Thais told: If your young kid dies after letting them drive - YOU'VE MURDERED THEM!

webfact

What parent in their right mind lets their 12 year old kid drive a pick up truck? What gives here? Where is the common sense, and desire to protect one's offspring? And where is the law enforcement? Such astonishing indifference. The police are as much to blame as the parents. 

• Like 2

Thai society has evolved like this and it will never change. Poor people have to get by any way they can and the law will never be a barrier that they care about.  The Government need to do more to help them not buy submarines and arms for a useless army and navy mostly made up of young conscripted kids. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, webfact said:

They quoted the victim's grandfather Khamchai, 60, as saying that Withaya had been driving since he was eight or nine and drove all manner of vehicles. He claimed to have spoken up about it but no one listened to him.

I wonder what he's saying now... is he still proud?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Happens all the time, there is a 14 year old near us who the locals pay a couple of hundred Baht to do deliveries in his Dad's old Isuzu pickup (which looks like it shouldn't be anywhere near a road).

He's also 'geng maak' behind the wheel, apparently. ????

Fun

18 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Happens all the time, there is a 14 year old near us who the locals pay a couple of hundred Baht to do deliveries in his Dad's old Isuzu pickup (which looks like it shouldn't be anywhere near a road).

He's also 'geng maak' behind the wheel, apparently. ????

Unfortunately in Thailand it’s more the norm than not the norm with young students driving unlicense motorcycle,motor vehicles,tractors ect, on the roads mainly in villages without a care in the world

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I agree with you but there's no transport to get them to school other than the motorbike.

You may well say that it's up to the parents to drive them there but mum and dad are working in the fields at silly-o-clock.

I'm actually surprised that there's not more fatalities in the sticks.

Bicycles are safer and can be used some of the time ie distances of under 8kms.../Govt Initiative to promote cheap bikes??

18 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I agree with you but there's no transport to get them to school other than the motorbike.

You may well say that it's up to the parents to drive them there but mum and dad are working in the fields at silly-o-clock.

my deceased wife and her brother had to walk 6 kilometers to school and back.They were not allowed to drive anything.

• Thanks 1

It’s neglect not murder. Of course a child should be taken to school by an adult if it’s not safe for them to walk or cycle, but that’s not always a practical option.

Edited by Jack P
Additional thoughts
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, roo860 said:

Have Thai friends whose daughter was 11 and riding motorbike, we ask her why she let her ride it, the answer was if we tried to stop her she'd make problems.

????????????????

thai's dont like confrontation even parental children one's

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

What parent in their right mind lets their 12 year old kid drive a pick up truck? What gives here? Where is the common sense, and desire to protect one's offspring? And where is the law enforcement? Such astonishing indifference. The police are as much to blame as the parents. 

you've been here long enough to know thai's dont have commonsense,and that there is no law enforcement(not having a go at you) our culture and thai culture are poles apart and will never meet.So we never understand each other really.

• Like 2

my brother wa a great driver at age 10. he later was a race car driver. at 12, I assume he drove well but....this is the problem.....at a young age one mistake and it is all over. my brother made mistakes but lived. play the odds and wait for young people. yes, some can drive well but letting them by themselves, no seat belt, etc. the odds are against them

• Like 1

My 14 year old son is probably the only child in his class who gets dropped off at school each day all his friends ride bikes .

I remember buying a 50cc moped at 16 hiding it from my dad at a friends house here they buy them a honda wave or bigger at about 10 years old.

I must admit i did always complain about all the rules in the U.K but they are enforced for a good reason.

Seen a young lad go to the shops the other day and he had to lean the bike over to tip toe with one foot when he stopped .

• Like 1

A lot of angry people with opinions in this thread!  Making assumptions about paying 2000 baht fine.  And thinking because Thai's drive a new pickup they have money in the bank!   For Thai's at the low end everything is bought on credit, probably nothing in the bank,  So 2000 baht is a big deal.  And assuming the kid wasn't skilled is a bit unkind.  When 10 I had to drive the tractor whilst dad rode the plow...and at 12 I was driving the pickup.  I never had a traffic accident till I was 24 and a licensed driver!  It was an accident plain and simple, unfortunately the kid died. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Bicycles?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I wonder how they cope then in Laos, Cambodia, Philippines, Vietnam, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, or any of dozens of other countries with poor public transport. And whose fault is the poor public transport anyway. The Thai government, who couldn't give a rat's fart about anyone outside of their circle of rich friends and who never take public transport anyway. Thailand is far, far beyond repair without a major revolution, and that is never going to happen.

And many of them anyway do have transport to take them to and from school. The problem is that it is often no less dangerous. Often even more so. Basically, there is zero concept of safety in Thailand, whichever way you turn, in whatever field. How so many people can be so stupid is impossible to understand. Common sense should dictate, but that simply doesn't exist here.

Road Safety 1.jpg

Road Safety 4.jpg

52 minutes ago, Grusa said:

And why does the school not have the funds? Because the principal has embezzled most of the funds, such as are left after the minister has embezzled the funds, such as are left after his Big Boss has embezzled the funds.

Stop the flow of corruption and there would be plenty for school buses. There might even be enough left to educate the teachers to educate the children, who could then educate the parents.

Like all things in Thailand, it's not only possible but most likely probable.

Unfortunately corruption is just a way of life, Still Prayut will sort it all out ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, saminoz said:

"Young people are just not equipped with the necessary skills to drive."

Thais are generally not  equipped with the necessary skills to live in a civilised society.

So I am hoping you do not live here, or have a Thai partner or children

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Again, I'm not disagreeing but given where the kids live, there's just no way we would allow them ride pushbikes. The cars come around those bends at 50+ mph sometimes and I suspect there would be more deaths of schoolkids on the roads. I don't like motorbikes, I don't like the kids driving them either but unfortunately they are a practicality out in the provinces.

So how do they go to school?

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have sais it many times before and probably will again later,as long as 'Mai pen rai'

rules in Thailand nothing will change.