Debt crisis with girlfriend

1 hour ago, genericptr said:

My questions:

1) Does this sound like total nonsense? She's never had a history of lying but this is so insane/stupid and I just can't accept it.

Seen that from a couple of Thai girls who had a con master farang boyfriend in the past. They'd make credit cards etc. for them, and then the guys found another one to scam and ran away without paying the bills. Some I've seen in more debt than that. And talking about it is losing face so unless they are facing a firing squad they won't tell you about it.

So it's possible.

1 hour ago, genericptr said:

2) What do Thais do in this situation? They already take payments directly out of her paycheck but will they reposes the car or something? My instinct is file for bankruptcy since she has assets besides a car but can you even do that in Thailand? It's so sad but the first 15 years of her working career has resulted in 0 savings, 0 money earning assets and debt. What a shame.

Can't talk about declaring bankruptcy as I don't know about it (not in Thailand anyway) but if she did, it is likely going to cost her her job, according to a friend of mine who also works for government.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In my book, not a smart move to love someone / enter into a relationship with someone who you know or believe has the inclination to ruin your future financial well-being.

Considering they have been together for 7 years and she has not had "strange" behaviour before, she might be telling the truth. But for sure she must have some kind of spending problem and that has to stop. If me (and I loved her.... and she was super hot and crazy in bed), I would properly help her this one time and then make a plan to get out of the debt as fast as possible. If she could not stick to the plan, I would RUN! ????

Just strange a huge debt like that can go unnoticed for years.

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, genericptr said:

I knew she had debt but I assumed it was under control. She was using her bonus to keep afloat and she assumed it would always be there I guess.

She must have some serious bad spending habits with her salary and benefits, if the bonus has been needed to keep afloat. Thats going to be up-hill for sure.

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, genericptr said:

I knew she had debt but I assumed it was under control. She was using her bonus to keep afloat and she assumed it would always be there I guess.

If I was confronted with your situation, I would

let her deal with it herself. its a learning process.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, genericptr said:

I don't think the difference between getting or not getting a 6.3% annual bonus on a 38,000 baht salary is going to be the make vs break difference in the kind of financial problems you described. That amount works out to about 29,000 baht extra per year, or 2,400b per month equiv., assuming you mean the bonus was going to be applied against her total annual salary.

My girlfriend of 7 years has good government job in Chiang Mai (in my opinion) which pays 38,000/month and provides free housing. She's had this job since being out of university and she's 40 now. Since last year the yearly bonus they receive has been cut from 7% to about 0.7%

9 hours ago, genericptr said:

If I give her the benefit of the doubt then she made one incredibly stupid mistake with her first boyfriend and she's not recovered from it since then. She's not been smart about it though by doing things like buying new cars but she absolutely insists on the car. It's 10k/month for that payment alone.

The immense problem of the men and in particular of the farang with respect to the Thai women is that they think with their balls instead of using their brains;
(unless the said brain is placed in this place and in this case there, a passage in surgery is essential ) :jap:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

There's no shortage of potential gfs with less financial baggage.

I know what I'd do.

I suppose paying 100000 for your girlfriend is different.

Or than that was maybe the less expensive of potential gfs at the time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, genericptr said:

Yeah that really pisses me off and she absolutely insists there is no other way whatsoever she can get around for her job. I feel like I should have just stayed in the US and let her sort this out on her own because she's making my life miserable staying here.

Leave!

12 hours ago, genericptr said:

they reposes the car or something?

They can repose the car for car loan only. They reposed my gf's car and I paid to get it back from auction lot. She is also my daughter's mother so I had to get it and she knows I am loaded. What would my daughter say if I don't pay her mother? "Papa mai me tang"

Edited by Vascoda