Thousands of people trapped in Australian coastal town by huge wildfires

webfact

On 12/31/2019 at 10:52 AM, Phuketshrew said:

Just wondering whether the armed forces and their resources have been mobilized?

Yes they have, but remember armed forces are NOT trained fighfighters, but they are being used wherever they can, eg, heavy machinery, aircraft, of all types, ships/boats to evacuate etc.

On 12/31/2019 at 4:19 PM, marko kok prong said:

It could be horrendous this if the fire burns to the shore people will boil in the sea,a glimpse of things to come for all the world,terriyfying ,half of a continent is burning.

The sea will NOT boil...geez... and half the country is NOTburning, it's an area about the size of Belgium..... fake news mate.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 6:56 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Why don't people have filled water tanks at the ready with petrol powered 2" or more water pumps and hoses and masks to match is my question.

That makes sense. At the least either a swimming pool or a large water tank.

Years ago I read about a guy that had a large water tank with sprinklers along the roof. When the fire came the sprinklers saved his house by keeping the walls wet.

At the very least all houses in a fire zone should be built from or clad with fireproof material.

Boggles the mind how unprepared a lot of people are.

I gave up wondering at human willful blindness and unwillingness to face reality. People build houses in fire zones because it's beautiful, but they don't want to think about possible consequences. I think it's because the nanny state has removed people's critical thinking- it's all someone else's job to think about consequences.

How often do you think these fires affect these areas...yes, they have fires, but these ones are unprecedented (https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/dec/25/factcheck-why-australias-monster-2019-bushfires-are-unprecedented) some areas have been in drought for 3-5 years, tanks are empty, scheme water doesn't have much pressure, or high rate of flow, to fight these fires, someone, on this site, even suggested buckets... how dumb can they be.

"I think it's because the nanny state has removed people's critical thinking- it's all someone else's job to think about consequences" Shame on You.

You have no idea how these people "think," yet you sit, at a keyboard, in judgement.. how low can you go.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2020 at 7:00 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

As far as possible in the time available and the people able.

Everyone has a bucket with sand or dirt and something to attack spot fires.

or, would you prefer everyone to stand around crying and waiting to burn because it's someone else's job to save them?

You really have no idea what these fires are like, and how many spot fires can start, and spread, do you really think someone can stand where an ember will fall... geez, dumb as.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/video/2019/dec/31/australian-firefighters-capture-moment-truck-overrun-bushfire-video

Edited by Aussie999
  • Like 2

On 1/1/2020 at 7:05 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I think you posted the wrong response to him. It's the same as the one you used for my question. He asked about smoke jumpers, and you didn't answer that question.

Does Australia have the large flying boats that scoop up water to dump on fires like the US?

I hope the greens are exposed to public outrage if they stopped undergrowth clearing.

WE have many aircraft, the largest is a 737... a bit of research would help.

On 1/1/2020 at 7:13 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm well aware. I grew up on stories of the firestorms in Germany and Japan in WW2.

That's why I posted the bit about the guy who saved his own house.

and how about the ones that have died, trying to defend their homes.... you sir, are very wrong. Talking about cities burning, has no relevance to these fires.

On 1/1/2020 at 12:01 PM, RJRS1301 said:

There are over one hundred fires burning across NSW alone, has been going on for several months now, after a 3 year drought. One thousand buildings gone, several lives lost.

Firestorms create there own weather , A firestorm is a conflagration which attains such intensity that it creates and sustains its own wind system. It is most commonly a natural phenomenon, created during some of the largest bush fires and wildfires .Firestorms also explode the air in front of them due to intense heat conditions, buildings spontaneously explode.

Combined with its own wind pattern driven by 40klm external wind gusts.

Over 2000 volunteers on the ground fighting them across NSW, backed up professionals from across NSW, Canada and NZ.

Months over over 35 degree heatwave.

Some of the fire-fronts are hundreds of kilometers across

Similar happening in South Australia, Queensland, Victoria and Western Australia, over 400,000 hectares have been burned since November.

Chainsaws to clear debris is like pissing in the wind in this , firebreaks are cut continuously, but fires are jumping them, embers are travelling up to 10 klm in front of the fires 

Army also being used along with helicopters and fire bombing retarding jet aircraft

Firebreaks rarely stop a fire... but are used mainly to give firefighters access.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/1/2020 at 2:29 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Well said. Prevention is always the best way.

Wonder if things will change now, or if we'll be reading the same stories in a couple of years time.

Mmmm.. what a lot of people do NOT understand is that the Australian bush has evolved with bushfires, in fact some fauna requires the intense heat, of a summer burn, to germinate its seeds, as for the Aboriginals, yes, they burn off, in fact they destroyed the rainforest that once extended across the top of Australia, from the west coast to the east, they burn off to make it easier to hunt.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 8:01 AM, BB1958 said:

The "numbers" themselves are undoubtedly correct, what is missing is the "composition" of the particulates.

It is not safe to breathe this level of atmospheric pollution ANYWHERE, however, if one was in Chiang Mai, Beijing, Bangkok or Mumbai for example, the composition of the particulates would be exponentially more dangerous to ones health, than Canberra.

Simple searches across the internet, will confirm my ramblings, this Chinese documentary is brilliant, Chai Jing, is compelling. (NOTE: If you intend to watch, it has been "dubbed" into English)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiTgzoZQewM

and let's not forget, Canberra's air will return to clean air, after the fires are out, the other cities won't.

On 1/2/2020 at 8:10 AM, RJRS1301 said:

The opposition leader could not sell his complex message to the brainwashed voters.

