Thousands of people trapped in Australian coastal town by huge wildfires

webfact

On 1/9/2020 at 3:41 PM, TopDeadSenter said:

Wrong. The fire are arson as per my post 257 above. I will copy paste for your benefit and to stop the propagation of fake news. The Aussie fires have as much relation to man made climate change as the Smollett lynching had to do with the MAGA movement.

Arson, mischief and recklessness: 87 per cent of fires are man-made

https://www.smh.com.au/national/arson-mischief-and-recklessness-87-per-cent-of-fires-are-man-made-20191117-p53bcl.html

The main thrust of Australians now must be to ignore the climate cultists, and catch all these firebugs. How many of them turn out to be members of the climate cult trying to prove the fallacy that man made climate change caused the fires(that they themselves set!) would be interesting to know. I suspect the majority were.

Complete BS, a creation of fake news by the Murdoch experts. The vast majority of the current fires have been caused by lightning strikes in inaccessible areas where there aren't even walking tracks. The garbage you are quoting has been totally debunked by our national broadcaster, who is about 13,000 km closer to the action than the originator of these falsehoods.

There have been 24 arrests of people in NSW, and a total of 100 fires. That's 24%, even assuming the person concerned was successful. You obviously are as poor at mathematics as you are at producing any sensible response on this thread.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Complete BS, a creation of fake news by the Murdoch experts. The vast majority of the current fires have been caused by lightning strikes in inaccessible areas where there aren't even walking tracks. The garbage you are quoting has been totally debunked by our national broadcaster, who is about 13,000 km closer to the action than the originator of these falsehoods.

There have been 24 arrests of people in NSW, and a total of 100 fires. That's 24%, even assuming the person concerned was successful. You obviously are as poor at mathematics as you are at producing any sensible response on this thread.

Australia's wildfire crisis faces a new foe: Misinformation

Climate change deniers are blaming Australia’s wildfires on arson, but experts say that the exaggerated claims are part of a widespread disinformation campaign and that arson alone cannot explain the unprecedented blazes.

Theories pinning the wildfires on arsonists gained traction in recent days after police in the state of New South Wales announced that 24 people have been charged with deliberately lighting fires since November.

But wildfire researchers say it’s unreasonable to think the actions of two dozen possible offenders could have caused such destruction, with 20 million acres already scorched and more than 120 fires still active across southeastern Australia.

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/australia-s-wildfire-crisis-faces-new-foe-misinformation-n1112736

• Like 1

5 hours ago, elmrfudd said:

So now no arson has taken place? 

Unprecedented? How would we know what happened thousands of years ago when no one was here to record it? 

Get a grip. Climate change hysteria is not a sign of intellectual prowess. 

Scientists can get data on thousands of years ago by analysing ice cores and petrified trees. Please tell me, how is that laymen think they know better by reading media reports from an organisation with a vested interest in denying climate change is occurring?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Scientists can get data on thousands of years ago by analysing ice cores and petrified trees. Please tell me, how is that laymen think they know better by reading media reports from an organisation with a vested interest in denying climate change is occurring?

From the School of Hard Knocks and the University of Life, didn’t you know? 

• Haha 1

Just now, samran said:

From the School of Hard Knocks and the University of Life, didn’t you know? 

Oh, one of the "common sense" guys. Here's Ross Garnaut's statement for you to ponder. He's the guy who back in 2014 made recommendations on government responses to energy and climate change issues, which the Coalition studiously ignored.

"if you build a bridge and ignore the science of materials, the bridge will fall down".

"If you build an aircraft and ignore the science of aeronautics, the plane will crash"

It's my experience many of the people from the School of Hard Knocks didn't know how to slip the punches.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Oh, one of the "common sense" guys. Here's Ross Garnaut's statement for you to ponder. He's the guy who back in 2014 made recommendations on government responses to energy and climate change issues, which the Coalition studiously ignored.

"if you build a bridge and ignore the science of materials, the bridge will fall down".

"If you build an aircraft and ignore the science of aeronautics, the plane will crash"

It's my experience many of the people from the School of Hard Knocks didn't know how to slip the punches.

I agree. If this was the 1600s these blokes will be banging on how the earth was really flat. Actually, they still probably are...

