Video: Wait for it! Thais try to push pick-up off the rails at level crossing as train approaches.....

webfact

I got no sound on my Video ? I wonder if I have my computer set up incorrectly ? Like it would be good to have, to see about how hard the loco was breaking ??? And which breaks he was using ? ...

No obvious black smoke out of the stack I think, ... so he probably was backed off. ... (Please excuse me Real train drivers) but these things have 2 sets of braking method I think, the first, and the one that they always use, is the train breaks, which is applied and controlled, to every carriages wheels, like you can hear it, ...  and it slows the train down, softly and moderately, as it slows the whole train down, regularly, from each carriage all at the same time.

I think that they usually only ever use this one, under normal situations, probably like the drive THOUGHT that he was going in to in this situation. ...

The other system is much harsher, the Engine Breaks, like you put on every break, on all of the wheels on the heavier locomotive, ... and this system WILL Really pull up the Train fast I think ? ... But often with radical consequences, like the stretch coming out in all of the couplings, so that the cars all start running together, and then by the time this chain reaction gets to the back of the train, this can be VERY Serious .... Like people falling over all down all over the place, … luggage coming adrift, … and it could even result in serious injury. ....

The driver probably did not get around to using this one. ... Like they usually only use this break like a parking break, .... After the train has been stopped by the more mild Train Breaks. ... Or possibly in an Emergency, if they have time to take the slack out of the couplings, with the train breaks, in the first place. ...

… And possibly not at all in a situation like this as, as I say people can be thrown down and possibly even seriously injured, … so the Drivers would get a rocket sent up them by the management, for doing it !!! … and possibly even from the injured peoples families !

... You know in a Heavy freight train, if you just put the hammer down, without taking the slack of the couplings, sometimes the shock wave, coming back down the train from the back, getting stronger at every new car as it moves forward, …. This can just totally Blow open and destroy one of the couplings up near the engine !!! ... Like you do see this in the iron ore Trans in Australia, and I know as I have worked there. … So they have to take the broken cars out of the train, and shunt them in to a siding, until they get repaired.

Like these things are not just dinky toys, that can be started, and stopped just on a dime, like the other kind fellows has said. … The modern locos have about 7,000 HP I think … Like your car probably is lucky if it has 100 ! … 7,000 HP is as much as 100m 4,000 ton long ships have !!! … and some trains now have 3 or 4 locos pulling them, and are miles long now, as this other fellow here says.  … So “Oh oh, ... some idiot stuck on the crossing ! …. just put the brakes on" … It is a Lot harder than that !!!

... Possibly the policy IS even, ... never slam the engine breaks on, as "10 passengers injured and 2 dead", is a LOT worse out come, than totaling some poor bastards old pickup, stuck on the crossing ! ??? ... And bending the cow catcher, and taking out all of the lights on the front of the Loco, .... BUT I do not know if this is true or not, ... but I DO know that there probably is a LOT of logic in it.

Edited by Mark mark
Slight changes
  • Sad 1

The train is slowing down, and it is slowing down FAST ! ... You can see it by looking at how the speed the carriages are passing, slows down near it's end. ... The driver probably DID have the engine breaks on also i think. ... CCTV so no sound I guess. ... and I think that quite obviously, they ALL have to stop after any incidents like this. ... no matter how far up he tracks they have gone. ... Also looks like a LOT of air, and burning off break linings, coming out from under the loco and Cars = Yes, ... a LOT of Breaking. ... 

Edited by Mark mark

And these things DO come off the tracks also you know in some level crossing accidents ! ... Like if they hit a large fully loaded truck I would guess ! ... Like I would not like to be a train driver, with 1,000 people on my train, ... and be using the wrong breaking, when hitting a large truck, and get derailed, and then gong trough a slum, or some shops or a market, ... just to increase the casualty toll !!! .... God Bless those GOOD Working men's souls. ... And give them all ... Luck. 

2 hours ago, orchidfan said:

Great awareness reaction by the train driver to a car/pickup straddled across the tracks in front of him. Full speed straight through.

Nope. He was already in emergency braking by the time he hit the truck. The driver would have seen the truck and hit the brakes. Several hundred tons including the locomotive.He would have been doing track speed prior to the incident, so it's hardly the train driver's fault.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, HaleySabai said:

At the end of the video the tow truck and looks to be an ambulance show up.....funny as hell, glad know on was hurt.....although no mention of the engineer and locomotive crew.

I did ! ... But you are right in general, ... they usually only get mentioned if no others are involved ? ...  ??? ... And I think in this case, they would not have gone home, saying that they had a good day. ... There are a few Thai swear words, one starting with H, and ending in a ...  that have just crossed my Mind just now !!! Har Har ... 

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

Good point, except that I am sure they did not want to smash in the fronts of their trucks pushing some Somchai's pickup off the crossing

Difficult starting at 0 km/h. It's a TRUCK. More likely the drivers on yaba and didn't want to be involved.

