Thursday’s smog outlook for Bangkok worst so far

webfact

Thursday’s smog outlook for Bangkok worst so far 

By The Nation

800_de2e845f3b929ed.jpg?v=1579075328

Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang has relayed a warning from the Pollution Control Department that the level of harmful PM2.5 dust particles in the city’s air will hit a seasonal peak during evening rush hour on Thursday (January 16).

The department, blaming weather conditions that will not disperse the pollution, advised residents and visitors to stay indoors as much as possible, wear face masks while outside and shun vehicles that belch exhaust fumes.

Aswin said mobile medical teams will be available to respond to respiratory emergencies and city crews will spray water into the air to reduce the haze.

Operators of vehicles emitting dense fumes will be fined, he said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380598

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-15
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, johng said:

Yet again  no mention of the real culprit...its the idiots burning forest,fields and rubbish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The usurpers are scared of only one thing: a caravan of kubotas heading south from Isaan. That's why the farmers are untouchable and allowed to murder people by smoking them dead.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Haha 1

Bangkok has been told to brace for worsening pollution on Thursday

air-pollution.png

Residents of the capital have been warned to brace for even more pollutants in the air on Thursday, due to stagnant air which doesn’t disperse the fine dust particles.

The warning was issued by Bangkok governor Aswin Kwanmuang today, citing reports from the Pollution Control Department that the amount of fine dust in the atmosphere over Bangkok will increase substantially, especially during evening rush hour, partly due to a lack of movement of air in the current weather conditions, which are likely to continue for the rest of this month.

The governor advised people to avoid outdoor activities for the rest of the month, to keep themselves in good health and to always carry a face mask handy.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkok-has-been-told-to-brace-for-worsening-pollution-on-thursday/

thaipbs.jpg

12 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

The multitude of pick ups and buses spewing thick black smoke due to lack of maintenance might have a bit to do with it, too.

I notice from watching my little map that the NO2 numbers are through the roof. And the higher they go the higher the pm25.

It's cars and trucks. Don't they do emissions I spections here?

• Haha 1

And this is with a weak economy. What would a booming economy bring? At least the pollution is affecting some of the people who helped create it the most, but the worst offenders live in air-con 24/7 in the city so they don't suffer as much, and they have so much capital that they can vacation to far away lands where the air, water, land and sea still have relatively untouched natural beauty. When the rich and powerful suffer from pollution like the poorest people in the cities and rural areas, things will start to change in the world; until then, pollution and environmental destruction will go on so long as the downpour of cash keeps showering the wealthy influential people.

• Like 1

One of the major problems in Thailand appears to be little or no forward planning - Instead the norm is wait until it happens then see what can be done without it costing too much...!!! The government have known and acknowledged that there are too many black smoke belching commercial vehicles on the roads many of which should not even be close to a public road never mind on them.

Unfortunately the problem does not end there, the police are too soft with their approach to road safety and the judicial system does not hand out penalties that form any sort of deterrent which results in the Thai people not being too concerned about breaking the law as everyone can plainly see and regularly comment on.

Planning appears to be the main problem together with constructive action, it will be interesting to see what action is taken with regard to the impending water shortage and what steps are taken to protect the population instead of how much money can be made from tourists......!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

The department, blaming weather conditions that will not disperse the pollution, advised residents and visitors to stay indoors as much as possible, wear face masks while outside and shun vehicles that belch exhaust fumes.

How about the crop burning, the factories that pay bribes to be allowed to avoid emission standards, the police who dont do their job in stopping cars with emissions?  Nah too hard.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I notice from watching my little map that the NO2 numbers are through the roof. And the higher they go the higher the pm25.

It's cars and trucks. Don't they do emissions I spections here?

Yes; about 20 vehicles every year when they have a 'Crackdown' !

50 minutes ago, Sri Shina said:

I  have  a  question.  What  source  powers  Bangkok?

A  friend  told  me  it  is  coal.

Thanks  for  any  information.

Across Thailand 60% of power generation is from natural gas/some oil, 20% from coal and the remainder a variety of other sources including hydro, bio mass, etc

Mae Mo in Lampang  province Northern Thailand was the biggest coal fired plant back when I used to follow this.  There may be some newer coal fired coming on stream in the south, like Krabi now.

When  we  were  travelling  east  from  Suvarnabhumi  my  friend  pointed  out  a  bunch  of  black  smoke  belching  plants  which  he  identified  as  coal  burning  plants.

I  have  learned  that  he  is  often  mistaken  so  thought  I  would  ask  the  the  informed  members  on  TV.

"Aswin said mobile medical teams will be available to respond to respiratory emergencies and city crews will spray water into the air to reduce the haze."

Seriously? In other news, we're having a drought crisis and Bangkok's residents have been urged not to waste water.

Spraying water into the air will have little to no effect to ease pollution, but will be a colossal waste of water.

Edited by Caldera
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, sungod said:

No expert,I'm not convinced vehicles play a big part of this, (although they should be subject to emissions tests)

Reason being I frequent Sam Roi Yot alot, national park on the coast about 45 mins south of Hua Hin. Some days the air quality is worse than Bangkok, and there is only a handful of cars on the road.

Crop burning is my stab at the issue.

I was thinking the same thing.  I was even considering relocating from Bangkok to HuaHin but as I have been seeing that the air doesn’t seem to be much better there, I should probably  reconsider.

54 minutes ago, sungod said:

No expert,I'm not convinced vehicles play a big part of this, (although they should be subject to emissions tests)

Reason being I frequent Sam Roi Yot alot, national park on the coast about 45 mins south of Hua Hin. Some days the air quality is worse than Bangkok, and there is only a handful of cars on the road.

Crop burning is my stab at the issue.

From my observations over quite a few years I agree that vehicles play a large part, I live about 12 miles outside the city of UT, the readings I get at the house are always much less than in the city itself. During the times there is no burning, the readings in the city can be quite high whereas we are low.

A lot of the PM2.5 readings are taken from areas that do have a lot of traffic, indeed that is why they were put there, need to bear this in mind when looking at the readings.

As an example today i have a reading of 52 (PM2.5) whereas downtown has 174, to my mind the difference has to be the traffic.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The Blame,... the blame,... yeah, that says it all about the irresponsible administration:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

20 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

The multitude of pick ups and buses spewing thick black smoke due to lack of maintenance might have a bit to do with it, too.

Yes, and getting away with it. Maybe a 24 hour crackdown coming soon.????

• Haha 1