Survey - why do you wear trousers?

SteveK

Survey - why do you wear trousers?  

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 hours ago, SteveK said:

Climate change is a hoax. The climate of this planet has been changing for 4.5 billion years. It's only very recently that people started to be concerned with it and forced their children to be outspoken about the matter in the hope of getting some YouTube income.

Bloody hell mate! What are you doing lounging around on Thai Visa? The world needs to know your unique and valuable insight! I'm sure you've got the data and knowledge to back it up, so get to the University and put it on the line! Publish or perish! Remember - once you prove to those 98% of idiotic scientists that they're barking up the wrong tree, you're going to be showered with gold by the oil and coal industries, so why waste your time here?

As I've noted in the past, it's astonishing to me the number of Climate Change experts who have somehow or another found their voices only on Thaivisa, and not in the ivory towers of academia where they clearly belong. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only have I worn trousers practically every day I've spent in Asia, I have a terrible confession to make. I also wear socks. Every day.

Even worse, and I don't know if I should admit this lest I become a pariah on the board, but...I wear socks and shoes, not sandals.

For those who have not consigned me to the seventh circle of Dante's hell, allow me to state my reason quite simply. I hate mozzies, and they ALWAYS go for my ankles and feet when exposed. So I don't expose them, and hence don't get bit. Ever. You can proceed to now mock my dedicated following of fashion, but I have one fact that is in my favour - in my 30+ years in Southeast Asia, I have never had Dengue. Of my mates with similar history or longer here, I know nobody else like that. Given what I've observed of Dengue, especially the 2nd and 3rd go-rounds, I'm willing to put up with the supposed "discomfort", which actually doesn't bother me at all.

What exactly are trousers? The word seems very old fashioned ( or British and they haven’t come up with a more modern term yet). Would khakis , jeans and sweats be considered trousers?  Do trousers need to be a dark color?  It seems both hot and a little strange to walk around a place with dark “ pants” on when it’s 32-34 degrees most days and usually sunny. Also one of the answers was a place to wear your belt?  Most shorts I know of require a belt. Also a couple posters have mentioned only wearing long trousers. Are there short trousers? Trousers seem foreign to me. 

7 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Not only have I worn trousers practically every day I've spent in Asia, I have a terrible confession to make. I also wear socks. Every day.

Even worse, and I don't know if I should admit this lest I become a pariah on the board, but...I wear socks and shoes, not sandals.

For those who have not consigned me to the seventh circle of Dante's hell, allow me to state my reason quite simply. I hate mozzies, and they ALWAYS go for my ankles and feet when exposed. So I don't expose them, and hence don't get bit. Ever. You can proceed to now mock my dedicated following of fashion, but I have one fact that is in my favour - in my 30+ years in Southeast Asia, I have never had Dengue. Of my mates with similar history or longer here, I know nobody else like that. Given what I've observed of Dengue, especially the 2nd and 3rd go-rounds, I'm willing to put up with the supposed "discomfort", which actually doesn't bother me at all.

I bet most of us have not had Dengue. I know of none. Have you ever heard of mosquito spray? There is organic as well. They both work fine. 

5 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

Nope. From Southern California.

After 50 years of sunlight, I've filled my quota.

Why not move to Britain sounds like a dream place for you now and you could take the hat and extra clothes off. 

20 hours ago, SteveK said:

Don't know where you come from but Thailand is a damn sight hotter than the UK - shorts are essential to prevent excessive ball sweating and associated fungal infections.

Nonsens where I live (Bangkok Metropolis) you see hardly see a Thai in short pants. In the centre of Bangkok NEVER.

Generally I’m a shorts man here in LOS, but if I go to the hospital , immigration or some other official government location I tend to wear trousers. I find it helps to distinguish oneself from some of the oils you see in beach shorts and Chang singlets.

Guess it’s just the way I’ve been brought up.

43 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I bet most of us have not had Dengue. I know of none. Have you ever heard of mosquito spray? There is organic as well. They both work fine. 

Well, I was referring to my peers, those who have been working in rural development in Southeast Asia over 30 years or so although many I know who got it have been here a shorter time than I. We're probably a lot more exposed, so to speak. 

Mozzie spray is not 100% protection, whereas the tiny buggers here can't get through a thin layer of clothes, never mind my cotton socks and blue jeans. In Canada, you'd have to wear kevlar clothes to gain the same effect.

I'm 68 yrs old... Have never worn jeans in my life, very rarely worn trousers, since moving to Thailand, very rarely wear solid shoes, only flip flops,shorts and tee shirt. 

Intend to live at least 25 more years like this. 

I can't understand why guys wear long trousers in a tropical country.

20 hours ago, SteveK said:

Don't know where you come from but Thailand is a damn sight hotter than the UK - shorts are essential to prevent excessive ball sweating and associated fungal infections.

Not essential.  But why do you let your balls hang out of your shorts?

1 hour ago, JCauto said:

Bloody hell mate! What are you doing lounging around on Thai Visa? The world needs to know your unique and valuable insight! I'm sure you've got the data and knowledge to back it up, so get to the University and put it on the line! Publish or perish! Remember - once you prove to those 98% of idiotic scientists that they're barking up the wrong tree, you're going to be showered with gold by the oil and coal industries, so why waste your time here?

As I've noted in the past, it's astonishing to me the number of Climate Change experts who have somehow or another found their voices only on Thaivisa, and not in the ivory towers of academia where they clearly belong. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQHhDxRuTkI&t=1230s

21 hours ago, Matzzon said:

As I wouldn´t walk around in shorts wherever I go in my home country, I have been taken it as a rule to keep also in Thailand. 

You gotta be kidding me!!  Love to see those white legs..

21 hours ago, Matzzon said:

As I wouldn´t walk around in shorts wherever I go in my home country, I have been taken it as a rule to keep also in Thailand. 

You gotta be kidding me!!  Love to see those white legs..

21 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Because of mosquitoes.

Yes indeed, my reason as well (also for biting flies, spiders, wasps and bees). I always wear long trousers/jeans when I go out, especially around dusk when the "mossies" are at their worst! I only wear shorts in the house.

22 hours ago, SteveK said:

I never wear shorts, I cycle about 15 Ks and spend time in the local exercise park most days and never have excessive ball sweating or associated fugal infections.

The reason I don't wear shorts is because in my opinion, they look absolutely hideous on a grown man, and being a reasonably good looking guy, tall, slim, and no big belly, facial hair or tattoos, I take pride in my appearance.

Archived