Is it safe to travel to Thailand? Latest advice after deadly coronavirus kills 132

webfact

9 minutes ago, tropo said:

Yes, I'm aware of that. 19? 14? nitpicking are we?

I read that 7 of them were discharged.

Maybe you know what percentage of the deaths in China so far were young and healthy people? We know the flu kills many people worldwide. 

I would call Thailand a risk, but not a huge risk. If the risk increases, Chinese tourists will be barred from entering. 

This is not about deaths or death rates. Please to get an idea of what the danger is, then look at Wuhan. The problem is that it does not take many infected to take down the hospitals and their ressources. Dead people are easy to deal with. Sick people are not.

• Like 1

I must go to Pattaya!!!  I must.    Oh, Wuhan.  Ah....let me look out the door at the local "cows".  Yes, Pattaya it is!!!

Sexpats won't let something like Wuhan stop them.  They are dead already.  Wuhan gets them excited, actually.   Risky behavior with AIDS must have gotten boring.  

Dear, why must you go to Thailand?  Well, honey, I love picking strawberries and feeding the elephants.  Oh, OK.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, khunpa said:

This is not about deaths or death rates. Please to get an idea of what the danger is, then look at Wuhan. The problem is that it does not take many infected to take down the hospitals and their ressources. Dead people are easy to deal with. Sick people are not.

Coronavirus by the numbers
Confirmed cases global
Australian cases
Figures as of Feb 1, 9.30pm. Source - World Health Organization
Chart
25days
23hours
46minutes
30seconds
Days since the virus was discovered
Death Toll

33 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Excuse me if I'm not panicking, 9 (or 7) of the reported cases in Thailand have been released, and the others are not dead. How many of the dead in China are younger, healthy people? The "normal" flu kills a lot of old frail people.

24 minutes ago, tropo said:

Excuse me if I'm not panicking, 9 (or 7) of the reported cases in Thailand have been released, and the others are not dead. How many of the dead in China are younger, healthy people? The "normal" flu kills a lot of old frail people.

The Chinese declared 143 deaths from flu in 2019. The numbers they are publishing now are probably also wrong. If someone die before being tested for the coronavirus then they are not counted. 

No need to panic but it's not a bad idea to stockpile food and medecine because if people start to panic them it's too late. 

Edited by Tayaout

26 minutes ago, tropo said:

I is not about how may people die. It is about how many people needs a hospital bed and healthcare. People really start to die when the hospital system breaks down. You can not compare this to flu, because people get more sick from this. 

In Wuhan it started with only 1 case. Look at them now.

Edited by khunpa

2 minutes ago, khunpa said:

I is not about how may people die. It is about how many people needs a hospital bed and healthcare. People really start to die when the hospital system breaks down. You can not compare this to flu, because people get more sick from this. 

Using their logic yes we can. The Chinese declared 143 deaths from flu in 2019. This mean that using Chinese math then this epidemic is a lot worse already. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

19 but only 10 ill (9 have recovered and discharged) Sort of puts it into perspective.

So far, there are no deaths outside of China and many have recovered or are recovering.

There is a real life on-going example of what happens when this spreads more. It is called Wuhan.

I am sure that they were not so worried when they had 19 cases and 0 deaths in Wuhan. Now I doubt they feel the same. China just asked EU for help with medical supplies. Wonder why.

• Like 1

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-31/there-s-another-virus-stalking-the-u-s-and-it-s-called-the-flu

If containment is effective which so far appears to be, then we'll not see the same crisis as in China.

SARS came and went of it's own accord mainly due to effective containment.  SARS was a much more serious virus than WuFlu.  To date there is still no vaccine for SARS.

We'll see.

21 minutes ago, khunpa said:

In Wuhan it started with only 1 case. Look at them now.

You still haven't answered my question. Does this kill young, healthy people, or just elderly, frail people? What is the breakdown of the deaths so far in China?

Do you think we're heading for a plague something like the Black Death in Europe that killed half of Europe's population (30 - 60% estimates) 700 years ago? I suppose it is possible... especially in impoverished nations. There are prophecies about "end-time" plagues in the Bible. Maybe this is the beginning of the end.

6 minutes ago, tropo said:

You still haven't answered my question. Does this kill young, healthy people, or just elderly, frail people? What is the breakdown of the deaths so far in China?

Do you think we're heading for a plague something like the Black Death in Europe that killed half of Europe's population (30 - 60% estimates) 700 years ago? I suppose it is possible... especially in impoverished nations. There are prophecies about "end-time" plagues in the Bible. Maybe this is the beginning of the end.

