Defiant Japanese housewife says: "We're staying in Thailand" despite horror knife attack on husband

webfact

Defiant Japanese housewife says: "We're staying in Thailand" despite horror knife attack on husband

1pm.jpg

Thai caption. Excited by drugs they went together to rob.

The wife of a Japanese office worker who was stabbed four times in a vicious robbery outside his Bangkok home has said that the family intend to stay in Thailand. 

Azusa Uchida has spoken at length to Thaivisa about the attack a few days before Christmas that left her husband in ICU. 

She said that she always thought Thailand was safe and even now she doesn't feel it is dangerous. 

1pm1.jpg

Picture : INN

The couple have lived in Thailand on and off for five years with their three children. 

Her 38 year old husband - who she asked us not to name - was attacked in Soi Ekkamai (Soi 63) by two men on a motorcycle. They had been preying on foreigners in the area.

They have just been arrested and taken on a reenactment. One is 23 year old Somrak Iamphan, the other an 18 year old named only as "A". They were arrested in Sukhumvit Road Soi 101/1, reported INN. 

The clothes they wore on December 21st, helmets and motorcycle were all taken into evidence.

Daily News posted CCTV of the incident and said that 20,000 baht was stolen after the husband resisited his attackers. 

INN echoed this saying that the Japanese man fought back according to evidence given by the two thieves. 

They used the money from the robbery to buy drugs and play online games. They also bought a 50 satang (10,500 baht value) item of gold jewelry to show off to friends. 

Speaking to Klong Tan police they admitted to two previous thefts of foreigners in the area. 

They have been charged with robbery endangering life armed with a knife at night. 

Azusa, 39, has been blogging in Japanese on Facebook ever since the incident. Her husband has been in ICU since the incident and she told Thaivisa that he had a latest surgery just yesterday. 

She hopes he will be out in a week or so. The couple have spent five years in Thailand in two spells. They came back earlier this year after a year's break in Japan. 

She said: "We totally thought Thailand was safe. But I don't think it is dangerous either.

"We will stay". 

She said that she felt very sad that such a thing could happen and wanted to write about it to warn others. On hearing about the actions of the thieves she called it "fool reasons" and a "miserable incident".

1pmm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

She has blogged about the incident happening to her family as a sign that she should do something to effect change and help make things better. 

This was a view apparently not shared by her eldest of three children, a nine year old. After the incident that left their father stricken the child said: "I wish I could kill the criminals when they are found". 

The husband is an office worker and the family are not tourists as reported in various Thai media. 

Azusa thanked Thaivisa for publicizing the incident saying: "It is very helpful for many people to know about such incidents and thus become aware to stay safe". 

Thaivisa notes that there is a large community of Japanese expats and "salarymen" who live in the Sukhumvit Road area with their families. The incident to one of their has sent shock waves through the tight-knit community. 

Sources: INN | Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-31

• Like 2

6 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Its not safe. If you can afford to leave. Do so! Husband or you or the rest of your family might not be so lucky. That said, im also a stupid stubborn rambo!

Your a funny guy, but seen that in many of your post. No country is safe and I have no problems with Thais and never been robbed like most people. Not sure why you feel so unsafe. 

• Like 2

On 12/31/2019 at 9:26 AM, webfact said:

They used the money from the robbery to buy drugs and play online games. They also bought a 50 satang (10,500 baht value) item of gold jewelry to show off to friends.

Mentality of children....

I'm betting that the victim's thoughts are likely inline with the 9 year old daughter.  I wouldn't blame the victim if he has a bad attitude about Thai's in general from now on. This kind of crime is frightening. Hard to believe those criminals would have chosen fellow Thai's to rob at knife point, they were after farang, any farang would do. Could be any one of us in the ICU. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...a victim of a crime......

...who pays the medical bill.....???

Working so will at least have Thai coverage through social payments and probably part of his expat package would be family cover

On 12/31/2019 at 9:38 AM, unamazedloso said:

Its not safe. If you can afford to leave. Do so! Husband or you or the rest of your family might not be so lucky. That said, im also a stupid stubborn rambo!

The woman (and her husband) may feel strong and determined to continue the expat life. But having three young kids, and having to worry about their safety each and every day, is a whole different thing. I know that I, for the sake of the children, would leave in their situation.

Edited by StayinThailand2much