Going out with affluent Thai family, being the eldest… who pays?

henrik2000

Hello,

soon i will meet a potential flirt from a dating app. After we quite hit it off on Skype (super-decently always, tremendous fun nonetheless), we agreed to spend a few days on-off together explicitely "as friends" without specific expectations in Bkk. I will take a hotel room in her area. Twosomes in a closed room will not happen, according to her – fine for me.

She is very keen to introduce me to some of her family and friends. She had little exposure to foreigners (she was honestly surprised i don't like durian…). She and her family are managers, architects, historians, writers, the works. I think no-one has less than 100k Baht/mo, some certainly much more. She is quite self-confident, but also traditional. Not at all pompous, rather underplaying her status. By all accounts and more, the family seems totally decent and conservative/liberal to various degrees. No freeloaders. I've seen many photos. So far she seemed also totally reliable, say in Skype appointments and promises to provide certain info etc.

Now i wonder about our outings. If with the lady alone, i certainly will pay our bills (my income in the West is just *a bit* higher than hers in TH). There will be at least one dinner with about 6 family members and me. It will not be fine dining, but decent casual on the riverside or so. I know they all like seafood. Who will pay that? I can afford to pay, if that's what should happen. Except for the grandfather generation, i just might be the oldest around the table (a lil older than my date and her siblings and their partners, i guess).

There will be another casual riverside dinner with another Thai-western couple who might be a tad older than date+me. What would the etiquette say about paying here?

Any other things i should take into account? I may enter her space if other family members are around. I speak basic Thai and and generally know how to behave Thai-friendly, i believe. My date speaks great English (including some whopping irony) and i guess her siblings are not very different.

Thanks for all thoughts!

58 minutes ago, swissie said:

You can pay them now or later.

Once the "affluent Thai-Family" realises that your income is only "slightly higher" than hers, the bride and the "family" may lose interest in you quickly.

Disclose your financial limitations to the bride and the family and see what happens.

I would wait till you have her hooked before you drop the above on her.

• Haha 2

Here's a quick heads up when it comes to associating with thai people in in particular the 'family, no matter who's the host or who has more money, all eyes will be turned to you, as this is your time to 'shine' and earn respect by galanty and nonchalant like pulling out this wade of cash or the credit card and pay for everything and everyone, the last thing would be to be perceived as Kiniau and a thightass, this is the tests in which Thai people judging non Thai and suiters to theirs daughters...

18 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Your experience may be different...they may insist on picking up the tab...or grow very silent and quite busy when the entire tab is presented to you to pay.

Either way...be a good sport...not a cheap Charlie.

"mug" is the word you should have used  :thumbsup:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Here's a quick heads up when it comes to associating with thai people in in particular the 'family, no matter who's the host or who has more money, all eyes will be turned to you, as this is your time to 'shine' and earn respect by galanty and nonchalant like pulling out this wade of cash or the credit card and pay for everything and everyone, the last thing would be to be perceived as Kiniau and a thightass, this is the tests in which Thai people judging non Thai and suiters to theirs daughters...

It's a sort of "guess who's coming to dinner" blind date with a potential flirt, he's not yet about to ask her, it does'nt have to turn out to an all inclusive buffet at his expenses to impress family and friends. 

4 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

If you go to a Farang restaurant I guarantee they will order the most expensive stakes on the menu then when you get the bin well thats another story.

And if dont cough up the dough they will drive those stakes through his heart !!

• Haha 2