Veganism is a belief protected under UK law, tribunal rules

rooster59

5 hours ago, Number 6 said:

How do you know there's a vegan/vegetarian in the room?

They'll tell you in ten minutes

How utterly stupid. Next will be hate laws, enforcement for ridiculing this unhealthy behavior.

Restaurants forced to have divided kitchens and dining areas blah blah blah.

What about Nicotenism, can we have a law so that we don't have to sit outside in the rain?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Number 6 said:

How utterly stupid. Next will be hate laws, enforcement for ridiculing this unhealthy behavior.

A woman has just done 10 days over Xmas for essentially just that.

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Veganism is no more unhealthy than any other diet.

As long as you take care to eat in a manner that includes all the nutritional values a body needs, then you will be fine. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Denim said:

But will queue outside Greggs to try a synthetic steak.

Old habits die hard.

Why shouldn’t they?

Do you believe that vegans cannot eat food because of its flavour?

As long as the food is vegan in content, why would you think they cannot eat it?

Edited by Bluespunk

18 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...Choosing to be a vegan for ethical reasons is a "philosophical belief" that warrants protection by law, a tribunal in Britain has ruled in a landmark hearing..."

"...It definitely opens up the door for other beliefs to get protected status..."

Hmm...

Can I claim "Beerism" as my philosophical belief and get free beer at all events?

Just askin'

PS I am also a "Weed-ist" and a "Hot Young Thai Chick-ist" as a philosophical matter. Can I get those provided as well? You know; in order to be 'Spiritually complete'?

I know you are kidding, and i did find your post funny 5555, but there is a set of criteria that need to be met for a "belief" to be protected under article 9 of the the Human Rights Act 1998.and unfortunate as it might sound ?"Beerism" and some of your other prefered activities do not meet such criteria.

below is some information if you chose to pursue your claim further, or perhaps we can discuss it over a couple of Beers lol.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/civil-rights/human-rights/what-rights-are-protected-under-the-human-rights-act/your-right-to-freedom-of-religion-and-belief/

20 hours ago, rooster59 said:

[...]

Choosing to be a vegan for ethical reasons is a "philosophical belief" that warrants protection by law, a tribunal in Britain has ruled in a landmark hearing.

[...]

Ethical veganism has no agreed definition

Absolutely amazing!  Laws protecting something with no agreed definition.  Let's see how far this one goes.

Well, my neighbor killed a rat that was on his property and the sight of the poor, dead creature has left me traumatized to the point that I can't work and the only thing I can do to assuage the feelings of horror is to consume cannabis every 2 hours.  Lawsuit time!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Absolutely amazing!  Laws protecting something with no agreed definition.  Let's see how far this one goes.

Well, my neighbor killed a rat that was on his property and the sight of the poor, dead creature has left me traumatized to the point that I can't work and the only thing I can do to assuage the feelings of horror is to consume cannabis every 2 hours.  Lawsuit time!

If you have bothered to follow the link provided in post #41  tour question would have being answered in Religion or belief is defined in section 10 of the Equality Act 2010.

and there were strict criteria that were considered by a court of law, and found to apply in the above case. 

If your "rat killing case prescribes to the above criteria your case will indeed have merit also .

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/advice-and-guidance/religion-or-belief-what-it-and-why-it-important

If indeed you are interested in this issue the above is a link you should follow. Disregard it if you are only interested in offering uneducated in the subject opinion.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, sirineou said:

If you have bothered to follow the link provided in post #41  tour question would have being answered in Religion or belief is defined in section 10 of the Equality Act 2010.

and there were strict criteria that were considered by a court of law, and found to apply in the above case. 

If your "rat killing case prescribes to the above criteria your case will indeed have merit also .

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/advice-and-guidance/religion-or-belief-what-it-and-why-it-important

If indeed you are interested in this issue the above is a link you should follow. Disregard it if you are only interested in offering uneducated in the subject opinion.

I'll stick with the latter, it's more fun.

Thank you for the permission to do so, quite gracious of you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bendejo said:

I'll stick with the latter, it's more fun.

Thank you for the permission to do so, quite gracious of you.

No disrespect intended simply an observation.My apologies for the terseness of my reply  You are a grown man you certainly don't need my permission and i hope I did not imply that. From your reply I thought you were interested in the subject and went thorough the trouble of posting relevant information and links, My mistake. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Veganism is no more unhealthy than any other diet.

