Latest nonsense at P.Thani IO for Marriage Extension

Just one thing that’s a little odd about this story you said this was your fifth annual extension yet still needed a home visit? I’ve done 7 annual extensions based on marriage and they only require either two witnesses or a home visit for your first extension only. So something just doesn’t sound right here. I recently did my 7th extension and no problems no request for witnesses or a home visit so that’s strange. Am I the only person here who has caught on to that part of the ops story? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlQaholic said:

It seems all Immigration offices has had a shake. Our office was always very smooth and friendly, with the 90 day taking a few minutes with no paper work involved at all, just a clerk doing it on-line, printing out a confirmation slip and putting that in the passport. Now this past week I went back to do another 90 day and all the staff has been changed, completely new staff at all levels, not one single person remained from last year. Now I had to fill in the form, I noticed a girl with like 50 passports that was sitting and filling in the form for each single passport. Luckily they didn't ask for any additional papers such as copies of passport, pictures, proof of residence etc.

Certainly seems so. Pathumthani IO improved vastly over several years. The process was improved, the move to a better office, and the officers, were IME, friendly, helpful and had been there sometime so recognized "the regulars". 90 day reporting was done in a couple of minutes, and retirement extensions, if all prepared, were completed in 30-40 mins. They were still very thorough and careful but effective, efficient and fairly friendly in the main. 

All that changed last year. Different staff, back to seemingly more time consuming bureaucracy and an apparent less friendly atmosphere. 

It's always been a busy office because of the businesses, universities, schools etc in the province. I had noticed a decrease in the amount of agents but that seems to have reversed. 

I guess, and it is purely a guess, that new seniors, changes in staff and the shake up from the new big bosses. Pressure to deny anyone who doesn't meet the criteria which also created pressure on the officers to make sure they don't make the slightest error. So everyone starts making double sure and inventing extra, even irrelevant and/or petty, extra bureaucracy. 

Shame because most of the individual officers are usually working hard and processes should be simplified and make full use of technology to make their jobs easier too.

5 minutes ago, bobnuts said:

@ Orchidfan, I feel your pain! I also have to 'deal' with Pathum Thani immigration office and a I dread the days I have to go there. The 'reception girl', if the one I am thinking of is the prime cause of my frustration and the best advert I have ever met for not wanting anything to do with Thailand, ever. She is clearly a complete disaster and utterly atrocious in her attitude. You have to think that rule number one for anyone working in immigration should be a positive a friendly attitude with the necessary communication skills for dealing with foreigners.

By contrast I have found all the other people working at that office most helpful and friendly.

There used to be an awful one on reception. Always chewing gum, miserable and unhelpful. She went a few years ago and the replacement was nice. Helpful and reasonably pleasant. Is there a different person now again?

21 hours ago, SteveK said:

I hope you didn't hand over 1000 baht for the home visit.

That’s the weirdest part of his story I’ve done 7 marriage extensions and you never need a home visit or witnesses after the first extension unless it’s his first year under that immigration office if he recently moved to that province, that’s the only reasonable explanation I can think of. Op, did you just recently move to that province? Otherwise you don’t need a home visit unless maybe you just recently moved there. That’s always a possibility. Even I’ve been through that once in 8 years but it wasn’t that hard when I switched provinces last year, just a quick TM30 form and I was in and out in a few minutes. No problem although the first extension I had to have two witnesses which wasn’t that hard but every year after that you don’t need them anymore or any home visit. So I guess the op must’ve recently moved to a new province that’s what it sounds like there’s no other way he’d need a home visit after 5 extensions no way. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gregsmithy said:

I have had 10 extensions and 3 me non o visa over the last 14 years and home visits have been frequent, oddly on the first extension they didn't visit but since they have called 3 times after the application and 3 times unannounced. All of my paperwork has been spot on for every application I have no overstays and am always polite and helpful. I have never had any problems with immigration but the mountain of paperwork drove me back to a me non o this year. I hoped this would at least curtail the visits, unfortunately they then decided to start checking for TM30s so I have had 2 visits in the last 7 months.  This is from Kap Choeng Surin immigration.

Ok, you two must be living in Phuket or something lol I don’t know. 

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, gregsmithy said:

I have had 10 extensions and 3 me non o visa over the last 14 years and home visits have been frequent, oddly on the first extension they didn't visit but since they have called 3 times after the application and 3 times unannounced. All of my paperwork has been spot on for every application I have no overstays and am always polite and helpful. I have never had any problems with immigration but the mountain of paperwork drove me back to a me non o this year. I hoped this would at least curtail the visits, unfortunately they then decided to start checking for TM30s so I have had 2 visits in the last 7 months.  This is from Kap Choeng Surin immigration.

