Not much of an apology: Health minister Anutin unrepentant after face mask tirade against "farang"

rooster59

8 hours ago, outsider said:

What disease control measures? 555 :coffee1:

quoting with scisors like you did is

1) very bad habit! 2) difficult or impossible to understand for other member! 

14 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

disease control measures of Thailand

No Tchooptip never said that! ????

Tchooptip was reporting the answers he saws on  the Face book page of the health minister where among many phrases written by the health minister was " I don't feel guilty while showing emotions and using words with that "Foreigner" who does not honor Thai people and sees Thailand's disease control measures are disgusting"

He should stop the Chinese  from coming like USA,Russia,England,etcetc.If the virus spreads in Thailand and thousands become infected it will be partly his fault  and not one Westerner who didn't want a mask.Thailand is too dependent on China for almost everything especially money.I think after his rude outburst more Westerners will decide to give Thailand a miss.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 30la said:

It seems that bullying has taken control in the current government!

You don't think it had before? For many many years? The whole country is run on fear and intimidation. Real and imagined. Why the education system the way it is here

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

Personally I think he's a clown, one of the dishonest kind. A convicted drug trafficker and a known user of fake academic qualifications.

Very confusing, so confusing you got him mixed up with another clown (Thammanat Prompao) :coffee1:

I do know Thais,Chinese have a different outlook as far as 'free gifts' are concerned,losing face if refused,and as a 'guest' I do my best to conform to Thai ways,always did from day one,but,I was always brought up with 'never accept gifts from strangers',and it looks like he's giving out uncovered free useless masks with his uncovered hands,no wonder 'Farangs' gave them a miss.

On 2/8/2020 at 10:00 AM, BestB said:

He should be fired immediately for 2 reasons 

1. being a health minister, he should at least know this mask protects from nothing 

2. telling tourists to get out because they do not want to wear useless mask At the time of tourist crisis is beyond retarded

Sounds like PM material...

On 2/8/2020 at 11:03 AM, NanLaew said:

No, he doesn't read TV.

Are you sure? The English version and info about diagnosis backlog from MoPH disappeared rather quickly after people here started analyzing the figures and found out Thailand is ill equipped to handle large number of cases. It is after all the largest English language forum about Thailand and nearly always among the first hits in Google.

19 hours ago, Thian said:

In that case they should also cover ALL FOOD on ALL markets...if one contaminated person sneezes over it the party will start.

Also they should bring loads of people in a small place together, in Impact Muang Thong are still fairs organised every day.

In restaurants we still don't get a serving spoon when eating in a group.

Thailand does nothing to prevent themselves from the virus...handing out a few mouthmasks is far from enough.

It's not really Thailand's duty to hand out facemasks or any sort of masks. If you want to wear one then buy some yourself or insist that the Chinese government provide them.

If we are really serious about mask wearing then we should all purchase military grade gas masks and rubber gloves and wear them when we're out and about because they are the only measures that are effective. There are reports that these cotton masks are all but useless when it comes to this virus.

To be fair to Anutin he's only doing something that everyone hopes may help to  contain the disease. It's more of a gesture than anything else. But it's gesture that reveals a lot about what the Thais' opinion of us falangs really is and explains why many of them want us out.

It's yet more writing on the wall and it's time expats started looking for buyers for their houses up in the boondocks and their condos in places like Pattaya, Bangkok and Phuket. That's if they're not already in some Thai woman's name.

• Like 1

>Foreigners should not look down on Thais, he said. He said that he has lots of nice foreign friends. 

>But any racist foreigner is not his friend, he intimated.

So kindly saying I don't want a mask makes you a racist. There was no mention of "Ai Thai" by the foreigner however the minister said "Ai Farang", in other words "<deleted> farang".

Who is the real racist here ?  We all know.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, globalspark said:

Lets me honest about this subject. The main attention  for Thai officals are Chinese and Indian tourist. The farang can please  himself for the time been. we brought it on out self the way we have been conducting ourselves for  many years. Now not everybody fits the same hat but i think in the eyes of the authorities that is the case.

On my many visits to Thailand farangs disagree with me well some when I tell them they are not wanted any longer. Most are there on  a pension which is barely enough to buy food and pay rent.Yep the Chinese  spend even less money   as the tours are paid for in China  but the numbers look good.

Frankly not much going for the  place so like myself start elsewhere to go and spend your money.

Mr Anutin is a perfect example of why us falangs should always observe the old axiom of 'Rent don't Buy' when in Thailand. 

We can then just pack up and leave without having to worry about selling property, cars, motor bikes, bidding farewell to women and obtaining visas and dodgy health insurance etc.

In fact Mr Anutin has actually done some of us a favour if he did but know it. He's gone to the flea market and laid out his wares for all to see.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

People "around here" are not government ministers in positions of authority.

And I'll tell you who cares: the world. Story is on Yahoo now.
https://news.yahoo.com/thai-minister-says-kick-western-tourists-not-wearing-082104926.html

A lot of folk might agree with him.

Especially when you consider the disease has already claimed hundreds of lives. And bear in mind the masks are intended for the protection of the general public not just the individual who wears it.

• Sad 1

On 2/7/2020 at 9:00 PM, BestB said:

He should be fired immediately for 2 reasons 

1. being a health minister, he should at least know this mask protects from nothing 

2. telling tourists to get out because they do not want to wear useless mask At the time of tourist crisis is beyond retarded

This guy is an ignorant dude. 

After living in Thailand for over 6 years, I can honestly say that most Thais are friendly.  However, in Bangkok, the Hisos and government workers seem to be very racist.  I avoid Bangkok like the plague. (No pun intended)

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 10:00 AM, nev said:

I didn't even click on that link, and I'm sure you're right.  That stupid farang surely knew it too.  I would have brushed off this jackass too.  Pretty pathetic when the average tourist knows more than th Minister of Health or whatever his glorious title is.  
I had a motorcycle accident in Bangkok and went to a very reputable.  I thought my back was broken.  I already broke it twice and thats what it felt like.  After sitting around and going from queue to queue they finally xrayed me and the doctor said I had a serious fracture of the clavicle (collar bone).  Yeah, I knew that hours earlier, but I was worried about my vertebra.  He showed me the xrays.  I ended up pointing at the screen showing him that the spine looked normal, but there were two broken ribs in the front and three in the back.  This was an orthopedist at a major hospital.  And I had to diagnose myself upon looking at the xray for 10 seconds.  And yes, I was right, he didn't argue and didn't apologize.  I have absolutely no medical education or experience. This clown is an orthopedist. 
Another time I hurt my back, pulled a muscle or whatever.  God knows what happened.  They gave me meds and sent me home.  Googled it before I took any.  It was anti-seziure medication for epileptics. I dont have seizures or epilepsy at all, ever.

• Like 2

Racism in Thailand

Racism in Thailand is a prevalent but little discussed topic. The United Nations does not define "racism"; however, it does define "racial discrimination": According to the 1965 UN International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, "...the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin that has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life."