Thais told: If your young kid dies after letting them drive - YOU'VE MURDERED THEM!

webfact

17 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Have Thai friends whose daughter was 11 and riding motorbike, we ask her why she let her ride it, the answer was if we tried to stop her she'd make problems.

????????????????

Hmmm. Well, in my experience, if you have kids, you can't (or don't) have a quiet life with no kid problems. In this case, the parent is blaming the kid for making parenting problems. I doubt this. It is always the responsibility of the parent.

Make a choice, but don't make it solely on the basis of reacting to hormonal tides. The human body and mind are both extraordinary but neither one is perfect.

2 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

My soon-to-be wife's kids live 5 miles from school. There is no school bus/ Songthaw and there's no way they can walk as it's a bendy country road. Might have buses in some villages but not all of them.

Then ask the government to issue proper training and licenses. Otherwise, accept there are reasons why not. If you're hungry, do you steal food? would you steal a motorbike if you didn't have one? Same same. Prevail upon the school and apply what pressure you can to get a school bus so the kids are safer.

Be a decent parent And a law-abiding citizen. If you're a resident, then contribute something to Thailand.

Edited by ParkerN

4 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

My soon-to-be wife's kids live 5 miles from school. There is no school bus/ Songthaw and there's no way they can walk as it's a bendy country road. Might have buses in some villages but not all of them.

Ever heard of a bicycle?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ParkerN said:

Then ask the government to issue proper training and licenses. Otherwise, accept there are reasons why not. If you're hungry, do you steal food? would you steal a motorbike if you didn't have one? Same same. Prevail upon the school and apply what pressure you can to get a school bus so the kids are safer.

Be a decent parent And a law-abiding citizen. If you're a resident, then contribute something to Thailand.

I don't live there at present but purleease get yourself into the real world? The school does not have the funds for anything as extravagant as a school bus & driver

There is no way I would ask the kids to cycle, walk, crawl, hop etc to the school on a bendy road that encourages drivers to speed - That's being a decent parent and as I don't live there I really do not have any say.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, varun said:

Increase the penalty to 200,000 baht.

The only form of discipline that Thai's can truly understand is all stick and no carrot.

Unfortunately, this will never happen in a million years.

Just accept it as a twisted form of population control.

No point in increasing the penalty as it would be unenforceable.

Increase police presence, if child caught driving, parents charged, mandatory incarceration for one month of at least one of them, confiscation of vehicle for minimum 3 months, mandatory welfare supervision for family for 12 months.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I am sure about the Thai you mix with, that is certainly not my experience.

I know some highly intelligent Thai people, I think to denigrate by that statement is diengenuous to your host country.

There are exceptions, pity they are not making important decisions like running the country or heading up authorities like police and local government

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, smedly said:

There are exceptions, pity they are not making important decisions like running the country or heading up authorities like police and local government

You can write policies for ministers, does not mean they even come near to implementation, if indeed they are analysed by cabinet. Then there is the local application of them if they are passed and accepted, the wheels need greasing

17 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Another unnecessary tragedy ! R.I.P.

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Young people are just not equipped with the necessary skills to drive.

Unless you bring in a stringent driving test, neither are a lot of others on the road here.

Edited 17 hours ago by Thaiwrath

"people are just not equipped"

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Rath - in a story laced with opinion and warnings - said that under 18s are not permitted to drive. Parents can be fined 2,000 baht for letting their children drive. 

Unfortunately once again no real deterrents either with the fines or sentences, the police are not strong enough trying to live life with as little conflict as possible so they are not looked down upon by the locals who do not realise that strict laws are needed to improve quality of life. The statement that parents CAN be fined 2,000 baht but normally it is only 500 baht as the Thai's cannot afford more than this figure however they can afford to buy cars, trucks & bikes...???

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chazar said:

no  good  unless  you  can  actually  get  it

they say the parents have murdered their kid, well charge them with murder, or at least 2nd. degree murder, lets see if that message gets home.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ParkerN said:

the absence of any police or other law-enforcement

Agree with everything else you wrote but the above: it is the parents responsibility to ensure that keys to vehicles, tools, guns and other dangerous objects are kept out of the reach of those who are to young/immature to use them safely. 

It seems to be a typical attitude here that the police are responsible for this and the teachers are responsible for something else. No so in my books. 

Parents are responsible for their children's safety, upbringing, education, health, diet, etc. 

• Like 2