Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Savannakhet Non O for dependant / spouse

Hi all

I'm looking for the latest reliable information please.
I've just ended my contract with my school and therefore, my Non B and work permit will be cancelled in the next few days.
I'm heading to Savannakhet to get a new visa which will eventually be used for working again.
My wife and 6 year old son are both Thai and we have a marriage and birth certificates house book etc.
I've been here full time since 2008 built our house etc.
I know as a supporting spouse parent you can work on a Non O dependent visa.
My questions are: Which is the best / easiest way to go with regards to a visa (Non O or Tourist) which requires the least hassle and no financial requirements?
What are the current requirements for the visa you recommend with regards to paperwork etc.
Which are the best days to attend Savannakhet now that the visa agents go there?
I truly welcome all constructive replies and thank you in advance.

Edited by Lopchan
left out details
  • Like 1

You can obtain single or multi entry non immigrant O visa from Savannakhet without financials required.  You do need original marriage certificate and copy as well as normal paperwork.  The multi entry would cover you if unable to extend within 90 - 120 days as only an exit/entry required for new 90 days and you also have option for 60 day extension on basis of wife on each entry.  Tuesday/Wednesday are best days to make application although tourist visas are not being issued to many anymore so even when vans are there the queue is much less.  If not sure of full paperwork a quick google should find as this is a very popular subject - expect other will have full list.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry i have another couple of  questions. Just found out my wife has lost her passport. Can Thais still border jump using only their ID card as in the past?
And with the multi entry, do you mean I can extend each 90 day stay by another 60 effectively giving 15 months on that visa lopburi3? Sorry, I'm a bit thick.

Yes on the 90 days plus 60 days - it will cost 1,900 baht for TM.7 so if close to border might be better to just cross and get 90 days each time.  That will give almost 15 months plus another 60 days with extension at end.  And if you have the financials you can extend any entry for one year.  

Believe they accept ID card but not sure if same location at bridge or have to get permit elsewhere.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lopchan said:

Sorry i have another couple of  questions. Just found out my wife has lost her passport. Can Thais still border jump using only their ID card as in the past?
And with the multi entry, do you mean I can extend each 90 day stay by another 60 effectively giving 15 months on that visa lopburi3? Sorry, I'm a bit thick.

Yes. Yes.

...and yes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lopchan said:

Her ID card is not enough. She has to apply for and obtain a border pass to depart Thailand and enter Laos for a fee of about 50 baht. There is a office just before the bridge to get it.

You can get a 60 day extension of each 90 day entry that can allow you a total stay of about 17 months. You have to be careful using the extension and be sure you do the last 90 day entry on or before the day you visa expires.

• Like 1

A friend of mine was in Savannahket doing his non-o renewal based on marriage about 3 weeks ago. He told me that there was a person at the entrance gate checking all paperwork before they let you enter. He's been married to a Thai for almost 40 years and he told me that they had refused him entry because they wanted to see the paperwork from when his wife changed her maiden name to his family name.

I went through the non-o route several years ago before changing to the yearly extension and I certainly don't remember being asked to supply a document showing the name change.

Maybe Ubonjoe can clarify what the actual document is and if its a standard request?

Edited by nahkit
spelling

43 minutes ago, nahkit said:

A friend of mine was in Savannahket doing his non-o renewal based on marriage about 3 weeks ago. He told me that there was a person at the entrance gate checking all paperwork before they let you enter. He's been married to a Thai for almost 40 years and he told me that they had refused him entry because they wanted to see the paperwork from when his wife changed her maiden name to his family name.

I went through the non-o route several years ago before changing to the yearly extension and I certainly don't remember being asked to supply a document showing the name change.

Maybe Ubonjoe can clarify what the actual document is and if its a standard request?

They must have turned back everyone applying for the same visa.  Who would have that on them without advance notice?

41 minutes ago, Jorgendk said:

As far as I remember , you also need a new TM (forget the number) from the amper, stating that you are still married.

I assume you mean a Kor Ror 2 marriage registry. Savannakhet does not normally ask for a updated one,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Sounds like BS to me.

Certainly not something that I've ever been asked for, he said that he had his wife scan the papers and email them to him and the next day when he presented himself at the gate they didn't even look at his stuff. No reason why he would BS me but at 80 years old he may well have got confused over what it was they were asking for.

Edited by nahkit

3 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

They must have turned back everyone applying for the same visa.  Who would have that on them without advance notice?

Not every Thai lady changes her family name upon marriage to a foreigner.

In fact, years ago, it was a bad move to do so as under Thai law they were no longer eligible to own land. That was changed sometime during the 90's if I remember correctly, possibly after the IMF bailout in 1997.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nahkit said:

In fact, years ago, it was a bad move to do so as under Thai law they were no longer eligible to own land. That was changed sometime during the 90's if I remember correctly, possibly after the IMF bailout in 1997.   

Wouldn't matter, both names would be on the marriage certificate.

Up to her which one she uses after the marriage, on her ID, house book and passport.

Just now, BritManToo said:
17 minutes ago, nahkit said:

Wouldn't matter, both names would be on the marriage certificate.

Up to her which one she uses after the marriage, on her ID, house book and passport.

The point I was making was that if she hadn't changed her name then they couldn't ask for the name change paperwork could they?

9 minutes ago, nahkit said:

The point I was making was that if she hadn't changed her name then they couldn't ask for the name change paperwork could they?

Doesn't matter his story is off, she couldn't email him copies as they insist on seeing the original Marriage Certificate.

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Doesn't matter his story is off, she couldn't email him copies as they insist on seeing the original Marriage Certificate.

They weren't asking to see his marriage certificate (which he had with him), they were asking to see the paperwork from when she changed her surname.

42 minutes ago, nahkit said:

OK, they'd have to turn back most.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, misterphil said:

Can you advise? You say you can work on a Non O visa? I have a Non O visa, Thai wife and we have a son together. 

Can i work on this visa? 

Yes, you can. Of course, you still need a work permit. To work, you need both a qualifying visa/permission to stay and the work permit.

On 1/31/2020 at 9:34 AM, Lopchan said:

And with the multi entry, do you mean I can extend each 90 day stay by another 60 effectively giving 15 months on that visa lopburi3? Sorry, I'm a bit thick

We just came back from Savannakhet. I had to make a new visa and wanted the wife to go with me. Her passport wasn't valid 6 months so she had to go for a border pass. It's a very easy procedure. The office is before the Thai departure immigration on the left side. Your wife can ask someone. The office opens at 8 a.m. , take a queue number, give ID-card, pay fee 50 baht, take 2 copies in same place for 2 baht each. All done in 5 minutes. Borderpass is valid 3 days. Easy walk through at Thai and Laos immigration.

Just came back from Savannakhet. I applied on 30 January for a non O single entry visa. Fee 2000 baht.

Fill in application form with 2 photos. Form available at left window.

Copy of photo page your passport signed by you.

Copy of marriage certificate plus original.

Copy of your wife's house book signed by her.

Copy of your wife's id-card signed by her.

Single entry 2000 baht.

Multiple entry 5000 baht.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 4:34 PM, nahkit said:

yes, my wife is high rank officer in thai army, she didnt change her last name. She asked me if im ok with that, and i said no problem. She explained me if she changes her last name it will make lot of problem because shes a government officer... i also asked some other ppl about this they all told me shes right. Now i can see one other problem it could create when i go to savanakhet.. thanks her again she didnt change it ????