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

I think this was his professor:

The Us made its manufacturing industry uncompetitive all by itself. The rot started back in the seventies when carmakers kept on making unreliable, gas-guzzling behemoths when consumers wanted something else. Somewhat ironic an American, W. Edwards Deming, taught the Japanese the statistical quality control principles that enabled them to slaughter the US car industry.

With Hitler it was the Jews, with Trump it's the Chinese. History repeats itself.

Sorry, off topic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Climate change aside,i think the only way you will ever control the fires is with fire breaks.

well, based on this summer, they’d need to be 40km wide, cause that’s how far embers are going...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, samran said:

well, based on this summer, they’d need to be 40km wide, cause that’s how far embers are going...

If that is the answer then it should be done.

Even at half that distance the fires would not be able to build the fronts they are and back burning would be a lot safer for the fireys.

Ok a few settlements would be sacrificed but nothing like were seeing now.

Edited by farmerjo

30 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Even at half that distance the fires would not be able to build the fronts they are and back burning would be a lot safer for the fireys.

Wrong. And missinformed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Climate change aside,i think the only way you will ever control the fires is with fire breaks.

Include hazard reduction measures, but this has had to be reduced in many areas due to days of total fire bans in so many regions during winter when this work often occurs.

• Thanks 1

The truth about Australia's fires — arsonists aren't responsible for many this season

Only about 1 percent of the land burnt in NSW this bushfire season can be officially attributed to arson, and it is even less in Victoria, the ABC can reveal.

The world has been shocked by the scenes of devastation as the unprecedented destruction of Australia's horror bushfire season rages on.

The disaster has sparked significant media speculation that many of the blazes were deliberately lit.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-11/australias-fires-reveal-arson-not-a-major-cause/11855022

5 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

For all the “experts” please note a report this morning has been released on your arson theory.  Combined statement from NSW, Victoria and South Australia. Less than 1% yes ONE percent of ???? fires have been caused by arsonists.  Most, as I stated in the case of fires in our region have been the result of dry lightening strikes.

You may find that unpalatable, along with the Garnaut reports, and reports from CSIRO and other peer reviewed scientists, I am sure your scientific qualifications far outweigh those of people who are peer reviewed.. You need another  scapegoat now once again your arson theory is debunked.  There is no shame in considering  shift of false belief.

I'll make a small bet the Murdoch media will keep on with the lies, however. It's in their DNA.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I'll make a small bet the Murdoch media will keep on with the lies, however. It's in their DNA.

.Very true..they have fed and nurtured the American radical right wing for years.

But,hopefully the Australian population is catching on if the residents of Cobargo are anything to go by.

ScoMo is almost entirely a creation of the Murdoch Press and cracks in the facade are beginning to appear.

11 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Um, are you pulling our legs.... hope you think, if that is possible, very hard before answering. Oh, by the way, trees actually help it rain... farmers have a saying, the rain follows the trees.

https://www.rainforestinfo.org.au/good_wood/trees_gs.htm

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The chest thumpers have followed the NRA talking points to a tee.

- Now is not the time to talk about politics

- Blame someone else except the obvious cause  (first it was the greens, but when that was debunked they moved to the arsonists)

- Whataboutisms about firsts in the 1800s and ‘common sense’ objections to the hard researched science. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, samran said:

The chest thumpers have followed the NRA talking points to a tee.

- Now is not the time to talk about politics

- Blame someone else except the obvious cause  (first it was the greens, but when that was debunked they moved to the arsonists)

- Whataboutisms about firsts in the 1800s and ‘common sense’ objections to the hard researched science. 

Then blame the trees....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

claims that a rainforest is always absorbing more carbon from the air is an outright lie

Absolutely correct. It is the oceans. Which account for 70+% of the surface of the planet. Limestone is carbon sequestered from the atmosphere. 

7 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Oh dear..

It's a topic about Australia and if only you had taken the time to see what a temperate Australian forest looks like..check back with my photos on Eastern temperate regions.These are the forests that are burning..subject to extreme climactic conditions.

DSCN0091.JPG

DSCN0089.JPG

6EB3EFA4-B244-4D83-99E9-32038E47827F.thumb.png.3c9a2889d32f9180c64f75fa1e3910b6.pngThe  blue bit at the bottom...Farmer Joe!

Edited by Olmate