They seem to like to be led by conservatives with the same vision as many conservatives elsewhere, saves them doing analytical thinking. Scare tactics work well also.

But he is now leader and should lead during a national crisis from west coast across to the east.

well actually, did we "vote" him back in...look closely at the results..Liberals 44... Labour 68, Liberals got in by their coalition votes... I must say, NO-ONE voted for a "Coalition" government, so in fact Scomo doesn't really have a mandate, and Australia gets a government NO-ONE voted for.

33 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

It's a well known fact, for those that live here... it's for safety reasons.

I see; so that'd be why they are frantically trying to restore power that has been cut by the fires? Such a well known fact I've never heard of it happening in Vic (which is the State relevant to this part of the discussion).

Guarantee cutting power to an area under threat of a bushfire is not standard operating procedure as the poster I replied to was alluding to.

So for safety, we'll cut of the electricity <deleted> those on life support, using electric pumps for sprinkler or hose systems, trying to fill up their car at petrol stations so they can evacuate, trying to fill up firefighting vehicles at petrol stations, trying to charge mobile phones or relying on landlines or computers/TVs for getting emergency warnings. And guess what, we'll do that without any notification on any news outlets or warning channels :coffee1:

Edited by Salerno

30 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

Mmmm.. what a lot of people do NOT understand is that the Australian bush has evolved with bushfires, in fact some fauna requires the intense heat, of a summer burn, to germinate its seeds, as for the Aboriginals, yes, they burn off, in fact they destroyed the rainforest that once extended across the top of Australia, from the west coast to the east, they burn off to make it easier to hunt.

fuana should be flora

13 minutes ago, Salerno said:

I see; so that'd be why they are frantically trying to restore power that has been cut by the fires? Such a well known fact I've never heard of it happening in Vic (which is the State relevant to this part of the discussion).

So for safety, we'll cut of the electricity <deleted> those on life support, using electric pumps for sprinkler or hose systems, trying to charge mobile phones or relying on landlines or computers/TVs for getting emergency warnings. And guess what, we'll do that without any notification on any news outlets or warning channels :coffee1:

Power is being restored, when it is "safe" to do so... really mate, you are trying to debate on an issue you do not understand.

Mate," we'll cut of the electricity <deleted> those on life support" they do actually evacuate people... you must be nuts to think they wouldn't.. keep up with the news, most of your stupid questions have been answered. And before you reply, most of these towns have already lost power, by the lines burning down... you cannot rely on electricity supplies during these fires...

Edited by Aussie999
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

I. A person who took shelter in half filled tank has died this week

2. We have had drought for 3 years

3 Towns have run out of drinking water, and have to have it shipped in, 

4. Cost of roof sprinklers (our home cost a small fortune ) and we still lost many out buildings

5 Fuel explodes during firestorms

6 If they could fill swimming pools they have done that.

When you have a fire with front of several (up to 60 klm) and driven byn it own created winds of about 50klm an hour (min) and embers coming from20 klm away, it is hard to imagine unless you have experienced it

So true, it pisses me off when we get some posts here from people who just don't know, and yet give their "expert" opinions.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

So true, it pisses me off when we get some posts here from people who just don't know, and yet give their "expert" opinions.

I think he was trying to understand, but offering unhelpful solutions to a very complex set of weather conditions. Which have been in play since late October early November, and places which have never in recorded European history had bushfires are now ground zero

I am sure he is better informed by now, especailly if he has looked at any online footage.

Two dead on Kangaroo Island found in their car, and we are informed if trapped remain in your vehicle and take a set of prescribed precautions

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

You really have no idea what these fires are like, and how many spot fires can start, and spread, do you really think someone can stand where an ember will fall... geez, dumb as.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/video/2019/dec/31/australian-firefighters-capture-moment-truck-overrun-bushfire-video

3 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

as I said "thaibeachlover" know jack<deleted>te.. about the history of Australian fires .

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

I. A person who took shelter in half filled tank has died this week

2. We have had drought for 3 years

3 Towns have run out of drinking water, and have to have it shipped in, 

4. Cost of roof sprinklers (our home cost a small fortune ) and we still lost many out buildings

5 Fuel explodes during firestorms

6 If they could fill swimming pools they have done that.

When you have a fire with front of several (up to 60 klm) and driven byn it own created winds of about 50klm an hour (min) and embers coming from20 klm away, it is hard to imagine unless you have experienced it

Heh, Thaibeachlovers knows everything about the bush fires , The radiant heat will burn the home before the actual fire gets there .But , he knows this ..RIGHT..

Edited by kevvy

2 minutes ago, kevvy said:

Heh, Thaibeachlovers knows everything about the bush fires , The radiant heat will burn the home before the actual fire gets there .But , he knows this ..RIGHT..

They explode as happened here to some of our outbuildings.

The air explodes inside and around them, and if there if there is fuel stored in them as many out building have, or farming equipment with fuel tanks, then "good night nurse"

• Like 1

A quick question. I saw the video a couple of days ago of the fire-fighters trapped in their vehicle, putting up blankets to the windows as the fire raged outside. I wondered why the fuel in the tank didn't explode. Presumably well sealed and the fire not hot enough.

2 minutes ago, bannork said:

A quick question. I saw the video a couple of days ago of the fire-fighters trapped in their vehicle, putting up blankets to the windows as the fire raged outside. I wondered why the fuel in the tank didn't explode. Presumably well sealed and the fire not hot enough.

Diesel.

11 minutes ago, bannork said:

The diesel generally will not ignite from a flame, but at sufficient heat it will explode, I do not know what temperate that is though

Just looked it up abput 200deg celcius

Edited by RJRS1301