Bernard Madoff is dying, seeks early release from prison - lawyer

webfact

Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, the Lockerbie bomber was released early as he was given 3 months to live, he received a hero's welcome on his return home, but survived almost 3 years, doctors can be wrong,  let him stay inside

Prisoners deserve medical care and ironically as a class they probably have better guaranteed access to basic medical care than people on the outside. In the USA there are plenty of people behind bars that shouldn't be behind bars. The incarceration rate is what you would expect in a hard core authoritarian regime. But there are some cases where whether someone deserves to be prison is completely unambiguous. Madoff is such a case. Don't release him. 

Edited by Jingthing

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Bernard Madoff is dying, seeks early release from prison - lawyer

Nah, Do the Crime one has to do the Time . He made Many good hearted people suffer. Now it's His turn  Let him Die in Jail ,,, or maybe better Electric chair ,,,,:jap:

25 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Let him die in prison and keep his corpse locked up for the remainder of his 150 years term. That will send a strong and valuable message to wannabe copycat fraudsters out there.

I could go for that! there's a few folks running around Thailand hiding behind their suits and ties & carefully chosen company names that that should join him, they ruin peoples lives with no regard for anyone but themselves, pure greed!

He was in his 70's when sentenced to 150 years - pretty sure that exceeds the life expectancy on most actuarial tables. It was a "death" sentence at the time and the judge knew that. What's the difference if he just died of natural causes in his sleep or dies of liver disease. He was destined to die in prison - this just hastens the process.

I have met some of his victims and he truly devastated families. He scammed charities, houses of worship, and educational institutions. Madoff had NO morals whatsoever, he should die a lonely death in prison. And if there is a hell, I hope he serves the rest of his 140 year sentence there as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Scott said:

I think that there is a point when many people because of age and medical conditions are no longer a threat to society.   It's probably better to move them out of costly prison care and into less restrictive settings.   If they are no longer a danger to society, there is little need for prison-care.  

I think probation type restrictions should still be in place restricting movement and activities.  

I don't think the victims of his scams would want any leniency towards him...

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Scott said:

I think that there is a point when many people because of age and medical conditions are no longer a threat to society.   It's probably better to move them out of costly prison care and into less restrictive settings.   If they are no longer a danger to society, there is little need for prison-care.  

I think probation type restrictions should still be in place restricting movement and activities.  

Not this guy. Are you kidding? 

12 hours ago, Scott said:

If I were inclined to get worked up over any issue, this wouldn't be it.  I don't know that many of us get to exit this world on our own terms, so either way is fine with me.   I'd just as soon see the least amount of cost to the taxpayers.  

I suspect we are getting a lot of prisoners who have really passed their danger-to-society date and are doing little more than taking up rather expensive space.

But who would be paying for their health care and living expenses? Many are poor or don’t have families and even if they have a middle class family who would pay? To me it sounds like the taxpayers would still be paying for some or all of the criminal needs. How would you even track this?  I just don’t see any sense in your post. Also who decides what someone’s “ danger date “ is?? I mean really 96 year olds can commit murder. Someone in a wheel chair can commit many crimes etc. 

Edited by alex8912

56 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

But who would be paying for their health care and living expenses? Many are poor or don’t have families and even if they have a middle class family who would pay? To me it sounds like the taxpayers would still be paying for some or all of the criminal needs. How would you even track this?  I just don’t see any sense in your post. Also who decides what someone’s “ danger date “ is?? I mean really 96 year olds can commit murder. Someone in a wheel chair can commit many crimes etc. 

As a part of my job many years ago, I did work with prisoners, so I do have a little exposure to this issue.  

People who are suffering terminal illness and have the means and a place to stay should probably be released, provided they are no danger to society.   The decision about how much of  a danger they pose is decided by the probation/parole board, warden and in many cases a judge has to sign off.  

Many of the lifers that I ran into in the prison could never be released, a few were far too mentally unstable and were dangerous, but the majority simply had no one who was interested in taking care of them in their waning years.  

I suspect he will have to live off social security and medicare just like many elderly people.  

