Chiang Mai Immigration Q & A - Info and reports. (2020)

JimmyJ

"Go to Bangkok Bank at Kad Suan Kaew branch, they have handled many retiree cases like yours. I am not sure whether they can accept your rental agreement without residence cert but you can try first."

If one is still on a Tourist Visa it could be a problem.  I opened my Bangkok Bank account at this location 6 years ago but I was on a Non OA. .  

It is worth a try  at the KSK branch and ask for Jakarin Sutjarritrak Tel 053-225465-7 Ext 1302. He works the new accounts desk, speaks excellent English and has always been very helpful.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, milldav said:

Thanks Eric, good to know about the 500b to speed things up. If I can get an account opened and the money deposited by next weekend I'll be ok.

I was using the Bangkok Bank branch in Airport Plaza, they were very helpful but insisted on the certificate of residence.

Anyway, go and apply for the residence cert tomorrow and see how it goes.

Do bring along your passport,  passport size photo, photocopies of your visa and passport pages,  white arrival card and rental agreement.

The branch at Kad Suan Kaew has the most number of foreign retirees in Chiang Mai so it's better to open your account at that branch just in case there's any problems in the future. 

Edited by EricTh

• 2 weeks later...

Once I'd obtained a certificate of residence from immigration I opened an account at the Bangkok Bank branch on Thapae Rd (it's more convenient for me to go there than KSK). No problem with me holding a tourist visa once I explained I would be applying for a retirement visa. The woman who dealt with me was aware of the process and the fact I'd be moving 800,000 bht into the account.

The Bangkok Bank branch in Airport Plaza had previously said I'd have no problem opening an account at that branch on a tourist visa once I had my certificate of residence.

• 4 weeks later...

I just renewed my retirement extension today , from the bank opening

at 9.30 to get letter , driving to immigration office ,near airport , out the

door by 10.50 , everyone helpful , no hassle ,they even did my 90 day report

for me without asking,  well done Chiang Mai immigration , I remember

the days at the old offices  ???? and going to Promenade at 5 in the morning

to get queue number,  

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

11 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I just renewed my retirement extension today , from the bank opening

at 9.30 to get letter , driving to immigration office ,near airport , out the

door by 10.50 , everyone helpful , no hassle ,they even did my 90 day report

for me without asking,  well done Chiang Mai immigration , I remember

the days at the old offices  ???? and going to Promenade at 5 in the morning

to get queue number,  

regards Worgeordie

Did they require bank statements as well?

2 hours ago, Raindancer said:

Did they require bank statements as well?

12 months bank statements , some banks can take up to 7 days

to get a statement , ie  Bangkok Bank , others you can get straight

away.

regards worgeordie

24 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

12 months bank statements , some banks can take up to 7 days

to get a statement , ie  Bangkok Bank , others you can get straight

away.

regards worgeordie

Many thanks.  I have all my bank statements for my appt today.   A neighbour of mine stated that he did not produce any bank statements for his extension on retirement.  Didnt argue, just left me puzzled.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a report on a Covid-19 extension at Chiang Mai Immigration.

USA passport

entered the country 22 December 2021 on CR30 visa exemption

current visa extension through 19 June 2022

Today I went to extend under the May 24 expiry knowing it had been extended.

Chiang Mai Immigration would extend but advised me they could only extend for 60 days from TODAY's DATE.

My prior extensions had been in Chiang Rai and they consistently added 60 days from the end of my existing visa.

I opted not to extend and get some advice here. Is this consistent with the CM Immigration office position or did I get a bad agent and should return for another attempt?

Just an oddity - today I got an email from Immigration telling me my 90 day report was due.  Mr K didn't get one and I did it online for both of us, I think I did his first.  The only difference is that he is the main visa holder and I am on spouse Non-O.

Anyway, nice to get a reminder BUT we've just come back from overseas and don't need it, so obviously the 90 day report section of immigration doesn't get up to date info on people going out/into the country. 

It really wouldn't be so hard to link the data, but hey - what do I know.

• Thanks 1

Used the new 90 Day Report system for the first time today: excellent and completely painless - submitted the form at 15:00 and got the approval at 17:00 with the part to keep in my passport as an attachment.

At last.....

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2022 at 12:28 PM, Konini said:

Just an oddity - today I got an email from Immigration telling me my 90 day report was due.  Mr K didn't get one and I did it online for both of us, I think I did his first.  The only difference is that he is the main visa holder and I am on spouse Non-O.

Anyway, nice to get a reminder BUT we've just come back from overseas and don't need it, so obviously the 90 day report section of immigration doesn't get up to date info on people going out/into the country. 

It really wouldn't be so hard to link the data, but hey - what do I know.

Funny. I encountered the same message. I was out of Thailand for a short time then came back in.

I thought 90 days is reset once you enter Thailand again? Can anybody confirm?

But I did update my TM30 white card at immigration.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2022 at 3:17 AM, GregTN said:

I did my extension of stay based on marriage today at Chiang Mai immigration and received great service.  Arrived at 8:45 and was out the door by 10:00.

How is the situation at Chiang Mai Immigration now that it's July and that Thailand has opened up?

Should I arrive at 5 am, 7 am, or 9 am?

10 hours ago, RamenRaven said:

How is the situation at Chiang Mai Immigration now that it's July and that Thailand has opened up?

Should I arrive at 5 am, 7 am, or 9 am?

Why not book an appt on line??

Absolutely no hassle.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the above. For Chiang Mai retirement renewal the 3 forms required are:

3.   TM7

26. STM2

27. Overstay.

The first 2 are the same as we use in Chiang Mai and the third form here has place for 2 signatures but the text is the same.

