an embarrassment to Thailand. I think it referred to a member of their Royal family. Nothing serious just a petty jibe.

For more a year after you could not access the DM on line in the LOS so it shows what power the press has. A nation that is a tourist attraction cannot afford bad publicity. 

More people in the UK read the Mail on Line than any other on line newspaper.

Yes you could access them .co.uk/sport I remember the story well

5 hours ago, thrilled said:

A few years ago I had a bullet necklace made out of gold. I wore it to Bkk airport. Security saw it. I had to go back down put it in A bag with luggage.

A year later I went to Koh Samui on Bangkok airways.Everything was fine. Coming back to Bkk Koh Samui confiscated it. I mean it was jewelry. I talked to customs at Bkk. They said shouldn’t have been taken. It wasn’t a bullet.

It was jewelry.

we sell what is called 'The Digger Pen' at the RAAF Museum; same as this one

The Digger Pen

728diggerpenwhardcase1__72135.1439517794.JPG?c=2&imbypass=on  made from actual .303 rounds 

each time handing it over, we warn (especially flying visitors) to pack it into luggage (or Mail it home)

6 hours ago, thrilled said:

A few years ago I had a bullet necklace made out of gold. I wore it to Bkk airport. Security saw it. I had to go back down put it in A bag with luggage.

A year later I went to Koh Samui on Bangkok airways.Everything was fine. Coming back to Bkk Koh Samui confiscated it. I mean it was jewelry. I talked to customs at Bkk. They said it shouldn’t have been taken. It wasn’t a bullet.

It was jewelry.

Don't consider going to Brunei.