Coronavirus: Thai tourism ministry admits Chinese tourism now down 80% - losses in the billions

webfact

12 hours ago, legend49 said:

Tough luck. Why is many other countries have closed access by Chinese but the Muppets here ignore the danger just for money. I hope to read tomorrow that the 80% has grown to 100%.

Only 21000 confirmed cases and WHO is urging countries to close their borders .Worried about losses wait till you have 1000000 people trying to get to a hospital abd the cost of that too! 

5 hours ago, Traubert said:

The Russian Foreign Ministry issued a statement this morning strongly refuting that they have any such plans,

So your comment and half of this thread is now looking slightly foolish.

I keep getting told on here that I should only believe the Legacy Media. My info came directly from a national television news report, so I guess I should go back to only believing YouTubers. Who do you believe? Who reported that news about the Russian Foreign Ministry?

Within mainland China, oil demand has dried up by 20 per cent, Bloomberg reported, amid a freeze in travel, while metal prices have plunged on consecutive days since markets reopened on Monday, a sign of expected weak demand in key industrial sectors

Yikes!

Where will Thailand get stuff to sell at the Everything 20 Baht stores?!?!? ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davemos said:

Only 21000 confirmed cases and WHO is urging countries to close their borders .Worried about losses wait till you have 1000000 people trying to get to a hospital abd the cost of that too! 

Where is that info from.  As far as WHO reports go, they are against closing borders.  They even theorise that closing borders can actually cause the virus to spread further.

This from the WHO just a few hours ago:

“We reiterate our call to all countries not to impose restrictions that unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade. Such restrictions can have the effect of increasing fear and stigma, with little public health benefit,” Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Tuesday during a briefing to the UN’s executive board in Geneva. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, raccos21 said:

Most countries out there are cracking their head how to stop this epidemic.But here they’re worrying about tourists percentage. What a pathetic.

Australia has had a bit of a whinge about how many bilions of dollars this has cost (to date) the tourism industry, This coming on the back of the severe bushfires the past 3 months and the tourism industry is pretty much decimated.

15 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Sir after years and years of watching the Thai government coddle and pander to the Chinese and pronouncing them savors of tourism while at the same time coming down hard on those no-good nasty westerners who are treated like they contribute nothing and seem to be barely tolerated.....

I would say a little gloating is in order.....

Quite! And not only that tourism is variable and can't be trusted (present circumstances prove that) but a constant trickle of spending by expats is more trustworthy.????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, miamiman123 said:

Watch the Thai baht drop like a rock now...this virus has decimated the tourist industry AND the capital outflows are beginning....much more to come sadly. 

Last week the baht to dollar was averaging 31.10 to 1. Today it is averaging 30.82 to 1. Is that what you would call "dropping like a rock?" 

1 hour ago, Yadon Toploy said:

Are you trying to argue that Chinese don't get preferencial treatment when visiting Thailand?

The Thai government are telling us that they do.

I haven't had a visa exempt in over 20 years...

Could you point me to any government source which tells us the Chinese are to get preferential treatment? 

Considering how long China denied that the virus existed, I would say that there were many

more people infected by this virus than anyone knows. I wonder how long the WHO knew, before they admitted their information?  It would seem that the way China operates has not changed since SARS.  No wonder they locked Wuhan down when they did.

The fake news stories are shameful, but to deny and arrest the 8 medial staff that were trying to warn the world, was way more shameful

Geezer

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Good riddance, I am appalled how Thais were pussyfooting around their red brethren from the North. Not spending any money, loud crowds of uneducated elbowing unpleasant nerds ........

Financially questionable. Maybe the tourism gurus should do some homework and find out, if it was such a good idea to bash on Farang Alien all the time, scrwe them with visas to no end and not getting rid of all those touts, illegal taxis, legal taxis hitting Grab cabbies, overcharging from early mornings to late evenings and the entire service level going down in line with the price increases they kept on applying. 

On 2/4/2020 at 11:53 AM, Ron jeremy said:

Why are they allowing any Chinese into the country with corona viras being so deadly?

the borders should be closed period.

The World Health Organisation has the diametrically opposite view to yours but who would you let in, no one? 

All these countries have confirmed cases, Belgium, Cambodia, Canada, Hong Kong, Macau, Finland, France Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Nepal, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, South Kore, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Taiwan, UAE, UK, US, Vietnam.   Which ones are ok to be allowed into Thailand by your judgement or is just the Chinese who should be banned?

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The Thai people are in for a world of hurt.

That's 27 worlds of hurt this week.

Time to change the notepad Mike. Copy and paste something new.  Not the handbags and wine again though hey?

Thailand will survive, as it did before, it will again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Considering how long China denied that the virus existed, I would say that there were many

more people infected by this virus than anyone knows. I wonder how long the WHO knew, before they admitted their information?  It would seem that the way China operates has not changed since SARS.  No wonder they locked Wuhan down when they did.

The fake news stories are shameful, but to deny and arrest the 8 medial staff that were trying to warn the world, was way more shameful

Geezer

Well Wuhan has been locked down since 23rd Jan, or put another way 13 days. Tomorrow is the end of the  14 days incubation period which is significant. They never denied it existed, they just couldn't identify it. I think today everyone knows why it's called novel Corona virus. Its unique.

In fairness, that doctors story is on here, possibly up this thread, and they weren't warning the world. One of them was telling his colleagues that it looked a lot like SARS, on a WeChat group. They weren't arrested, he was brought in and signed a letter of censure and went back to work whereafter he became infected.

Don't worry Iron Curtainers, it wasn't on the commie news, it was on Yahoo, which makes it all the more believable eh? They just got it off the commie news and washed it.

Edited by Traubert
Spelling

All our countries are in tune with each other, but China still is segregates a separate entity and xenophobic phobia they are the chosen ones full attitude to all. Beware, this is only the 3rd or 4th stage beginning of the beginning of population decrease. There is no need to have these laboratories in countries in the act of National security. But the USA-Canada- Russia- and Chinses and India all have these stage 4 labs. Scary huh? BTW. I hope I am still here and posting and not banned or eliminated as ...….as this is all true a to the best of my knowledge. 

• Haha 1