“Don’t complain about our English, If you can’t speak Thai” - sign at restaurant goes viral - again

webfact

20 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Question Yinn: Can you look at a Foreigner and get a feeling they can speak Thai by the way they act and carry themselves?

Hmmmmm 

Interesting thinking. I agree can, sometimes. Look confident/smile/ thai polite way. Not look same “lost”.

Sometimes, I not sure why, but sometimes it really like that. 55555

20 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I get the feeling most Thai can.

But not think “most” Thai.

Most Thai never meet/speak with foreigner. Most Thai expect foreigner can not speak thai. 

But the one who do speak with foreigner often,  some/most can “feel” it.

You correct. Hard to explain it. Just the feeling/way. 55555 

intersting thinking. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Did they say that??? NO.

They tell people to stop COMPLAINING about their english skills, not that they refuse to speak english.

And it's quite clear which group of people are those that complain about other peoples english skills - the one who speaks only 1 language.

Methinks you should revisit my post...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

The main problem is with customers who want to add/take something off an existing item on the menu i.e. fussy eaters or with allergies etc.

Most people even if they can't speak Thai can point at the item they want, it's not rocket science!

I've seen most problems when a non Thai speaker is trying to alter a meal in English. You can literally see the server's head spinning

Start asking for sunny side up eggs or crispy bacon & well done toast in English and you are bound to <deleted> up the whole order

Exactly!!!!!!!

Well if they are referring to tourists it is a stupid sign because you can't expect people to learn Thai for a 2 weeks vacation. If they are talking to non immigrant residents they are right. First thing I did when I moved here was studying the language.

Edited by Lacrimas

1 hour ago, Coremouse said:

Still think most Thai people are very nice but encountering more and more xenophobics, rude behaviors everyday. 

It may be inappropriate to question a country farmer's english skill, but for Service Industry earning income from farangs, this sign is just a silly excuse. And a country as a whole putting up a language barrier won't do any good to its economy. As you see I'm also not a native english speaker, yet the appalling english-inability of Thailand also gave me tons headache. 

It's just like going to a Chinese restaurant and the sign says

"Don't complain about our English if you can't speak Chinese"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

IMO eglish speaker never learn second language is most impolite. (USA, Aussie, NZ, England). And speak to quickly.

Sawadee Krup Yinn

Just to clarify, I am Aussie, born from Greek parents, I have been travelling to Thailand since 2005, moved here in 2015, never learned Thai, nit noi, nung, song, sum, see, ha ha ha, now, yen, catoh, tiruk, etc, etc.

I don't have the patience to learn another language, even though I live here, you know the older you get your brain slows, that said, it doesn't take much for a person to be polite when visiting another country, smile, sawadee, sabi dee, point at a bottle of water, run your finger down the list of a menu, pet pet, muk, muk, cop kun krup, I have always found Thai's to be willing to assist.

I have never had a problem, sign language/gestures with Thai's works most times, but at the bank the other day I asked the teller if she could photocopy the page on the bank book, I pointed to the page and with 1 finger, copy please, she came back with a copy of my name page, I said sorry, no, politely and asked again, she stood back and a colleague of hers came over and I point to the page and showed him 1 finger, copy please, no I didn't show him my middle one, and he did the copy for me, I said cop coon krup and to the girl who looked a little upset at me, but "up to her" as the Thai's say, I was polite and we can all try, it doesn't take much to live together, but as for farangs who get upset, well, that's just the bottom quality of impatient and uneducated tourists, and Budda help the Thai's if they intend on moving here, mai pen rai ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

Yes, English IS taught at all Thai schools, but unfortunately it is taught extremely badly by Thai teachers whose knowledge of English is minimal at best.  

So if they been to university and have a degree in english and they can speak fluent english did they buy the degree how can u be a english and u cant speak english how did they get a degree in english plus over the years how many tourist be visiting this country and thai still  cant speak english so it show u how lazy the tourist can only speak 1 language they are only here for say 2 weeks holiday 

15 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

Yes, English IS taught at all Thai schools, but unfortunately it is taught extremely badly by Thai teachers whose knowledge of English is minimal at best.  

Agreed. In my opinion there are a lot of folks commenting right now that need to look down and see what their knees are doing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Start asking for sunny side up eggs or crispy bacon & well done toast in English and you are bound to <deleted> up the whole order

Better stick with khaophadkai. Them farang foods are difficult.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Woolsgibb60 said:

So if they been to university and have a degree in english and they can speak fluent english did they buy the degree how can u be a english and u cant speak english how did they get a degree in english plus over the years how many tourist be visiting this country and thai still  cant speak english so it show u how lazy the tourist can only speak 1 language they are only here for say 2 weeks holiday 

Yes, if only their English was as well presented, punctuated, and capitalised as yours, there wouldn't be a problem at all.

Seriously, it's word soup but the meaning comes across. Problem starts when the meaning has to go the other way and a lack of patience and thinking to oneself 'why didn't they understand what I said' and adapting to the situation goes tits up.

Edited by Traubert
  • Haha 1

There is nothing to be ashamed of a language ability of people (based on their interests and environment) as long as their interest and profit extending are isn’t requiring is so, in other words as long as your business isn’t involved with foreign benefits, if you expect foreigners leave their money for you then you will have  to deal with it differently if you can’t admit that then it’s shame on you, if Thais don’t know and don’t understand anything which involves into their business like how to handle, how to understand, how to speak to foreigners,  but all of them do understand how to charge double or multiple price to them. 

A post using multiple quotes has been removed, please do not do this as it causes problems further on:

5. Please do not quote multiple nested quotes. Quote only the relevant section that you are discussing. Moderators will snip excessively long nested quotes. 

• Like 1