I guess the truck owner has no 1st class insurance, so he has to pay his damage by his own. Shame on all the cars they passed and don´t ask if they can help. I guess the som tum is waiting so they are in a hurry. And after dinner they will go to the temple and tell Buddha that they are good guys and he please bring them luck in the lottery.

13 hours ago, Mark mark said:

I got no sound on my Video ? I wonder if I have my computer set up incorrectly ? Like it would be good to have, to see about how hard the loco was breaking ??? And which breaks he was using ? ...

No obvious black smoke out of the stack I think, ... so he probably was backed off. ... (Please excuse me Real train drivers) but these things have 2 sets of braking method I think, the first, and the one that they always use, is the train breaks, which is applied and controlled, to every carriages wheels, like you can hear it, ...  and it slows the train down, softly and moderately, as it slows the whole train down, regularly, from each carriage all at the same time.

I think that they usually only ever use this one, under normal situations, probably like the drive THOUGHT that he was going in to in this situation. ...

The other system is much harsher, the Engine Breaks, like you put on every break, on all of the wheels on the heavier locomotive, ... and this system WILL Really pull up the Train fast I think ? ... But often with radical consequences, like the stretch coming out in all of the couplings, so that the cars all start running together, and then by the time this chain reaction gets to the back of the train, this can be VERY Serious .... Like people falling over all down all over the place, … luggage coming adrift, … and it could even result in serious injury. ....

The driver probably did not get around to using this one. ... Like they usually only use this break like a parking break, .... After the train has been stopped by the more mild Train Breaks. ... Or possibly in an Emergency, if they have time to take the slack out of the couplings, with the train breaks, in the first place. ...

… And possibly not at all in a situation like this as, as I say people can be thrown down and possibly even seriously injured, … so the Drivers would get a rocket sent up them by the management, for doing it !!! … and possibly even from the injured peoples families !

... You know in a Heavy freight train, if you just put the hammer down, without taking the slack of the couplings, sometimes the shock wave, coming back down the train from the back, getting stronger at every new car as it moves forward, …. This can just totally Blow open and destroy one of the couplings up near the engine !!! ... Like you do see this in the iron ore Trans in Australia, and I know as I have worked there. … So they have to take the broken cars out of the train, and shunt them in to a siding, until they get repaired.

Like these things are not just dinky toys, that can be started, and stopped just on a dime, like the other kind fellows has said. … The modern locos have about 7,000 HP I think … Like your car probably is lucky if it has 100 ! … 7,000 HP is as much as 100m 4,000 ton long ships have !!! … and some trains now have 3 or 4 locos pulling them, and are miles long now, as this other fellow here says.  … So “Oh oh, ... some idiot stuck on the crossing ! …. just put the brakes on" … It is a Lot harder than that !!!

... Possibly the policy IS even, ... never slam the engine breaks on, as "10 passengers injured and 2 dead", is a LOT worse out come, than totaling some poor bastards old pickup, stuck on the crossing ! ??? ... And bending the cow catcher, and taking out all of the lights on the front of the Loco, .... BUT I do not know if this is true or not, ... but I DO know that there probably is a LOT of logic in it.

i'll have a pint of what ever you've been drinking...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jastheace said:

i'll have a pint of what ever you've been drinking...

Yearrr, I am just an old Train Buff also, like my Little boy here, ... if it has wheels it is good ! ... and 12 wheels with 7,000 HP is even better ! .... 

This is all true though, ... there are 2 leavers in the Cab of a Loco like this (I think, not actually being a real train driver) .... Both controlling compressed Air ... or a Vacuum systems, that control the break shoes on all the wheels of the train. .... One for the Train breaks on the Individual carriages the slow and soft system that they usually always use, ... and the other, for the 12 wheels on the heavy engine, ... like this one will really pull the train up fast if you use it ! ... But as I say could cause death or Injury for the people on the train, as they get thrown forward by the sudden stop and the carriages running forward and crunching together, as the heavy engine, literally locks up. .... I think that they only use this break in emergencies, ... on the flat any way .... (And well it wears the Break pads out a lot faster also ! so costs the train company more money also) 

And in this case, and I think that, real train driver here, has backed me up, that the Driver did have the engine break on also, by the time he hit the pickup. ... Like he would have put the train breaks on, as he always would, .... but I think they would have stretchered the train out, .... so when he realized that there was possibly a problem ahead, ... he would have then had to softly bunched the carriages up, by putting the engine break on slowly, ... (So as not to seriously injure his passengers) ... and then when he released it was a Real emergency, he would have pulled it on up to full. ! .... You can see the compresses air, and dust from the breaks being full on, coming out from under the Engine, and the whole train. ... Full Emergency breaking, as the real train driver on here says in his brief blog also. ... (And a LOT more of all of the trains break pads burnt off also !!!) ... 

Edited by Mark mark
Changes

The one thing I didn't see anybody try was to reverse backwards. seeing that its forward movement was what caused the rear wheel to drop into gaps at the edge and jam his lower suspension on the tracks. and is there a phone to contact the signal box?What hurts more is that cctv was watching, but, nobody was watching the transmission and radioing the train driver or changing the signals.