I don't think there needs to be a special program.   He asked for release, those involved can decide.  

Best place for a dying man. Prison takes care. Who takes care outside prison?. Family? Selfish <deleted>, foist yourself on the generosity of others. Serve your sentence and die in prison, at the tax payers' pleasure like you were supposed to. A 150 year sentence meant you were never going to be released. Get over it.

9 minutes ago, Scott said:

As a part of my job many years ago, I did work with prisoners, so I do have a little exposure to this issue.  

People who are suffering terminal illness and have the means and a place to stay should probably be released, provided they are no danger to society.   The decision about how much of  a danger they pose is decided by the probation/parole board, warden and in many cases a judge has to sign off.  

Many of the lifers that I ran into in the prison could never be released, a few were far too mentally unstable and were dangerous, but the majority simply had no one who was interested in taking care of them in their waning years.  

I suspect he will have to live off social security and medicare just like many elderly people.  

I don't think there needs to be a special program.   He asked for release, those involved can decide.  

What about society being a danger to these people?  I think Bernie probably has mental issues and severe guilt ( I hope ) but many would want to cause him harm. Many criminals would have people that would want to harm them if released. People don’t forgive or forget after years past. Many get more angry. Anyways. There is a lot more to think about on this topic besides just letting some out. I have probation officers and police in my family and they have different views as well. 

15 hours ago, Scott said:

If I were inclined to get worked up over any issue, this wouldn't be it.  I don't know that many of us get to exit this world on our own terms, so either way is fine with me.   I'd just as soon see the least amount of cost to the taxpayers.  

I suspect we are getting a lot of prisoners who have really passed their danger-to-society date and are doing little more than taking up rather expensive space.

Cool... we can certainly agree on the priorities and lack of outrage regardless of the outcome. ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scott said:

In spite of all that, he needs to agree to dialysis before they decide whether he's terminal or not.  I didn't see that little tidbit mentioned in this article, but it was mentioned in CNN.  He's basically committing a slow suicide in hopes of gaining some sympathy.

And I suspect he's hoping for a kidney transplant once he's out.  He may live another 10 or 20 years.  Probably on assets he has squirreled away out of sight.

Personally, I hope he spends the rest of his life in prison.  And it wouldn't hurt my feelings if his refusal to undergo dialysis were to reduce the cost to taxpayers.  Incarceration for 150 years isn't meant as a rehabilitation exercise.  It's meant as punishment, and to send a message to any future wannabe's.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Allow him access to all the medical care and treatment he wants, but tell him he has to pay up front.  Maybe we will then see how much of the un-recovered money is out there.  I definitely do not want them to spend a dime of the taxpayers money on his health care.  Death does happen and he had his chances to lead a healthy and wealthy or at least modest lifestyle.  But nooooo, he wanted multiple houses, bigger boats, etc.

18 hours ago, Scott said:

as a convicted felon, at least I think he is, if he is released, does he qualify for medicare, social security and all sorts of regular government benefits?  I am assuming he is broke or claiming he is broke.

2 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

as a convicted felon, at least I think he is, if he is released, does he qualify for medicare, social security and all sorts of regular government benefits?  I am assuming he is broke or claiming he is broke.

Of course he is eligible for social security and medicare. Not sure about what any other programs you're talking about. 

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Of course he is eligible for social security and medicare. Not sure about what any other programs you're talking about. 

so who foots his medical bills depends on where he is.  If in prison, his medical costs come out of the prison system budget?  If he is released, he may be on medicare and exactly which Supps and his bills come out of the dept of health and human services budget?  What is his income?   So who should foot the bill for somebody like him?

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Probably Medicaid, food stamps, Section 8 housing benefits. There is some debate as to if or which kinds of felons can collect these benefits.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 6:52 AM, colinneil said:

Steven have a heart, the poor man is dying, show just a little comassion.????

Just like he did for all the thousands of people he conned.

For once i am in full agreement with you.

I reckon this will make a decent final resting place for the Ponzi man. image.jpeg.cc559334f3d649f0ccc8d45b5951bc68.jpeg

• Like 2