Never heard of such a thing in ten years and I just recently did my 7th extension based on marriage. They only require that the first year. If you’re getting constantly visited it’s probably about something else. I’d ask if I were you. That’s weird.

• Sad 1

This is what government officials do if you have somehow disrespected them in the past. Perhaps something as simple as not waiing then when handing the docs.

Maybe your attitude. Maybe your wife's.

My wife insisted on giving them some packet of sweets. We didn't get a visit from them, everything was done in 40 minutes. We went after 2 pm.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RoiEtDale said:

That’s the weirdest part of his story I’ve done 7 marriage extensions and you never need a home visit or witnesses after the first extension unless it’s his first year under that immigration office if he recently moved to that province, that’s the only reasonable explanation I can think of. Op, did you just recently move to that province? Otherwise you don’t need a home visit unless maybe you just recently moved there. That’s always a possibility. Even I’ve been through that once in 8 years but it wasn’t that hard when I switched provinces last year, just a quick TM30 form and I was in and out in a few minutes. No problem although the first extension I had to have two witnesses which wasn’t that hard but every year after that you don’t need them anymore or any home visit. So I guess the op must’ve recently moved to a new province that’s what it sounds like there’s no other way he’d need a home visit after 5 extensions no way. 

Does the OP or his wife have tattoes?

Were they dressed in appropriate attire when visiting immigration?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

My experience also from a visit a few days ago, that the reception girl at the IO Pathum Thani is not very friendly and / or not interested. But not only her: wanted to ask details about health insurance regarding my O-A Visa issued before 31st October last year. Totally confusing answers from various officers, they just not listended, mostly two talked at the same time and it looks like the subject are boring them (my wife translated something like "Oh no, not again...." from Thai....)

• Like 1

Very interesting reading this thread, i just did my retirement extension on friday.

We went to Khonkaen immigration expecting a hard time, but complete opposite.

Each year wife goes in to do my extension, io comes out, we need your photo, last year io even wanted a photo of my urine bag, complete and utter waste of time, as it was at my feet, so could have been anybody.

Friday my wife comes out after 15 minutes, whats the problem this time i ask, set lao she says, WHAT!!

No photo, no questions, i was stunned.

Now i was sitting in the pickup in the disabled parking spot, and i saw 2 farangs going into immigration, both in flip flops/ shorts/ t shirts, 1 even with a cigarette in his mouth, both very poorly dressed.

An African man passed going into immigration, black shoes, black trousers, and dress shirt, i thought what a difference.

This year my wife was asked for her id, she showed her government id, not her Thai id, i think that is why this year was so easy.

Edited by colinneil
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Friday my wife comes out after 15 minutes, whats the problem this time i ask, set lao she says, WHAT!!

I couldn't possibly understand how they did it all in 15 minutes. I had over an inch of paperwork when I did mine, that would be 5 seconds per page (took me 7 hours).

Edited by SteveK

Just now, SteveK said:

I couldn't possibly understand how they did it all in 15 minutes. I had over an inch of paperwork when I did mine, that's under 5 seconds per page.

Read the last sentence of my post, that answers it.

My wife is higher in the government ranks than the person dealing with my extension.

• Haha 1

I avoid all this nonsense by getting a multi-entry visa. I have to leave every 90 days (no re-entry permit required), but that gives me the opportunity to visit a neighbouring country for a day or two (Singapore last time, KL before that), or I'm going overseas anyway. Or I pop over to Savannakhet for 10 minutes to buy some Lao beer (used to be allowed to bring back six large cans but last time was warned I can only bring back small ones), and I'm back home for lunch. No 400,000, masses of documents, house visit.

• Like 1

I don’t have any respect for these people, I'm not a submissive person but not aggressive either. 

I try not to prepare too much other than basic copies, a stack of photos, google map and bank letter, but I have all the papers in a file with me.

I don’t have any expectation of time, just go to the bank at 8.00 and then it’s done when it’s done. Maybe not the same day. I think some people should just chill out, don’t prepare too much and lower your expectations.

I take objection to the home visit, that made me feel dirty, the guy was ok, but it’s just not acceptable to have someone in your bedroom taking photos just to prove you are married, I’m lost, I don’t see the connection.

