Thais told: If your young kid dies after letting them drive - YOU'VE MURDERED THEM!

webfact

On 2 January 2020 at 2:32 PM, webfact said:

A road safety expert has pulled no punches after a 12 year old died on New Year's Eve behind the wheel of a pick-up.

This is potentially huge news, and wonder if it can be corroborated.   Does Thailand really have a road safety expert?

• Haha 1

On 1/2/2020 at 2:41 PM, Pilotman said:

Parents are as dumb as bricks. They let their kids get away with far too much and it breeds the lunatics that we see on the road everyday

It's the same as riding a motor cycle with many young people on it presumably it's their mother or father driving it. 

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 3:23 PM, ParkerN said:

Thais are very close to nature, and some of them in my view, share more in common with the local wildlife than with human brings. Watch the way they behave and see what I mean.

You are right, part from that most other animals take care of there kids.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 2:59 PM, Chelseafan said:

I agree with you but there's no transport to get them to school other than the motorbike.

You may well say that it's up to the parents to drive them there but mum and dad are working in the fields at silly-o-clock.

I'm actually surprised that there's not more fatalities in the sticks.

Bicycles. There are definitely bicycles. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 2:59 PM, Chelseafan said:

I agree with you but there's no transport to get them to school other than the motorbike.

You may well say that it's up to the parents to drive them there but mum and dad are working in the fields at silly-o-clock.

I'm actually surprised that there's not more fatalities in the sticks.

BS!

bicycles exist, and sitable for school kids!

most of the kids go to school actally within few kms tops, often in reality no more than 10-20 min walk.

surprise maybe, but every something size village seem to have elementary schools, and a wat ( if not two).

especially out on the sticks!

sure, walking is dangerous too with mobile phones in hand, plenty ditch and holes on the roads, and it is lot less fun to bicycle and speed race with it at night....

• Like 1

Many years ago on another forum leaning towards motorcycle matters  it was bought up that it is possible to ride a two wheeler with an engine under 107cc if the rider is unlicensed to ride a motorcycle  and does not exceed 30kph.  Whether that law still exists I  have no idea but if it does you could go some way to explaining why the cops take little interest in the youngsters on scooters and motorcycles.  One poster suggested the minimum age was 12.

22 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

Many years ago on another forum leaning towards motorcycle matters  it was bought up that it is possible to ride a two wheeler with an engine under 107cc if the rider is unlicensed to ride a motorcycle  and does not exceed 30kph.  Whether that law still exists I  have no idea but if it does you could go some way to explaining why the cops take little interest in the youngsters on scooters and motorcycles.  One poster suggested the minimum age was 12.

The Police  Do take interest at the convenience moment of  random check points. They will even accept the school kids  lunch money to let  them  ride away.

The saddest part is that it is of course an obvious accusation for Thai to be Told  yet if they are assisting in the murder of their children hell will freeze over before parents are automatically held accountable.

As with most issues in Thailand it is the ineffectual enforcement of Law that perpetuates each issue.

It is  not ignorance every time on the part of the average Thai. It is the knowledge that avoidance of compliance due to random enforcement allows them to ignore.

Until Thailand achieves a genuine Police Force as most would understand it then  nothing will change.

It seems  ridiculous that in countless places  Thai Police supervise the safety of school children arriving and  departing enmasse through school gates on motorcycles but wearing no helmets  and  so many obviously not of an age to gain a license. ????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tingtong said:

BS!

bicycles exist, and sitable for school kids!

most of the kids go to school actally within few kms tops, often in reality no more than 10-20 min walk.

surprise maybe, but every something size village seem to have elementary schools, and a wat ( if not two).

especially out on the sticks!

sure, walking is dangerous too with mobile phones in hand, plenty ditch and holes on the roads, and it is lot less fun to bicycle and speed race with it at night....

You have no idea of the location of the school nor do you know where my missus lives so I'm very surprised that you can call this BS especially as I've given the reasons why bicycles are not viable in my circumstance.

• Like 1

Unbelievable . Outrageous !

Thai mindset, and people think Thailand is Paradise ????

The Thai way of passing the buck, as usual.????????