As long as you take care to eat in a manner that includes all the nutritional values a body needs, then you will be fine. 

I can honestly state that I've never met a person that does not eat fish or animal meat that appears strong and healthy. Often energy levels are low. Complete anecdotal observation. 

It's expensive and much of the food is very processed.

The fat girl I'm a vegetarian thing is always good for a laff. No...it appears you're a sugar carboterian that doesn't eat meat.

Healthy balanced diet. Japanese, Mediterranean.

Then there's the freak factor of all the exceptional food around the globe they miss out on. It's like living in a two dimensional world. Especially Thailand. Many *vegetarians* in Thailand just use it as a public excuse not to eat Thai food.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I can honestly state that I've never met a person that does not eat fish or animal meat that appears strong and healthy. Often energy levels are low. Complete anecdotal observation. 

It's expensive and much of the food is very processed.

The fat girl I'm a vegetarian thing is always good for a laff. No...it appears you're a sugar carboterian that doesn't eat meat.

Healthy balanced diet. Japanese, Mediterranean.

Then there's the freak factor of all the exceptional food around the globe they miss out on. It's like living in a two dimensional world. Especially Thailand. Many *vegetarians* in Thailand just use it as a public excuse not to eat Thai food.

You need to meet more people...

https://www.businessinsider.com/elite-athletes-who-are-vegan-and-what-made-them-switch-their-diet-2017-10

Edited by Bluespunk

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

So few it's novelty and they've written a story about them. How cute. This is just propaganda. When you have all sorts of money and custom meal programs and trainers I guess anything is possible. These people money is no object.

All those bodybuilding supplements are positively revolting. Protein shakes, whey, jars of egg whites... That's not a life, sorry. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

So few it's novelty and they've written a story about them. How cute. This is just propaganda. When you have all sorts of money and custom meal programs and trainers I guess anything is possible. These people money is no object.

All those bodybuilding supplements are positively revolting. Protein shakes, whey, jars of egg whites... That's not a life, sorry. 

Those in the article I gave you a link to are vegan...no whey, no eggs.

Veganism is not an expensive lifestyle.

You do not need a custom meal programme.

You just need to think about what you eat.

You may not want to be a vegan, no worries, you eat what you will, no skin off anyone's nose.

However, you clearly have no idea about what it means to be a vegan or how one can live a vegan lifestyle, so stop with your BS propaganda about it.

Edited by Bluespunk

Strict  long termcompliance  with  veganism has been well identified as detrimental to health  for  the  majority of  followers.

If veganism is inflicted on children it is worse in terms of physical and intellectual development

Doctors who are  Vegan and still possess professional rationale  will admit it is not necessarily healthy to be  vegan although will defend the principle of the mindset.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Strict  long termcompliance  with  veganism has been well identified as detrimental to health  for  the  majority of  followers.

If veganism is inflicted on children it is worse in terms of physical and intellectual development

Doctors who are  Vegan and still possess professional rationale  will admit it is not necessarily healthy to be  vegan although will defend the principle of the mindset.

Some of the numbskulls force it onto their pets, should be charged with animal cruelty .

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

"According to a recent report on the largest study of vegetarians and vegans to date, those eating plant-based diets appear to have a significantly longer life expectancy. Vegetarians live on average almost eight years longer than the general population,  "

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/plant-based-diet_b_1981838

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

"According to a recent report on the largest study of vegetarians and vegans to date, those eating plant-based diets appear to have a significantly longer life expectancy. Vegetarians live on average almost eight years longer than the general population,  "

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/plant-based-diet_b_1981838

A singular  report? The  majority of  studies  have  found little difference in longevity with respect of  vegetarian  versus omnivorous. There is an apparent significant difference when it comes to  Vegan long term functional and cognitive  capacity irrespective of  longevity.

Edited by Dumbastheycome
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dumbastheycome said:

A singular  report? The  majority of  studies  have  found little difference in longevity with respect of  vegetarian  versus omnivorous. There is an apparent significant difference when it comes to  Vegan long term functional and cognitive  capacity.

Not a singular report a simple google search should provide you with numerous reports from multiple, respected sources. Please provide me a single report from a respected source where Vegetarians have a lower life span. 

• Like 1