Luckily we don’t need to supply witnesses or have any requests for extra payments or gifts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I avoid all this nonsense by getting a multi-entry visa. I have to leave every 90 days (no re-entry permit required), but that gives me the opportunity to visit a neighbouring country for a day or two (Singapore last time, KL before that), or I'm going overseas anyway. Or I pop over to Savannakhet for 10 minutes to buy some Lao beer (used to be allowed to bring back six large cans but last time was warned I can only bring back small ones), and I'm back home for lunch. No 400,000, masses of documents, house visit.

Let’s wait and see when they close the loophole and remove the ME visa, I had a ME for a few years and got sick of hearing that I was abusing the visa, from border and local office staff, which I was. The joys of yearly trips to savannakhet wear thin after a while.

Life is so much easier and cheaper with an extension, 1900b for a year, send the wife to do my 90 day, just one day of putting up with the B S.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I couldn't possibly understand how they did it all in 15 minutes. I had over an inch of paperwork when I did mine, that would be 5 seconds per page (took me 7 hours).

When I did my last extension earlier this month based on marriage I probably would have been done in an hour or less probably 30 minutes or less but I had to go back to the bank and get updated paperwork but other than that it went really well. No problems. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SteveK said:

So what that proves is that they can process us quickly and efficiently if they want to. They just prefer to waste hours of your time and nit pick over folds in pieces of paper and colour of ink. Why do they do that when this proves that it is not necessary?

Most of the small immigration offices really are very fast and efficient. 

• Like 1

I appreciate your post.

You know I am at the point where I believe that any foreigner here who doesn't think IO officials and their antics aren't conniving are simply naive..

Did I even mention their professionalism...ha

On a more positive note, yeah getting out before noon is pleasant but even if not just view it as a day for shopping or visiting a new place or cafe.  At least that's how I view it..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

Let’s wait and see when they close the loophole and remove the ME visa,

Not too far off, I'd say. Already not available where the only option to apply is on-line, such as in London and Paris. And of course there is no option shown on the printed application for an ME either. I wouldn't really mind if Thais also had to keep 400,000 in the bank. Why us and not them? We live in the same country and most of us have the same daily expenses and needs as the locals. Those who want or need to spend more are also Thai as well as us 'aliens', so the financial requirement doesn't really make sense and is discriminatory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last time I did my marriage extension I was also told I had to fill in the TM 7 form by hand in blue ink. I gave them this, plus a copy. But the copy was not acceptable and I had to do the duplicate by hand also in blue ink!

On the plus side, they didn't require the home visit although my wife had to sit at the IOs computer and fill out the form (which I assume the visiting officers normally complete).

46 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

why do they do it?  because they can.

the only real power a bureaucrat has is the permission from their superiors to say NO.  it gives 'some' a warm, fuzzy feeling inside to force others to bend to their will.

And that is down to the rigid class system in Thailand. Everyone has to bow to their supposed 'superior', even if they know he/she is an idiot, and wearing a uniform grants them automatic permission to take revenge for their own need to bow and scrape by making others do the same to them. Simple as that. A uniform can do and demand whatever they want because they have a job for life and there is no comeback if they behave in that way. Even the few who are accused of criminal activity (such as corruption) are not prosecuted or even sacked. The worst they can expect is to be taken out of the money chain by being moved to an inactive post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

Let’s wait and see when they close the loophole and remove the ME visa, I had a ME for a few years and got sick of hearing that I was abusing the visa, from border and local office staff, which I was. The joys of yearly trips to savannakhet wear thin after a while.

Life is so much easier and cheaper with an extension, 1900b for a year, send the wife to do my 90 day, just one day of putting up with the B S.

Down to every ones point of view I suppose, from my point of view calling the non-O ME a "loophole???? is unreasonable, and such a visa no longer being issued in home country being very disappointing ????. If for some reason I had to go to Thailand urgently from the UK, having the ME in the passport is comforting (only a short period annually where it would be unavailable).

(From my point of view it would seem, an extension with a multi-entry permit is not viable either , as it takes longer than 90 days in Thailand for it to be processed. As well as potentially using up my wife's time, if they were unable to make it a straight forward process at whatever office, as many have described).

Edited by UKresonant
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Pretty hard for just another, one-off bad experience at a well-known 'bad' immigration office to counterbalance the overwhelmingly large amount of fair-to-good immigration experiences at the 'good' immigration offices, most of which we never, ever hear about.

I appreciate that there's no excuse for this shocking lack or consistency in a government department at the same time as I appreciate that some members do need to vent after their bad experiences.

There is no one more critical of Thai immigration than me, but I do appreciate that there are some good IOs as well as bad.

• Like 2