Ok, I know you sign the forms at the bottom in blue ink. But I forget -- do you also date them? And if so, will month and year suffice?

What about the the TM7 -- is it still one piece of paper, using both sides?

And the picture -- do they still want a blue background, or will white/off white suffice?

Thanx.

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Ok, I know you sign the forms at the bottom in blue ink. But I forget -- do you also date them? And if so, will month and year suffice?

What about the the TM7 -- is it still one piece of paper, using both sides?

And the picture -- do they still want a blue background, or will white/off white suffice?

Thanx.

1.  Date.  Sure, you fill in the date where indicated (use the day you apply).  Would guess the IM would fill in the precise date if you left it blank.

2. TM7.  Yes, one piece of paper (both sides).

3.  Photos.  I've actually used both.....white and light blue background.....without a problem here in CM.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CMBob said:

Date.  Sure, you fill in the date where indicated

Right. But was wondering if I put the date next to my signature at the bottom of the page, particularly on those pages whose info has no date block, like a copy of my visa.

No date at foot where you sign each page / Immigration page states blue background and photo to be 4x6cm.

One critical thing if you are applying based on funds deposited immigration wants a letter from your bank stating you have the required funds and this and your passbook needs to be updated on the day you apply.

The yearly statement is also required but doesn't have to be same day just recent. Bangkok Bank typically takes 5-7 days to prepare and its dated when you request not when you receive.

I'm heading that way today minus an agent so will advise if any new rules have appeared.

57 minutes ago, Mahseer said:

No date at foot where you sign each page / Immigration page states blue background and photo to be 4x6cm.

Thanks. Where can I find the "Immigration page" with this information? (A google search didn't work)

Looking forward to your "trip report." I'm scheduled for next week at 1:30. I assume, if I show up at 12:45, that when things open at 1:00, and there are openings, I'll be let in ahead of my scheduled time. Conversely, a huge crowd at 1:30, I'll have priority over the non scheduled. Just thinking out loud with the obvious -- but when it comes to Immigration, there is no obvious.... Thus, any comments on the scheduling routine welcomed.

OK, will Photoshop my picture's background to blue. Does Immigration like Navy or baby blue?:)

Yes, only date it where it is obvious a date is to be inserted.  Would note that they usually require you to neatly print your phone number below your signature on the TM7.

As for color of photo background....this won't help maybe.....the "blue" ones I have and which have been accepted in the past are of a medium blue color (not as dark or light as the colors you mention).  But CM Immigration didn't have a problem with the one with white background that I attached to my TM7 in December, 2021.

As for your scheduled appointment time at 1:30PM, I'd maybe get there shortly after 1; however, it's unlikely they'll call you before your scheduled time.

Finally, would note that there are two "penalty" forms* that they usually require with the TM7 for annual extensions and you can find those forms there (when I last went, they were in some open cabinet thing under the awning thing outside before and to the left of the main entry door).  If you haven't prepped those, give yourself another 5 minutes to do that.

[*I call them "penalty" forms but one is titled "Acknowledgment of Terms and Conditions for Permit of Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand" and the other is titled "The Acknowledgment of Penalties for a Visa Overstay"......you can find both forms, #26 and #27] here:   https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/downloads_en/

Edited by CMBob
To include URL
  • Thanks 1

Survived another annual immigration visit in fact all pretty painless and the kind people even updated my 90 day for me.

Just 2 differences from last year one mentioned above is a phone number required on the back of the TM7 below your signature. The second I might have been advised of last year but failed to recall and its to do with passport copies. They are only interested in copy of your ID page + any page that has a Thai stamp on nothing else.

Photo mine had royal blue background. Just one required.

Place was busy at 1430 with 80% of chairs taken but I sat out on the veranda in front of a bloody great fan and for me far more comfortable plus you can hear numbers being called from there. Out in 2 hrs 10 which is longer than previous visits but no big deal.

Finally check your stuff soon as returned. I was given 100baht change I didn't have coming and someones Krungsri bank book. Both returned.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mahseer said:

My visa was up Sep 01 so thats as far as my 90 day went so 15 days

Yeah, I renewed my 90 day on Aug 6 with the online system. But it was good only up to my extension expiration date of 12 Sept 2022, i.e., I only got 36 days, not 90 days. I've always gotten 90 days in the past, when that 90 days encompassed my 12 Sept extension expiration. But in the past few years I did it manually at Promenada. Maybe if I hadn't filled in the extension expiration date on the online application..... And I didn't need to, as it's not a red asterisk required block. Oh well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Extended my family visa today. A busy office, but very efficient - handed in paperwork and paid at the front desk. I had an appointment booked, so just had to wait (we got there early). 40 minutes later called to sign some papers, had photo taken, they had done a 90 report for me, and they handed over my passport. All done in one interaction, so we left 20 minutes before our appointment time. There was no walk-in queue after 13:30 from what I could see.

• Like 1

Back to the bad old days yesterday after two years of peace and quiet and fast service.    Went in to Counter 3 at 0945 for Final Stamp on my Marriage Extension; normally at most a ten minute job but the place was packed with people, no Aircon, just a Wall Fan, seats all full etc and dozens standing around like me.   Eventually got out at 11.55; not good at all and what will it be like when the Chinese return in any numbers ?

At 10.30 they were already calling out numbers that should return after 1pm as they could not cope with the volume.  Sadly it was more like a Cattle Station and the 'new' building is nowhere big enough to cope with the throughput.