The word Education seems to be missing within Thai culture...????

Drink and drive  it is ok.????????

Do not educate young people, it is ok.????????

Life does not matter, it is ok.????????

NO PROBLEM...????  it is ok ????????????????

Most posters on this forum do not live in a small village, or come from a small town or village, so they do not know what the poor people in Thailand live like.

Most think of their own situations, and respond accordingly. Most posters here are

in the category of a middle class to upper class Thai, so can not possibly fathom, life as

a poor person. I guess this situation will not change as well. I feel sorry for the boys parents, brothers and sisters and friends who now may realize how foolish it was for the boy to be allowed to drive pickups and other 4 wheeled vehicles. His habit cost him his life.

RIP. 

Geezer

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Middle class priveledge 

11 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Most posters on this forum do not live in a small village, or come from a small town or village, so they do not know what the poor people in Thailand live like.

Most think of their own situations, and respond accordingly. Most posters here are

in the category of a middle class to upper class Thai, so can not possibly fathom, life as

a poor person. I guess this situation will not change as well. I feel sorry for the boys parents, brothers and sisters and friends who now may realize how foolish it was for the boy to be allowed to drive pickups and other 4 wheeled vehicles. His habit cost him his life.

RIP. 

Geezer

Middle class privledge is frequently unrecognised by those of us who live it.

18 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

From Melbourne??

Yeah..

One of the purported origins of the famous Aussie phrase "Buckley's and none.."

A good one I think as the Great War Victorian soldiers also gave us "furphy" at around the same time.

Another good joke occurred in the Korean War when the Americans erected a large sign proclaiming "The Nth Division..second to none

Just down the road the Aussies erected an even larger sign which just said "NONE"

Back on topic:I applaud any Thai agency that is finally attempting to grapple with the concept of responsibility in laissez faire Thailand.

Edited by Odysseus123

3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yeah..

One of the purported origins of the famous Aussie phrase "Buckley's and none.."

A good one I think as the Great War Victorian soldiers also gave us "furphy" at around the same time.

Another good joke occurred in the Korean War when the Americans erected a large sign proclaiming "The Nth Division..second to none!"

Just down the road the Aussies erected an even larger sign which just read "NONE"

Yes William Buckley certainly proved his captors to be wrong.

I am old enough to have shopped at the Buckley and Nunn store though, ( nothing to do with saying though)

Edited by RJRS1301

20 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

RIP. 

Geezer

Whilst you raise a few good points I must admit that I eventually found the tiresome village mantra "but we are poor!' to be just an excuse to avoid change and responsibility and when they were given the opportunity to improve themselves, too few grasped the nettle because it usually meant stepping out of their constricted comfort zone.

A few did however and they went great guns-but they didn't use the "but we are poor" excuse anyway.

12 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Yes William Buckley certainly proved his captors to be wrong.

I am old enough to have shopped at the Buckley and Nunn store though, ( nothing to do with saying though)

Most of us know about William Buckley-just a picturesque alternative to the original phrase.

Edited by Odysseus123

On 1/2/2020 at 8:19 PM, Chelseafan said:

Again, I'm not disagreeing but given where the kids live, there's just no way we would allow them ride pushbikes. The cars come around those bends at 50+ mph sometimes and I suspect there would be more deaths of schoolkids on the roads. I don't like motorbikes, I don't like the kids driving them either but unfortunately they are a practicality out in the provinces.

I hope you're not suggesting a child is safer driving a motorbike on those roads than a push bike.....

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 10:40 AM, Grumpy John said:

And assuming the kid wasn't skilled is a bit unkind.  

Not only was he not skilled, as he could not control the car down a hill, he was underage, unlicensed and uninsured.

So when some youth causes an accident with your family, you will be quite happy to accept the circumstances?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

RIP. 

Geezer

I've long hadn't you down as the king of conjecture. This proves my opinion once again.

they start young maybe 10 on a scooter,once a bit older they go to the car.how long has it  that being going for.the parents are ok with that and say nothing.look at the school when it ends the young kids who have a scooter.no license for sure,helmet optional. then police also let they kids do the same.this is Thailand and somehow things like this will not change

• Like 1