SURVEY: Coronavirus, is the gov’t doing enough?

Scott

SURVEY: Coronavirus, is the gov’t doing enough?  

161 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the coronavirus causing so many problems, do you think the Thai government is doing enough to keep Thailand and tourists safe?  

Please feel free to leave a comment and let us know what you think needs to be done.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Today's arrivals from mainland China:

BKK:  33 flights

DMK:   7 flights

I weeded out the few cancellations.

TG did announce they would be cutting capacity Feb 8 - 20  https://www.thaiairways.com/en/news/news_announcement/news_detail/china-flightinfo.page

12000 plus potential carriers of the disease arriving who could be travelling to various locations in Thailand, great way of trying to stop Coronavirus spreading !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

12000 plus potential carriers of the disease arriving who could be travelling to various locations in Thailand, great way of trying to stop Coronavirus spreading !

It is very simplistic to believe that you can just close a border and keep a virus like this from spreading.  At most you delay it.  Every human (and in this case some forms of animals) are potential carriers of the virus.  Suddenly panicking and closing the border which will lead to panic in the population and the implosion of the economy (which relies on trade) would be much more damaging than suffering through a rather nasty 'flu'.  Only a small minority will end up with ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) and it will likely be bell curved to those with existing conditions and the elderly.  The current mortality rate is around 2% (it may be higher it may be lower).  The Spanish flu had a mortality rate of 10% of those infected (3% of the world's population as about 1/3 of the worlds population caught it).   The cost of closing the borders to the economy and peoples ability to make a living and feed themselves - would greatly outway the effects of the virus itself.  It is not like there is a shortage of people in the world anyway.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

What about this report from the USA, quite a few passed away here with flu ?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-31/there-s-another-virus-stalking-the-u-s-and-it-s-called-the-flu

Yes and there is also cancer, accidents etc. 

This virus is an add-on spreading fast and taking up lots of hospital beds.

I think that what has been done so far is enough. Fear and hysteria, not science is driving behavior and belief. Prudent for a worst outcome, like having plans for quarantining large populations maybe Bangkok, places to put people who may be infected but not having symptoms yet, having enough masks and antiseptics, and having enough medical supplies. The army should be involved in the planning.

2 hours ago, RBOP said:

I believe government is not showing the true numbers in order to avoid a panic. I believe they will slowly release numbers to make the curve look smooth like China is doing. In a week it will be too late. 

You're just another paranoid poster.

Why will it be to late in a week,Mr Expert? 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You're just another paranoid poster.

Why will it be to late in a week,Mr Expert? 

I am sure there was no worries in Wuhan at the time, when they had it under control.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RBOP said:

Yes I agree with you. That's the pattern I also see and its been exponential growth since January 25. Maybe they will release new numbers in a day or 2.  

image.png.362c05a1571a165dcc356cc919b94d0e.png

Excellent work.

They only do a few at a time because are using full genome sequencing, which takes time and big machines. They must have about 5 machines available. I wonder why there is a delay getting the faster PCR testing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

I did not participate in this survey as I find the binary choice inadequate.

This survey is simply red meat to get the dogs barking.

When is anyone doing enough in these situations? It is a complex situation containing many components , not all of which are medical , (medical, economic, political) . I am  sure they are doing the best they can balancing all of the above concerns. 

I'm sure you're right. Everything is just ticketyboo. The Thai government is doing a splendid job. All is well.

*snigger*

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, partington said:

Admittedly not all labs have real time PCR machines, but again it's hard to imagine a lab capable of whole genome RNA virus sequencing that doesn't have one of these.

I see you addressed some points in my post in your earlier post. From what I understand, much of Thailand's genome and sequencing effort is addressed to agricultural research, but I don't know any details.

2 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

I'm sure you're right. Everything is just ticketyboo. The Thai government is doing a splendid job. All is well.

*snigger*

I don't know if they are doing a "splendid job" I am not an expert, are you? The experts seem to think that they are doing a pretty good job, I remember seeing a  virus reaction chart by country posted in this forum by Yinn and Thailand was on the top of the list. 

My only point is that they are not lazy, they don't just sit there and say,"ohh we will do something tomorrow"  or stupid.

They are looking at a rapidly evolving situation and are trying to maintain a balance between reacting and overreacting, just like every other country. Put yourself in their situation. what do you do? If you are a good manager I would hope you take all variables into consideration.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Her overview of the amount of people "under investigation". 

Imagine the amount of human ressources and hospital beds required in 3 months from now to handle this.

UI-Thailand.png.fd050d7e30597b289a61f3290dad4deb.png

Upsi!! There we go

IMO not sufficient action to fight the virus.

Why? To contain a virus you have to identify and isolate the ones being infected. That should explain it. Correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by Haecksler
typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Haecksler said:

Upsi!! There we go

IMO not sufficient action to fight the virus.

Why? To combine a virus you have to identify and isolate the ones being infected. That should explain it. Correct me if I am wrong.

I guess you meant combat the virus? Yes, fast diagnostics are a necessity. Thais have none of it.

• Like 2