Chiang Mai Immigration Q & A - Info and reports. (2020)

JimmyJ

5 hours ago, JimGant said:

Nope. As of the Oct 2019 police order requiring the 800k to remain in the bank for 3 months after application (and to never go below 400k during the year), they want both a bank letter with the latest balance, and a bank letter summarizing the last 12 months of activity. Why? Because if you don't update your passbook at all during the year, the last update will normally be consolidated, thus if you went below the 800/400 constraints, but then came back up, that would only show up in a 12 month bank letter summary.

Anyway, my 'hand holding' agent (Best Friends) gave me a handout last year for my bank, Bangkok Bank, with instructions for obtaining the bank letters, like, ask for the 12 month letter 7 days in advance of when needed. No questions asked, as they're being paid, by me, to know the drill.

You'll see other reports on this forum where the 12 month letter was not required by some Imm offices. But CM does -- or at least some of the IOs ask for them. Thus, best go prepared.

That's not a bank letter summary but a bank statement which list every transaction.

And you may have to order that letter it in advance - Bangkok Bank told us it had to come from head office and it would be up to seven days for it to arrive (from memory it took five, the branch phoned us when it was there for us to go and pick it up).  I believe it is valid for seven days from the date it is generated, so at least it doesn't have to be same day like the other document you have to get from the bank.

From reports I've seen and heard, it does seem to depend on the individual IO whether it is strictly needed.  A friend had the letter/statement last year and purposely held it back from the IO to see if it really were needed and in his case, it was a case of him having to say 'I'm sorry, it's on top of this other pile of papers I have here'.  

9 hours ago, JimGant said:

Yeah, Immigration is like a box of chocolates. I guess if you applied in the 30 to 45 day window, having to go back for a 7 day wait for a bank letter wouldn't be too terrible. Otherwise, an added 7 days to the process might be inconvenient. Not a big deal to get that letter, at least it wasn't for me at Bangkok Bank.

Yes, I always go early.  In rethinking your post, I had forgotten about the 'not less than 400k' issue as I am used to staying above the 800k year round.  I can see where the bank statement would be necessary if that is questioned. So I agree, it is best to be prepared.  

• 3 weeks later...

Do the photocopies of your passport front page and immigration stamps have to be black and white -- or can they be in color? In the past my agent has always done the copying, and I think they were all black and white -- but I'm not too sure. Or, if they were, would Imm accept color copies? Thanx.

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Do the photocopies of your passport front page and immigration stamps have to be black and white -- or can they be in color? In the past my agent has always done the copying, and I think they were all black and white -- but I'm not too sure. Or, if they were, would Imm accept color copies? Thanx.

both are fine based on my experience so long as the copies are clear and don't fade.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

In the past my agent has always done the copying, and I think they were all black and white -- but I'm not too sure.

Yeh hard to notice when you sign 20+ pages of copies.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from another exciting Retirement Extension.  Two changes from last year were:   1)  for 800K, needed both a monthly statement and yet another to confirm current balance (200 for each at SCB - but - got same day) and, 2)  for the first time ever, a copy of current 90 day report!

We parked in the back and ducked into the tent where it appeared officials were checking paperwork prior to issuing queues but were chastised for not knowing we should have walked back out to the entrance and through the checkpoint in order to get a sa-ticker before entering the check-tent.  Who knew?

Even after having to navigate the initial maze, it went smoothly.  

One thing to keep in mind is that despite (or perhaps because) the open windows provide ventilation in lieu of aircon, dressing accordingly takes on new meaning.  

Stamp, stamp - 2022 never looked so good!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Went to immigration today to get my yearly retirement extension and got caught in the unpredictable web we all somehow experience even after being here for many years.

My documents were checked by the officer in the outside tent and was given a queue card for the information counter.  Documents were again checked by who appeared not an official immigration officer since he was wearing a golf shirt with the immigration emblem. He insisted a detailed bank statement was required since my 800K was in a savings account and a bank certified copy of my bank book was insufficient.  Tried to converse/explain with him the initial document checks by the first officer that the bank book copy was sufficient.  The "wannabe" gave me the printed requirement list for retirement extension and highlighted the sentence that a bank statement is needed.  Maintained my cool and left to get my statement.

Upon return to the information counter, another female "wannabe" who had been seated next to my first encounter, proceeded to checked my documents meticulously as if she was trying to find something wrong.  Finally was given another queue number for long stay window 7/8.  

Waited about five minutes and presented the documents again for another check.  Everything was in order and had my photo taken, but while waiting for my passport to be returned, five people who had come after me were able to get their passports back immediately.  I was about inquire <deleted> was going on, but then a student volunteer appeared with my passport.  Good bye until next year. 

Lesson learned:  a detailed bank statement covering the year since the last extension is required no matter what class of long stay extension.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ProbPossConf said:

Went to immigration today to get my yearly retirement extension and got caught in the unpredictable web we all somehow experience even after being here for many years.

My documents were checked by the officer in the outside tent and was given a queue card for the information counter.  Documents were again checked by who appeared not an official immigration officer since he was wearing a golf shirt with the immigration emblem. He insisted a detailed bank statement was required since my 800K was in a savings account and a bank certified copy of my bank book was insufficient.  Tried to converse/explain with him the initial document checks by the first officer that the bank book copy was sufficient.  The "wannabe" gave me the printed requirement list for retirement extension and highlighted the sentence that a bank statement is needed.  Maintained my cool and left to get my statement.

