Not much of an apology: Health minister Anutin unrepentant after face mask tirade against "farang"

rooster59

4 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

You'll have to wait in line with his superiors. I hear ther's already a bullet with his name on it.

I was referring to an earlier post on another thread where I called dibs on submitting him in the annual 'Most Brain-Dead Thailand Public Official' contest.  I think my chances of winning just went from good to excellent.  The year is still young, however...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mickyr55 said:

So the country and its officials blunder blindly forward. 

I would have hoped that the foreigner had accepted the offer of a mask in a polite manner. His refusal to do so has caused a lot of trouble. If you don't like the way things are done here just leave and don't come back.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

My opinion is exactly the same as morrobay, don't like getting a bit of your own back. I continuously read the sarcastic, rude and veiled racist comments from some contributors to stories on this page, but when the shoe is on the other foot, OMG, the world is coming to an end!! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I expected Prayut and Newin to force him into public prostration mode, but maybe they're hoping it will all go away. Or he gets to go on the next Wuhan airlift.

This isn't much worse than having a cabinet minister fending off accusations of a heroin conviction and dodgy academic credentials.

Farang think too mut.

But but but...

Surely no self-respecting government would appoint anyone to a ministerial position if they have a heroine conviction r a fake degree certificate. Surely not... What would that say about such a government. And what would be next? nepotism involving a brother? dodgy watches?

Wow. What kind of a country would tolerate such a government? Worse even than Boris with all his outright lies...

Edited by ParkerN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Beggar said:

They are expensive and very uncomfortable. But the government told us that we can get masks at the Blue Shops. No idea what shops these are and where you can find them. But now the WHO tells us that we should not use masks if we are not sick. I think I will start to ignore this virus. It is simply to complicated. 

Welcome to the sane majority...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Haven't read most of this thread, so this may be a repeat....

...but is this the farang hating government official that is the cause of "Thai only health insurance" that is causing so much trouble for farangs being denied one-year extensions even tho' they have far superior farang health insurance......?

Really? So is the dutch healtcare insurance not valid for the Thai non-oa visa?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

He should apologise for being a health minister who knows nothing about health.

I give him 2 days and he will be removed from office and probably end up in some massage parlour.

Inactive duties in a massage parlour???? :cheesy:

Unless he was handing out N95 masks it a waste of time though it probably makes some Thais feel safer and makes him look like he's doing something. I wish a farang there had explained to him in front of the media why the masks he was handing out are useless in protecting against airborne contageone. 

Edited by 1duckyboy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AJS150654 said:

My opinion is exactly the same as morrobay, don't like getting a bit of your own back. I continuously read the sarcastic, rude and veiled racist comments from some contributors to stories on this page, but when the shoe is on the other foot, OMG, the world is coming to an end!! 

I don't think that any of us are goverment ministers who have shown our xenophobic hatred to the gathered media which was then broadcast around the world. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 2

He's copping a fair bit of flak on his Facebook page from the locals e.g.

• Art Plerksophon He may see the nail <deleted> on his hand and don't want to take it.

PS. Give a hygienic mask to other people. You should wear gloves and touch it just on the strap. Otherwise, the hygienic mask will not be hygienic ^^

https://www.facebook.com/AnutinC/photos/a.2095908953777308/3109745735726953/?type=3&theater

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sambum said:

"The same probably applies to the army." They ARE Army without the uniforms! And the same applies to the police! A friend of my Thai wife has a son who wanted to join the police. She was told "Oh, it costs a lot of money to join the police"!

Of course it does. You are buying a franchise, much the same as a 7/11, Taco Bell, etc., but without the hassle or expense of a storefront.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

A single foreigner refused, which he took as justification to slag off every single farang here? And he won't apologise? There are many things I could say about his suitability for office and overall intelligence, but as a moderator, I shall refrain from the worst of it and simply say, unacceptable.

And that forgeiner who refused probably doesn’t even live here. Coronavirus isn’t a big deal back at home yet so wouldn’t be surprised.

If I saw someone handing out stuff I might have refused too thinking it’s spam advertisement or something.

Edited by Drax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, sambum said:

I remember a (little Oud) comment of a couple of weeks back as if it were yesterday:-

"Be nice to the tourists, we need their money"

Is it possible someone had a "conversation" with him already? I tend to think so. He sure changed his attitude. Nothing like the threat of dismissal to make a man behave more reasonably and rationally.

36 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

Racist

Who do you think increased public  hospital prices for expats and retirees Back in September (dual pricing based in nationality)? I’m not gonna point names but I think we know. 

Edited by Drax
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, morrobay said:

Who cares what they say. Its a two way street. Look at all the negative/ condescending comments about Thais by foreigners around here.

It is indeed true, but folks here are for all intents and purposes irrelevant, and he is an elected and high ranking government in charge of narional policy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, morrobay said:

Who cares what they say. Its a two way street. Look at all the negative/ condescending comments about Thais by foreigners around here.

its hilarious. To WHO should he apologize? To all the farang of TV who constantly trash Thailand and Thai people in the most  cynical and unfair way? 

I bet this Thai official singles out the noble Farang in his tirade (and doesnt mention eg Chinese ppl)  bc he has too many experiences with extreme rude and arrogant farangs.

Anyway, its his country, he doesnt have to bow his head to farang, or "apologize", if he wants to do a good scolding, let him.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

I would have hoped that the foreigner had accepted the offer...

But as he did not, he may have avoided an infection refusing to touch a useless gadget handed out through a mentally challenged looking an grinning stranger withc a chin mask.

Or the tourist was scared being pickpocketed with the other hand while the first would hand out  the mask.

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1