I think this is the only available mini-study sofar https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30211-7/fulltext

I don't think anyone knows where this is heading. I just hope it stops and is contained. I just can't see how they will contain it, considering how it spreads. Maybe it will just fade out. 

Edited by khunpa

18 minutes ago, khunpa said:

I think this is the only available mini-study sofar https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30211-7/fulltext

I don't think anyone knows where this is heading. I just hope it stops and is contained. I just can't see how they will contain it, considering how it spreads. Maybe it will just fade out. 

On a more positive note, what precautions are you taking:

1. Mask?

2. Avoiding public transport? (buses, BTS, MRT, airplanes)

3. Avoiding busy shopping malls and markets?

4. Grocery shopping after midnight?

5. Keeping your distance from Chinese tourists?

6. Taking the stairs instead of the elevator?

7. Avoiding restaurants?

Edited by tropo

9 minutes ago, tropo said:

On a more positive note, what precautions are you taking:

1. Mask?

2. Avoiding public transport? (buses, BTS, MRT, airplanes)

3. Avoiding busy shopping malls and markets?

4. Grocery shopping after midnight?

5. Keeping your distance from Chinese tourists?

6. Taking the stairs instead of the elevator?

I am not taking any precautions really. Wear a mask when out and thats it. But honestly, I do not think it will help much.

You?

Only place I would not like to go right now is a hospital.

Edited by khunpa

1 minute ago, khunpa said:

I am not taking any precautions really. Wear a mask when out and thats it. But honestly, I do not think it will help much.

You?

Well, my wife is the one panicking, so for us:

1. Wear masks, much to my protest. As she says, there's no point for only her to wear one.

2. No public transport. 

3. Foodland shopping after midnight.

4. No restaurants. Food courts definitely out. Took Lae Dee late at night will be OK.

5. Avoid markets and busy malls (this will save me money LOL).

The other day I wanted to shop in Foodland at Terminal 21 at around 10pm, but my wife freaked out as it was full of Chinese people. We waited an hour until it was quiet LOL. It's also important not to touch hands to face when out in public places. The masks will help with that.

I feel sorry for shop and restaurant owners who are already doing it tough.

I decided to postpone my trip. Whatever the chances of actually getting sick are, i think the quality will not be there. Its not a good time to be on long flights and it will be a drag for a while with everyone milling around in masks, paranoid. Alot of the energy will be missing for a little while Im coming though just as soon as this passes. See you soon dear Thailand????

Edited by brett25
  • Like 1

We were planning to come to Thailand this spring as we do every year.

I am not very concerned with Thailand we own a house in Khon Kaen and for the most part we keep to ourselves, or concerned in the US as we also keep to ourselves there and the chances of being infected are minimal at this time, But I am concerned  getting in a plane with who knows who, and transfers at high risk areas, So we are keeping an eye on the situation, and perhaps we will skip Thailand this year. Lets hope this thing fizzles out.

59 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I am not very concerned with Thailand we own a house in Khon Kaen and for the most part we keep to ourselves, or concerned in the US as we also keep to ourselves there and the chances of being infected are minimal at this time, But I am concerned  getting in a plane with who knows who, and transfers at high risk areas, So we are keeping an eye on the situation, and perhaps we will skip Thailand this year. Lets hope this thing fizzles out.

"You can run but you can't hide".I hope it fizzles too.Looks like the WuFlu is tying up the laces of it's traveling shoes.Who knew the Wu flu flew to you too,do you?

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

It's the airports that worry me and getting on a plane, although here in Phuket it has quietened down a lot, I eat at home mostly if I need to buy anything I go early in the morning to Makro I did see people walk out of 7/11 the other day because of a bunch of Chinese in there

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, khunpa said:

Dead people are easy to deal with. 

Not in large quantities, especially if the virus survives in the body after death for a period long enough to be a hazard to the disposal personnel. Logistics are a major problem in outbreaks.

images.jpg.a8cafe478020b9c38240317a2e9ca83c.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CGW said:

Me too ???? thankfully!

So far I have managed to survive through Mad Monkey Cow Disease, Ebola,  the Swine Flu, Bird Flu, HIV, Aids, SARS, MERS, NBC, CBS, Ch 3, ABC, MSNBC, CNN, enforced vaccinations, drought, floods, Bush & Obama, 3 coups, Thai roads and to date, Agenda 21, Greta Thunberg & Global warming, all is well, just sitting back watching the hysteria.

Ok fine so what amulet do you have then ?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Acrylic said:

I don't understand why people want to visit Thailand at this time. It's not like that Thailand is the only place they can visit and Thailand will still be here years later. No need to visit right now. 

Sex , is the reason , nothing new .