U.S. rebuffs Britain's extradition request for diplomat's wife after fatal crash

rooster59

U.S. rebuffs Britain's extradition request for diplomat's wife after fatal crash

2020-01-10T220756Z_1_LYNXMPEG091MS_RTROPTP_3_NATO-SUMMIT-LONDON-PROTESTS.JPG

Harry Dunn's mother Charlotte Charles poses in front of a banner outside the Buckingham Palace as people demonstrate during U.S. President Donald Trump's visit for NATO summit, in London, Britain December 3, 2019. REUTERS/Dylan Martinez

WASHINGTON/LONDON (Reuters) - The United States on Friday rejected a formal request from Britain for the extradition of a U.S. diplomat's wife who left the country last year after a road collision that killed 19-year-old Briton Harry Dunn.

British prosecutors are seeking the extradition of Anne Sacoolas over the crash last August in which Dunn was killed while riding his motorbike.

"Following the Crown Prosecution Service's charging decision, the Home Office has sent an extradition request to the United States for Anne Sacoolas on charges of causing death by dangerous driving," a UK Home Office spokesman said in a statement on Friday.

"This is now a decision for the U.S. authorities."

A U.S. State Department spokesman said Washington would not grant the request.

"Under the circumstances of this case, we strongly believe that an extradition request would be highly inappropriate," the spokesman said in a statement.

"The United States has been clear that, at the time the accident occurred, and for the duration of her stay in the UK, the driver in this case had status that conferred diplomatic immunities," the statement said.

"The use of an extradition treaty to attempt to return the spouse of a former diplomat by force would establish an extraordinarily troubling precedent," it said.

Dunn's family has said Sacoolas was driving on the wrong side of the road at the time of the crash near an air force base in central England used by the U.S. military.

Sacoolas, 42, was given diplomatic immunity and left Britain shortly after the accident. Her lawyer has said that she would not return voluntarily to Britain to possibly face jail for "a terrible but unintentional accident."

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said Sacoolas was wrong to use diplomatic immunity to leave Britain and has urged U.S. President Donald Trump to reconsider the U.S. position.

Dunn's parents met Trump at the White House in October. Trump hoped to persuade them meet to Sacoolas, who was in the building at the same time, but they declined.

(Reporting by Alistair Smout in London and Eric Beech in Washington; additional reporting by David Brunnstrom; Editing by Bill Berkrot and Tom Brown)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-01-11
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:
4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The use of an extradition treaty to attempt to return the spouse of a former diplomat by force would establish an extraordinarily troubling precedent," it said.

Yeah, wouldn’t want diplomatic staff to be held responsible for killing people. 

It's unfortunate but, especially in the case of an accident, I doubt that diplomats of any country would want the reciprocal action that this could start if the US had agreed, including UK diplomats overseas.  We may not like it but that's the situation for diplomatic immunity worldwide that every country benefits from.

In the case of a deliberate killing, I.e. murder, the answer from the US may have been very different.

• Sad 2

I read that her husband is an intelligence officer who doesn't have diplomatic privileges, and neither did she, she was given the status after the accident and flown out by the us airforce, obviously to escape her fat <deleted> for justice. What a shower of wxxxxxkers the US admin are. Hopefully they put out a red notice via interpol so she can't travel outside US anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

It's unfortunate but, especially in the case of an accident, I doubt that diplomats of any country would want the reciprocal action that this could start if the US had agreed, including UK diplomats overseas.  We may not like it but that's the situation for diplomatic immunity worldwide that every country benefits from.

In the case of a deliberate killing, I.e. murder, the answer from the US may have been very different.

As far as I’m concerned, everyone should be responsible for their actions. Accidental or not, there have to be consequences if an individual’s actions lead to the death of another. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tbone999 said:

I read that her husband is an intelligence officer who doesn't have diplomatic privileges, and neither did she, she was given the status after the accident 

Did you read that on the internet by any chance?  Must be correct if you did.  

10 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

As far as I’m concerned, everyone should be responsible for their actions. Accidental or not, there have to be consequences if an individual’s actions lead to the death of another. 

I agree with you, but that's just not the case when diplomatic immunity is concerned, morality doesn't come into it, whether we like it or not.

And, I'm sure that your reaction, and your actions, would be exactly the same if you were a diplomat.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I agree with you, but that's just not the case when diplomatic immunity is concerned, morality doesn't come into it, whether we like it or not.

He was not a diplomat. He was an intelligence officer which gives priveleges under the geneva convention but a diplomat he was not. It is not clear if his wife has any such immunity under her husbands privilege.

But. She certainly does not have diplomatic immunity in the US, she can only claim that in UK. So she should be brought to court to argue she is entitled during extradition proceedings.

Edit: immunity is for the uk to give, not the US to say it is.

Edited by Sujo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

And, I'm sure that your reaction, and your actions, would be exactly the same if you were a diplomat.

It shouldn’t be up to me whether I face the consequences or not.

I understand and fully accept your point that diplomatic immunity is there for a reason, but believe that if evidence is presented that makes clear an offence, as serious as this one, has been committed, it should be waived. 

I’m also not naive enough to believe that will ever happen. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

When I was posted to the British Embassy in Washington DC in the 80s had my wife been involved in a similar incident she would of had to face the consequences of the American Justice System.

Rightly so!  Sacoolas would have done the same in The UK.  But, she scarpered like a rat up a drainpipe, with the help of the diplomatic cover-up brigade.

Edited by Moti24
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

It seems that she was given diplomatic immunity after she killed the motorcyclist. Just an excuse to get her out of the country. So much for the special relationship between the US and the UK. 

It's not about that. Trump is loyal only to Trump and by extension, those who support him. If this had been any other recent president, you can bet that she'd be in England awaiting trial.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1