Upon return to the information counter, another female "wannabe" who had been seated next to my first encounter, proceeded to checked my documents meticulously as if she was trying to find something wrong.  Finally was given another queue number for long stay window 7/8.  

Waited about five minutes and presented the documents again for another check.  Everything was in order and had my photo taken, but while waiting for my passport to be returned, five people who had come after me were able to get their passports back immediately.  I was about inquire <deleted> was going on, but then a student volunteer appeared with my passport.  Good bye until next year. 

Lesson learned:  a detailed bank statement covering the year since the last extension is required no matter what class of long stay extension.

And remember at some banks (definitely Bangkok Bank) it takes at least a week for them to produce a one year statement (as it is not done at the branch). Six months is maximum that can be done at the individual branch.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, couchpotato said:

And remember at some banks (definitely Bangkok Bank) it takes at least a week for them to produce a one year statement (as it is not done at the branch). Six months is maximum that can be done at the individual branch.

My agent gets it the same day

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

I gave her my BKK bank account book (years ago), she takes a foto.

Calls her contact in BKK bank.

THAT is one - of many - reasons to use an agent. For the price of a bowl of noodles daily, and she does my 90 day reports.

Thats as may be but when you go BKK Bank you have to show your passport and they make a copy, and you have to sign a form with a signture that matches  the one in your bank book, how do tht agent get round that one 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jonesthepost said:

how do tht agent get round that one

If we knew that we would not need an agent would we

Go and try and ask one.

This is why I use an agent to do my legit extension and totally agree with canthai55.  Noodle money well spent, especially in these Covid times.  No queing required for my Immigration requirements.

Edited by fangless
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, fangless said:

If we knew that we would not need an agent would we

Go and try and ask one.

This is why I use an agent to do my legit extension and totally agree with canthai55.  Noodle money well spent, especially in these Covid times.  No queing required for my Immigration requirements.

I was just asking how agent can get a  1 year bank statement  on the same day. As for an agent I have no cause to use one went to bank got my one year statement no problem, on the day of my extension first to the bank for bank letter, then to immigration the whole thing from when parked across the an entered the immigration took 30 mins. And 5 thousand baht saved .

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jonesthepost said:

Thats as may be but when you go BKK Bank you have to show your passport and they make a copy, and you have to sign a form with a signture that matches  the one in your bank book, how do tht agent get round that one 

The post says the agent calls her contact at the bank.  

Do you have a contact at the bank that one would consider to be yours?  Like you have known them for a long time or were introduced by a powerful person?  Someone you give gifts to ?  Someone who will help if you call because there will be payback?

No.  So you can not do what the agent does.

How did you save 5,000 Baht,  visa agent fees are only 3,000?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

Do you have a contact at the bank that one would consider to be yours?  Like you have known them for a long time or were introduced by a powerful person?  Someone you give gifts to ?  Someone who will help if you call because there will be payback?

Depends which agent you use Best friend visa charge 3.000 others 5.000 plus and which agent is the most easy for you to use, as for the 1 year bank statement they have to be issued by BKK Bank in Bangkok but OK I only saved 3.000  

1 hour ago, cnxgary said:

Of the 12 times I have extended here in Chiang Mai I have never ever been asked to show a 1 yr. bank statement only the letter showing enough funds in a term deposit acct.

Well it started last year and I do know of person who had to show one before getting their extensions in fact some have posted this on this site so good luck to you 

My turn for retirement extension renewal and took care of it this afternoon. I did stop off last week to check latest requirements and pick up forms 1,2 and 3 from the tent to the left of main entrance.

Picked up the 2 x bank documents (I applied last week) at 11.00 and wandered into immigration at 1320. Documents checked in the tent and proceeded to the information counter and docs checked once more and given a number. 10 minute wait then called up and docs checked a third time and handed over 1,900baht. Called up for a photo then passport retuned at 14.10.

Nobody else turned up for retirement renewal in the time I was there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneZero said:

Does CM Immigration still allow a 45 day advance window to renew the Retirement extension of stay?

I have not heard of any changes to this policy.  I renew mine forty days in advance and am gearing up to do just that in two and a half months time, just like I have done in years past..

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 8:35 AM, Bill97 said:

is that 3,000 all-in?

3 hours ago, JimGant said:

What are these?

One was the application, second was acceptance of 90 day rule and third I don't actually recall. Simply signed and dated.

These forms were previously found in front of the main entrance but now are in the tent where there are boxes numbered accordingly.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OneZero said:

I didn't see an answer in the pinned topics, so my question is:

Does CM Immigration still allow a 45 day advance window to renew the Retirement extension of stay?

There is no reason to believe it is no longer still 45 days.  

• Like 1

Renewing marriage extension in the next few days - just checking on a few issues:

1) Is Immigration open tomorrow Friday August 13th?

2) I was told by an IO a few weeks ago that appointments weren't being issued.  Simply to turn up in the morning after getting bank details updated, processing was now quicker than last year and should only take a couple of hours at the most.  Is that realistic?

3) I have a new(ish) passport which only has two pages with stamps plus the notes and photo page.  Are they insisting on copies of blank pages?

4) I recall that the map has to be on one of their forms and not just a sheet of paper.  Is that still correct?

5) Last year we were told that a Kor Ror 2 was valid for two years.  Has anyone tested this out?  I don't want to be turned away for such a trivial item.