Vietnam puts the kibosh on foreigners

There are plenty of backpackers here. Its not the issue. Maybe more it's all the teachers working on tourist visas? I have to believe they just don't want single men or women retiring here. A lot of people who bought condos are going to regretting their decision. I sold my condo in Thailand 5 years ago. Maybe saw the writing on the wall. Been in Asia twenty years and a lot of stuff still doesn't make any sense to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YetAnother said:

pity, vietnam was going to be my bolt country; chatter has it cambodia may follow, next for me mexico

I take it your quite proficient with a gun.................:coffee1:

*** 29 percent of all U.S. citizens who perished overseas died in Mexico, according to the U.S. Department of State.Feb 19, 2019.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Malaysia may be welcoming to foreigners, but man the place is just so dull. 6 months and I would be looking for a balcony to fall off of.

I like visiting Malaysia. It has a better infrastructure, is less crowded than Thailand and culturally not as insular, but I think you might be right about living there could be boring.

Edited by rabang
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidB4 said:

Consider Georgia, the country not the state. IF your primary interest is not chasing skirts because that doesn't work well here. Very inexpensive, good food, nice apartments at good rates and 1 year visa free, and repeatable. Also very inexpensive flight options to neighboring countries, like round-trip to Santorini for under $100, total! 

And absolutely horrible air pollution in the capital: https://www.georgianjournal.ge/society/34468-tbilisi-among-dangerous-cities-in-europe-where-air-pollution-is-high.html

I love georgia but that one alone is a dealbreaker, batumi doesn't really fancy me ???? 

Not sure about your chasing skirt comment tho, it's absoluely full with hookers from thailand, russia, turkey and co ????

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, baansgr said:

If this is true, its no longer an alternative...three months was bad enough but having to leave and pay every month is madness. A few reports coming out of Manila and Angeles that PI is clamping down on being able to do tourist visas for three years, now requiring people to be married or SRRV

I don't doubt you but do you have any background on those reports about the Philippines, like where can I see them?  I ask because I am heading there in a month.

Edited by AAArdvark

Here is the key VN immigration law amendment, among many, passed last November and effective July 1:

13. Amendments to Clause 1 Article 31 as follows:
“1. A foreigner making entry without having a valid temporary resident card or permanent residence card shall be issued with a temporary residence certificate at the border checkpoint valid within definite period as follows:
a) Period of temporary residence granted shall equal his/her visa validity; in case his/her visa is encoded as DL and valid for more than 30 days, he/she shall be granted temporary residence for 30 days and shall be considered for extension of temporary residence as specified in Article 35 of this Law;

Yup, it appears to say that even if you have a 90-day tourist (DL) visa, you can only stay 30 days and must get out. But you can come back.

Taken as it is, it sure seems like long-term "tourists" are not welcome any more. However, the government is keen on getting rid of "tourists" who, for example, teach English without a work permit. There was another news article that went further:

https://vietnamnet.vn/en/society/police-profile-foreign-criminals-entering-vietnam-601182.html

All that said, we don't know a lot more than that. Several legal firms have said they expect more "clarifications" and "guidance" before the July 1 effective date.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
Typos.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I don't doubt you but do you have any background on those reports about the Philippines, like where can I see them?  I ask because I am heading there in a month.

its mentioned on a lot of expat vlogs: 

Here from newssource: https://www.silent-gardens.com/blog/philippines-9a-tourist-visa-stricter-enforcement-of-regulations/

Unfortunately the Bureau of Immigration (BI) found that more and more foreigners come to work here without the correct employment visa (9G). This is why holders of a tourist visa are intensely screened  when arriving in ports and airports. Also when applying for an extension they often must face a huge series of questions and additional inquiries.

Their visa system gets abused like thailands, obviously they will crack down - this will happen everywhere in the world. 

I was warning about vietnam for a while here, got only laughed at ... well, now see yourself.

All these SEA countries - except glorious Singapore are super protectionist, because they are braindead. Foreigners have far less rights in PH/VN than in thailand, and it's only going downhill from here... think twice before you go their long term without an SRRV visa.

Edited by ThomasThBKK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1