Thousands join Thai anti-government run, while rival camp pushes back

webfact

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, the Queen doesn't appear to mind, but 'hate speech' against women or non-whites will get you arrested (eg. Tommy Robinson) fairly quickly, or if you're a foreigner, banned from entering or transiting the country life (eg. Roosh V).

Hell you guys kept Michael Savage out. Not that he is worth listening to mind you, but its the principle.

Just now, Nyezhov said:

Its like in Starship Troopers: To fight the bug, you must understand the bug.

You have a Thai missus? Do you understand her? Not just what she says, but her weltanshauung? Be honest dude, every person I have ever met who has a long term Thai gf or wife sometimes looks at her and just says...wow, dude, you got wierd stuff in your brain. 

Even when you speak the language, you dont think like they do. Culturally and politically to us, they are on a different planet. 

I've been with my missus for nearly 13 years. I know what she's like as she does me. Please don't ask condescending questions like, "Do you understand her?". 

Oh, and she's a human being before all else. I got into a relationship with her based off the content of her character. I don't put her on a culture pedestal.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Oh, and she's a human being before all else

Dude, with all due respect to your lovely missus, she is a Thai human being. She was born into a unique to the world country where spirits rule and where political traditions and religious myths are fused. Im an American. My view of life is towards the West and with the liberal tradition embodied in American democracy. You are obviously a westerner. Thats where your view of life comes from.  When you join a community alien to yours, over the years you may learn it, but you will never truly understand it, because we are all the product of our earliest memories and thought and the ones in your wifes head were far far different that yours.

Dont get insulted dude. I was married to a japanese gal for many years and every day she said or did something that made me say..wow.  And thats not bad, its actually cool, but its still...like wow dude, you just *insert wierd statement or action here*. 

Vive le difference.

23 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

You should have come to visit Angkor when the Chinese did not yet know where it is ...
You will feel good alone in this yellow crowd ..

december 2005 - Nikon E4500

123737885_DSCN2434_Angkor_Wat(Copy).thumb.JPG.f6960f1693227674951759a41baa356b.JPG

Nice photo.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sturdyd said:

Well while you are connecting dots, Ill continue to seek out informed opinion and facts......

Um... I don't think so...

Yeah you are right, not going to find it here. Dang.

46 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:
1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Cool. Tell me how the Thai constituional courts view that? What about conflict with other law, custom, legislation? Can the Thai government control ANY speech under that clause? What are the limits? What is that limit based on? Can I burn a Thai flag? Can I wear Nazi symbols? Can I burn an American flag? Can the news papers print anyhting? What about defamation laws, how do they fit it?

Can you wear your underwear on your head and walk around in a public place. You can claimed freedom of expression and the Courts rules and principles will determine. There are enough provisions in the constitution that were plotted by the junta government to express and interpret by the courts. Which way they will based their court decision, follow the dots. 

You live a good life and I am sure you deserved all the luxuries from years of hard work but why tell me. I am just a humble business man and shop at Big C. And I am happy. 

47 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Great isnt it? Villa has the best tomahawks. Yu want a real good hunk of beef though, go to the Japanese market at IconSiam and grab like a Wagyu Prime Rib. They were on sale last week for like 7500 a kilo or something like that, it didnt matter, so I grabbed 2 kilos to stuff my face. Yum. Id ride over there today but the driver took the day off. So Ill just sit here and be educated by you about Freedom of Speech in Thailand while I wait for the maid to come.

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Can you wear your underwear on your head and walk around in a public place

Yeah I can. It makes me far more visually acceptable. I do need to ensure I dont look indecent, but I can use a band aid as a cover up.

3 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

You can claimed freedom of expression and the Courts rules and principles will determine. There are enough provisions in the constitution that were plotted by the junta government to express and interpret by the courts. Which way they will based their court decision, follow the dots. 

If I understood that, I could comment.

4 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

You live a good life and I am sure you deserved all the luxuries from years of hard work but why tell me. I am just a humble business man and shop at Big C. And I am happy. 

Why? You brought it up. Im glad you are happy, your original comment made me feel otherwise.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

She's half-Thai and did her degree and masters in the UK

Well then she isnt "Thai".

You just said members can't truly understand the political situation here cos they don't speak Thai or can never really understand how Thais think.

Thats a correct view of my thesis.

And here you are telling me about how my missus thinks.

No, you said she was Thai. Assuming she was born and bred Thai, Im not telling you how a Thai thinks, Im telling you how a Thai doesnt think. A Thai doesnt think like a westerner. 

Stop pigeonholing people based off their nationalities. People can be different and nuanced regardless of where they come from. 

Why am I pigeonholing? You dont think that there are cultural differences between people that provide the basis for a variety of world views? Thats silly. Even to a "lunatic" like me.

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

She added that since Prayut was elected democratically, they were the real supporters of democracy. “Now Thailand is a peaceful country,” Haruthai said

she really has the guts to say something like that, she really has no idea what democracy is or what elected democratically means....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Well then she isnt "Thai".

Thats a correct view of my thesis.

No, you said she was Thai. Assuming she was born and bred Thai, Im not telling you how she thinks, Im telling you how she doesnt think. She doesnt think like a westerner. 

Why am I pigeonholing? You dont think that there are cultural differences between people that provide the basis for a variety of world views? Thats silly. Even to a "lunatic" like me.

"She isn't Thai"?

Dear Lord above us. That's enough of your bigoted views. We're done. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Some incredibly deluded quotes from the attendees to Prayut's little gathering. Some of the 'real' photos of that event I saw online yesterday showed vastly different numbers to what has been quoted. 

don't tell us you expectedP and the gang to show the reality or tell the truth

please help me understand how this will work out.... previous government ousted by the military, current government is a military type one, who will be ousting them out, not the military I assume, thus the other option is the Thai people? hummmm has to be seen, they didn't do it on the previous ""democratically"" run elections....

3 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Yesterday, the international media reported huge crowds at Thanathorn' rally....whilst much smaller groups had gathered for Prayuth....the Thai media has obviously been instructed how to report

if you were the Thai media, you would have done the same or you would be shut down the next day

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Yeah I can. It makes me far more visually acceptable. I do need to ensure I dont look indecent, but I can use a band aid as a cover up.

If I understood that, I could comment.

Why? You brought it up. Im glad you are happy, your original comment made me feel otherwise.

Honestly I don’t think you have any substantial to contribute engaging in dross comments. You got too much spare time or it’s the hormones in the Wagyu beef messing your left brain. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Honestly I don’t think you have any substantial to contribute engaging in dross comments. You got too much spare time or it’s the hormones in the Wagyu beef messing your left brain. 

I respond to what I am given, but never resort to ad hominems, nah?

No one here save one or two, has yet to convince me that whatever comment they make about Thai politics is based on knowledge. Thus the need for drossness. Why do you respond.

10 hours ago, Chazar said:
11 hours ago, webfact said:

"We support the prime minister because he shows loyalty to the monarchy, our king,"

The  ultimate BS

Vs: "We support the spiked-hair upstart because he *doesn't show loyalty* to ..............."

Where does Thaksin and his supporters stand in all this ? I mean, of course, they are very much anti-Prayut but are they pro-Thanatorn and actually would want him as the PM ? What are the ties (if any) between Thaksin and Thanatorn ?

I am sceptical about rich businessmen entering politics. What if Thanatorn becomes another Thaksin if he becomes the PM ?!

Having said that, I cannot say I am a big fan of Prayut.

Edited by JemJem