Coronavirus and drought crises to take a toll on Thai economy

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The centre, however, has not yet revised down its forecast for Thai economic growth this year from 2.8 per cent, as it was waiting to see if the government’s current and upcoming remedial measures could successfully ameliorate the problems.

Remedial figure fiddling would be more appropriate

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai economic growth this year from 2.8 per cent

What´s much more less than the surrounding countries and Vietnam.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The PM2.5 dust pollution, if not at a serious level for more than two weeks, will affect GDP by Bt3.8 billion. If the situation prevails for not more than one month, it will cost Bt6.2 billion, according to UTCC's estimates.

Not more than one month is very optimistic. Especially in the north it will be for around 3 months.

• Sad 1

Read this link. https://www.c9hotelworks.com/news/phuket-coronavirus-tourism-impact-by-numbers.php?fbclid=IwAR2D8t0H13r-WcmhX5euLP7gZLabMhE9slmval7bzGPiHql361n5cyezIZA

The important part is, that the tourist numbers are massive down compared with last year - but Chinese New year was last year in February.

14 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

No doubt. And add to that the worst air pollution in years. It is a perfect storm. Corona was not of their own making. Virtually every other problem Thailand faces was self created by the incompetents, who deserve to be ousted by the people. 

We will all wait to see if Thailand and its relationship with the 2019 nCoV will be gasoline on a hot fire or not.

As for ousting by the People ? well they do have to fight Apache Gun Ships and all kinds of other War Toys with only a Machete 

On 1/31/2020 at 4:33 PM, Cake Monster said:

We will all wait to see if Thailand and its relationship with the 2019 nCoV will be gasoline on a hot fire or not.

As for ousting by the People ? well they do have to fight Apache Gun Ships and all kinds of other War Toys with only a Machete 

If push came to shove, and the Thai people really rose up and demanded justice and competence, I seriously doubt the army would have the veracity to mount an Egyptian or Chinese style attack on the people. I just do not see that happening.  

• Like 1

"And add to that the worst air pollution in years."

The air quality is getting worse even here in rural Isaan. Popped out this morning on my motorcycle to pick up some groceries, I was coughing, sneezing and my eyes were watering. Pretty horrendous.

125 in Ubon

157 in Korat

141 in Kohn Kaen

Pretty shocking when central London is 42!

Edited by SteveK

25 minutes ago, SteveK said:

"And add to that the worst air pollution in years."

The air quality is getting worse even here in rural Isaan. Popped out this morning on my motorcycle to pick up some groceries, I was coughing, sneezing and my eyes were watering. Pretty horrendous.

125 in Ubon

157 in Korat

141 in Kohn Kaen

Pretty shocking when central London is 42!

As per article that smoke costs Thailand's GDP between Bt3.8 and Bt6.2 billion a year! 

And still next to nothing happens. What's up with the apathy in this country?