Minister raises alarm over increasing ‘fake news’ and hacking

webfact

Minister raises alarm over increasing ‘fake news’ and hacking

By The Nation

800_99800169abb4d52.jpg?v=1578977714

Puttipong Punnakanta

The Minister of Digital Economy, Puttipong Punnakanta, held a meeting with the National Cyber Security Committee (NCSC) about the increasing fake news and cyberattacks both within the country and from neighbouring countries. 

He said hackers used SIM cards registered in neighbouring countries to try to access government and financial institutes’ data servers every day, including tracking activities via Line application. He warned people against sharing personal data, ID or password.

In addition, the ministry will seek cooperation from telephone service providers to tighten up the process of name registration for SIM cards. 

The ministry found that some people involved in the unrest in the deep South owned more than 100 SIM cards. If the service provider lets this happen, It will be difficult to control, the minister said. 

Meanwhile, more than thousands of usable registered SIM cards from neighbouring countries are brought into Thailand, which still cannot be verified. The ministry has coordinated and discussed with the foreign service provider to understand the situation in Thailand.

When asked what was the most hacked data, Puttipong said it was mostly banking data, such as customer information systems. Many private companies hack to access the information and use it for their businesses, such as user names and addresses, for their own benefit. The ministry already has set up a team to take care of the matter.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380532

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-14

32 minutes ago, webfact said:

Many private companies hack to access the information and use it for their businesses, such as user names and addresses, for their own benefit.

Huh???

1. You mean to say Thais would really do such an illegal thing...surely not....

2. AFAIK, most private companies here are lucky if they have staff who know how to turn on and use a computer -- much less hack into other people's data....

...Except of course when Immigration periodically leaves their databases unprotected (or minimally protected) out on the internet for anyone and everyone to access them....

The multiple phone SIMs and foreign SIMs part I do believe. But the rest....more FAKE news???

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, webfact said:

The ministry has coordinated and discussed with the foreign service provider to understand the situation in Thailand.

In other words they tried (and probably failed) to impose the stringent identity checks needed to obtain a SIM card on other countries.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

both within the country and from neighbouring countries. 

Within I can understand, but what country in the world needs any information about Thailand? That must be a typo.

23 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

"So 'admin 12345' not good any more?"

Nevermind, I use the standard router password from True. ???????????? Works perfect for me, and my neighbours I suppose.

• Haha 1