Coronavirus: “we have done our best”, says Thai health minister

rooster59

15 minutes ago, spinner2020 said:

Current UK minister of health "worked for his family business, as an economist at the Bank of England, and as Chief of Staff to the Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer." Is that idiot any better qualified than this idiot?

he has experts that advise him and he generally listens, experts in the WHO give advice and guidance to Governments - is Thailand listening ?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

My comment was'nt having a pop at you by the way .... I know it allowed me free thinking away from any government or education that I recieved

I know,I often take the p!ss out of myself it's part of my "harden the Phuchk up" regime.Looks like my "I'm a country member" comment went noticed!Did somebody shout duck? Sometimes my humour is somewhat obscure,or should that be non existent.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm still confused by the statement "we've done our best".

But all reported numbers, he is doing better than the best.

This is the kind of statement you make when you know you school report card coming out next week is going to be bad, or your sales numbers are about to come out and they sucked or you when know you could have done better...

...so what's new is about to be revealed?

• Like 1

You again? But haven't you already done enough damage with your mouth that shoots only dims?
Go back to your den to do nothing like you used to, it's better for you and your country!
What have you done? Given some useless masks to people and attacked "Farangs" why didn't they recognize you and take your nonsense seriously?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, saengd said:

Agreed, the key words being "everyone" and "a little bit".

But this is kinda like the motorcycle helmet issue , that risk to life that the government has been trying to crack now for at least twenty years and still isn't there yet. Fact is that people fundamentally don't care, no fear is their motto which all too often translates into no sense either! So upping the fear index is not that productive, sure it may spur  some percentage to act but overall I see it as harmful and the evidence for that is the nonsense of astronomical death rates being pushed in these threads, the ones that are scaring otherwise rational people and doing more harm than good.

All I know is, I saw more people (as a percentage) wearing masks when I was out and about in BKK today than I think I've ever seen before....  If that's a function of fear, I'm OK with that!

23 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

...unless the posts were deleted.

So you are hypothesising the all people on messenger, line, whatsapp, that are trying to tell their friends and family in other regions of Thailand about those "infected" and dying from coronavirus are being "deleted'. 

But no one else knows about this because the Thai government is monitoring all 90 million cell phone subscribers and deleting any messages or social media posts concerning coronavirus? 

I don't understand how the government can shut down doctors and hospital workers or citizens from getting the word out.  Just word of mouth would have spread the information by now. 

Maybe the government has a secret jail where all those who know about coronavirus illnesses are being kept? 

How deep does this conspiracy go?

Am writing a movie about it now, so please inform me

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, smedly said:

absolutely 100% spot on

They think it is bad now 

If they don't start taking this situation seriously it may take a very long time to recover and restore confidence 

News coming from China is very grave indeed - they ignored and silenced the Doctor (who has since died of the virus) who gave them an very early heads up in December  and a chance to halt this in its tracks, by covering it up and lying to the public we now see the results

First thing Thailand needs to do is be honest with the public - the only way to stop this is with public cooperation - it is not about face masks - it is about shutting down affected areas and containing the outbreak if necessary - China has isolated huge parts of the country and shut down public transport and told people to stay indoors - Hongkong has closed its borders 

Hong Kong now imposing restrictions,

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51419015

7 hours ago, Beggar said:

I really start to feel pity with the government. There seems to be a lot of criticism here in this forum. So what would you do? You have two challenges - the health of the people and the health of the economy. What would be your approach? 

It's surely got to be the health of the people. What was needed, rapidly, was for the government to immediately halt tourism from China and from East Asia generally. Too late now I fear.

1 minute ago, Thingamabob said:

It's surely got to be the health of the people. What was needed, rapidly, was for the government to immediately halt tourism from China and from East Asia generally. Too late now I fear.

When did the Thai government/elitist ever think of the people ?

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

Dont worry folks Prayut says everything 100% under control.

Anutin is just as dopey as Prayut, ranting on about farangs, whilst not wearing his ineffective mask.

How crazy is it when a man who has no medical experience is appointed minister of health.

He must have handed over an exceptionally large envelope to get the job.

Prayut seems to have gone very very quiet at the moment. I wonder why

• Like 1

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

After yesterdays performance, I don't think there can be many foreigners who will respect anything that comes out of the health ministers mouth. I note that when being interviewed he wasn't wearing a mask, not even one of the crappy ones he was trying to force people to wear yesterday.

Maybe between the hissy fit and an interview real health professionals advised him this masks were useless????

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Try to move beyond the kindergarten and join the grown ups.

I'm fine as I am. My phlosophy has worked well for me for the last 65 years. Actually, the philosophy my father taught me was, "If someone bashes you, bash them back twice as hard". More sound advice.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, smedly said:

First thing Thailand needs to do is be honest with the public - the only way to stop this is with public cooperation - it is not about face masks - it is about shutting down affected areas and containing the outbreak if necessary - China has isolated huge parts of the country and shut down public transport and told people to stay indoors - Hongkong has closed its borders 

If this takes hold in Thailand as it has in Wuhan then god help Thailand. They will never shut down anything as that would spell the death-nell to the world of visitors, and Thai officials will never ever EVER admit they got it wrong!

I thought tourism was only 10% or less of Thai GDP.

Why is the government non stop talking about tourism?

Why are they endangering the entire country by encouraging more Chinese to visit?

As I've tried to explain to the Thaier than Thai expats in these forum for years, tourism including sex tourism probably makes up around 30% or more of Thai GDP.

But the Thais can't admit it

9 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

I thought tourism was only 10% or less of Thai GDP.

Why is the government non stop talking about tourism?

Why are they endangering the entire country by encouraging more Chinese to visit?

As I've tried to explain to the Thaier than Thai expats in these forum for years, tourism including sex tourism probably makes up around 30% or more of Thai GDP.

But the Thais can't admit it

Sex tourism is the biggest attraction in Thailand where else in the world can an old git link up with a 20 year old ?

• Thanks 1