Govt wants switch to gasohol E20 by mid-year

rooster59

Govt wants switch to gasohol E20 by mid-year

By The Nation

800_6caf1e553c217f4.jpg

Sonthirat Sonthijirawong, Minister of Energy

The Energy Ministry is pushing to have all vehicle operators who use benzene to switch from gasohol 91 to gasohol E20 by mid-year. Minister Sonthirat Sonthijirawong said on Friday (January 24) the price of palm oil had stabilised somewhat after the ministry promoted the use of gasohol B10 as the preferred diesel fuel.

“The next measure is to promote gasohol E20, which is 20 per cent ethanol, as the most commonly used benzene fuel in the country,” he said.

“The aim is to increase the price of energy crops such as cassava and sugarcane, which are the raw materials for making ethanol. We also want to reduce the number of benzene fuels sold at petrol stations by removing gasohol 91 altogether.”

Cassava used to produce ethanol accounts for 27 per cent of total production, Sonthirat noted.

“If we can promote the use of cassava to produce ethanol, it will increase the value of agricultural products and improve the farmers’ quality of life.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381030

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-25

11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Problem is, many small engines can't handle E20 and so users will be forced to use the more expensive 95 octane E10 or will simply use E20 and wreck their fuel systems.

Of course, none of this type of information will be made available to the general public.

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. My Honda CBR250R runs fine on 91 but no idea if it would like E20.

5 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. My Honda CBR250R runs fine on 91 but no idea if it would like E20.

It should tell you in the owner's manual, it will certainly depend upon the exact model 

http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owning_a_honda/owners_manuals/motorcycles/CBR250R-RA 32KYJE000.pdf

says max 10%.

I was actually thinking of the millions of Honda GX35 and similar engines powering brush-cutters, water pumps, generators and all manner of small portable kit. These are rated for 10% ethanol max. Luckily the seals that get killed are cheap and readily available for these little chaps.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It should tell you in the owner's manual, it will certainly depend upon the exact model 

http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owning_a_honda/owners_manuals/motorcycles/CBR250R-RA 32KYJE000.pdf

says max 10%.

I was actually thinking of the millions of Honda GX35 and similar engines powering brush-cutters, water pumps, generators and all manner of small portable kit. These are rated for 10% ethanol max. Luckily the seals that get killed are cheap and readily available for these little chaps.

buy up the seals, someone will make a motza on them now

• Like 1

Another sop to the biofuel industry. No-one in government seems to understand by the time externalities are added in, such as fertiliser runoff, monoculture and government subsidies, the true cost of ethanol is some 50 - 70% above that of a petroleum-based fuel.

Half a tank of 95 straight petroleum, half a tank of E20.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Honda have been at the for front of this push globally, I switched to E85....85% Ethanol not 20% over 6  years ago when I brought a Honda Accord. Of course it will take any other petrol--as when it first came out there were not that many stations selling it--now its very  common. I get from the Lao Boarder (Nong Khai) to Bangkok on 1 tank (with the price increase now about 1,200 baht) This isn't an exaggeration--& I am prone to driving fast.

Honda used to have 50%  electric models but seemed to have stepped back from this with the success of their ethanol cars.

Last month I was in Oz with a rent a bomb (2004 car) it didn't handle the E20 they have there at all, had to go back to full price  petrol (which is quite a price there) I was told by the rental company as a rule of thumb any car over 2007 should handle E20 ok.

Most of this years Honda motor bikes are now E85

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

I switched to E85....85% Ethanol not 20% over 6  years ago when I brought a Honda Accord.

Nowadays most new limousines seem to be "flexifuel" capable.

If government ends subsidy for E85, the price might jump.

Ethanol is still more expensive than petrol off refinery.

They only want to appear stupid....They know exactly what will happen to untold billions of dollars worth of engines if the engines are forced to run on 20% ethanol.......

Replace seals?......Are you guys joking?...... The Thais already have a real problem with maintenance as it is.....

Edited by fforest1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

Problem is, many small engines can't handle E20 and so users will be forced to use the more expensive 95 octane E10 or will simply use E20 and wreck their fuel systems.

Of course, none of this type of information will be made available to the general public.

Lucky for folks like me who have cars such as the Suzuki Swift, as they recommend E20 gasohol, but not so lucky for other car users or as you say for those very small engines used on other equipment.

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

Problem is, many small engines can't handle E20 and so users will be forced to use the more expensive 95 octane E10

Well, the difference is 0.27 Baht today (25.98 vs. 26.25).

A bit more than 1% and less than the monthly/weekly fluctuations.

40 Satang reduction as of today as an example:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1145051-e20-compatibility/?do=findComment&comment=14989622

Not such a big issue?

Stepson always insisted on 95 for his four stroke Honda brush cutter whilst I still had 91 in the canister (now stopped and only 95 for all small engines, scooter etc.).

Now writing in two parallel threads regarding E20, confused :wacko:

Edited by KhunBENQ

38 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

if the engines are forced to run on 20% ethanol

They are not if you followed the discussion.

And people are not as stupid as you think and will switch to gasohol 95 as most have done to my observation.

Cars built since about 2010 (or even earlier) are capable for E20.

Out-phasing of 91 was announced during last year and overdue.

Hardly any European country where you still find 91 octane.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The Energy Ministry is pushing to have all vehicle operators who use benzene to switch from gasohol 91 to gasohol E20 by mid-year.

Very informative as usual coming from these incompetent people who have positions in govts.

Does he say what people do when there vehicle can't use it.

Why doesn't he mention E95.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, heybuz said:

No one seems to realize you get less mileage on ethanol based. fuel

Even when taking the mileage into account E20 is still the cheaper than 91/95.

There is no reason to use E85, it actually costs more per kilometer than E20.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

f government ends subsidy for E85, the price might jump.

Ethanol is still more expensive than petrol off refinery.

Is it.....That's  a surprise, years  ago in Oz they had a lot of small independent service stations, especially out in the country side. Many of the owners were accused of emptying the odd 40 gallon drum of 100% Ethanol into their tanks to top up their returns. The cars in those days didn't respond well to  it.

Whats the idea of the government switching to it if its more expensive

Edited by sanuk711

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“If we can promote the use of cassava to produce ethanol, it will increase the value of agricultural products and improve the farmers’ quality of life.”

And remove more forests to plant the crop!

4 hours ago, heybuz said:

No one seems to realize you get less mileage on ethanol based. fuel

True. Plus poor performance. While many older cars have fuel systems that would be damaged by Ethanol. Mine runs on 95 benzine (pure gasoline) only which I can now only find at Caltex and PTT.

As if we don't have enough pollution (see recent threads), Ethanol is made from Sugar Cane. Did this genius think about crop burning when he came up with his ill conceived idea? The Thais! .... Proof that you cannot fix stupid. It does my head in dealing with em.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Even when taking the mileage into account E20 is still the cheaper than 91/95.

I can support this.

In the beginning I did some fairly precise measurements (not only relying on the instruments).

If E20 is 2 Baht cheaper or more it makes sense.

Currently it's 3 Baht cheaper than gasohol 95.

12 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

And there you have it "rasing the price of sugarcane/promoting ethanol" Pollution is because of the governments thinking/plans!!

Skip the rubbish scams and go electric already you idiots.

Ok, i have a farm and use all kinds of pumps, brush cutters etc and can tell you the majoity wont run on e20!! Especially the little g35 (other poster mentioned) brush cutter engines which i also use as 1"water pumps all over my property and they all fail some instantly and some in time. The fillament filter membrane in the carbies along with the other components like fuel filters, primers and such will all fail real fast. 95with ethanol seems relatively ok but because my local stations dont have 91 anyway i chose to waste money on real 95 in everything which is fine because i have a bunch of bikes some tuned to 100octane so only get the real stuff.

This is a bad idea though. Real stupid!!

I  only  ever  use  full strength benzene  on all  my petrol engines inc  honda  cbr 650 honda leaf  blowers gx  25 gx 35   brushcutters honda  zoomer, wont go near ethanol as sometimes these  things  might not get used in  months and ethanol  sitting around causes  problems.