UK plans to introduce border controls on EU goods after post-Brexit transition

webfact

20 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Wow, it went as high as 8.8 per cent of GDP? I stand corrected ????

All manageable,goes up,goes down   so wot?      Just as long as ireland are just about to enter s.hit street  and stay permanently in it

Figures can be pulled from the net and made into however paddy wants to view it,..so wot?   The UK is about to head up a head of steam once the damned negotiations are over, pity about ireland tho,deep ,going on deeper in the do-do

Face it tho, here (probably) in Thailand ,teeching absolute minimum wage,for you  ,more that bogside,and talking in billions,something ludicrous about this chat You know nothing,earn nothing,all likened to  fur coat and no knickers  lol

Edited by izod10

9 hours ago, david555 said:

Yeah...why not  just change the world orders at your wishes ????....anyway no problem for us E.U. as it is your trade option by wish and probably nesessity ????

The world orders?

9 hours ago, TheDark said:

I wonder which international court England will place her complaints of unfair trade practices?

If it's not to English courts, newly acquired sovereignty is already lost? 

Read it again.

2 hours ago, Logosone said:

She added:

I am proud of the UK that explores the new frontiers of the 21st century

I guess what Liz Truss is referring to here is the UK exploring the ultimate frontier of how much debt a country can take on.  With household, financial, and business debts standing at 420% of GDP in the 21st century the UK certainly is a pioneer in the exploration of the debt frontier.

<snip>

This is a matter of interest not contention. I recognise that UK debt is embarrassingly high, and our balance of payments deficit makes it worse every year. However I could not find the 420% figure. I did find this for external debt in 2016.

UNITED STATES

$17,910,000,000,000

UNITED KINGDOM

$8,126,000,000,000

FRANCE

$5,360,000,000,000

GERMANY

$5,326,000,000,000

I suppose, since our GDP is around 2 trillion, then the debt is 4 times that, or 400+%.

I am not involved in finance, does this look right?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

That's a bit rich Nauseus, we are supposed to be accommodating to posters whose first language is not English. Try again, I found it easy to understand.

I'm impressed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nigel Garvie said:

That's a bit rich Nauseus, we are supposed to be accommodating to posters whose first language is not English. Try again, I found it easy to understand.

As you always manage to whenever anything 'accidentally' singles out the ???????????????????????????? ????

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, evadgib said:

As you always manage to whenever anything 'accidentally' singles out the ???????????????????????????? ????

I think you may be confusing the people (As indicated by the flag) with the language which is spoken in many countries. It was the language that I was talking about.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

This is a matter of interest not contention. I recognise that UK debt is embarrassingly high, and our balance of payments deficit makes it worse every year. However I could not find the 420% figure.

It is here:

In 2011, household, financial, and business debts stood at 420% of GDP in the UK.[ As the world's most indebted country, spending and investment were held back after the recession, creating economic malaise

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_United_Kingdom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

(A small reshuffle in the making maybe …? ) It is not put on the long run ..... ,you see what happens  when you make trouble with the real ones who run a country …..the high civil servants ….???? just like in "Minister …. minister....." 

Rajeev Syal

Tue 3 Mar 2020 20.40 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/03/top-civil-servant-begins-legal-case-against-priti-patel-and-home-office

Top civil servant begins legal case against Priti Patel and Home Office. Home secretary may have to give evidence under oath if case comes to tribunal

Sir Philip Rutnam, the senior civil servant who resigned on Saturday claiming he was bullied and forced from office, has begun legal action against the government over his treatment by Priti Patel, his union has told the Guardian.
Legal documents name the home secretary, the Home Office and the Cabinet Office as respondents, the FDA said. It would mean that Patel will be expected to give evidence under oath if the case comes to tribunal.

The development comes as the home secretary has expressed her regret at the decision of the top civil servant at the Home Office to quit and urged staff in the department to come together as “one team”.

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, izod10 said:

All manageable,goes up,goes down   so wot?    

Ah, a Stieglitzian. See, contrary to what some like Stieglitz espouse the trade deficit does matter.

A trade deficit subtracts from the demand in the domestic economy. Spending that could have employed people who need jobs in the UK is spent on employing people in Germany, France etc if the UK has a trade deficit with those countries.

What effect does all this have on UK workers? Trade deficits, even in times of strong growth, have negative, concentrated impacts on the quantity and quality of jobs in parts of the country where manufacturing employment diminishes. Even the economists who argue (incorrectly, I believe) that the trade deficit doesn’t affect the total number of jobs do admit that it affects the composition of jobs.

One oft-cited academic study found that imbalanced trade with China led to the loss of more than 2 million U.S. jobs between 1991 and 2011, about half of which were in manufacturing.

Further, the economist Josh Bivens found that in 2011 the cost of imbalanced trade with low-wage countries cost workers without college degrees 5.5 percent of their annual earnings.

Why do you think Donald Trump is so worried about the US trade deficit?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, vogie said:

Do you think that the left wing press are having a field day with the 'allegations' that a senior member of the government is accused of bullying, and certain members on this forum are doing the same. For the life in me I cannot remember a hooha when John Bercow was allegedly accused of bullying, infact Jeremy Corbyn reconmended him a position in the House of Lords.

What a strange one sided world we live in.????

"What a strange one sided world we live in.????"

I can only agree with that last line …..and even seen from a different perspective ????....

PS : HOC is not fun anymore to watch ...  , and even boring without JB....????

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You simply cannot accept that we voted for Brexit and are content with the way things are going and we would all vote Brexit again, if given the chance .

You are just trying to convince yourself (of what you posted above)

I have not heard of a Brexiteer changing his mind and wanting to remain, although I have known a few ex remainers who are now pleased we left 

So what we have now is exactly what you voted for?

Why?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Logosone said:

It is here:

In 2011, household, financial, and business debts stood at 420% of GDP in the UK.[ As the world's most indebted country, spending and investment were held back after the recession, creating economic malaise

Again,so what? picking points as a way of demonstrating child like mentality of jealous tantrums, means nothing,all manageable. If read (yawn) it establishes the UK is in a very favourable position world wide,and now Brixit about to be unleashed eu panic stricken

Think you should concentrate on "No abode in UK" once the settlement terms are thrashed out, as for ireland..laughable,take care of the new migrant arrivals  lol

3 hours ago, Logosone said:

It is here:

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/government-debt-to-gdp

Has the UK down as 27 th most indebted Country in the World

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheDark said:

I think, as Brexit has now committed and we are in transition period, everybody have now accepted that Brexiteers won. Regardless how irresponsible decision it was.

Brexit is brexit and the hard brexit is about to come within few months or at the end of the year. There is no doubt about that. 

That's why the leading brexiteers should now show some leadership and be honest with their audience, what are they really wishing to go and what practical benefits that means for the 17.4 million people who voted to support their cause. 

So far the only outcome of this mess is no-deal brexit. Brexit leaders should be honest and say that no-deal brexit is their final coal. That would give ordinary people, small businesses, larger businesses, financial institutions, foreign companies operating in UK a bit of transition time to react what is meant to be. 

Is asking Brexit leaders to be honest and offer open communication to the public really so big thing to ask? After all, they are now the elected leaders of the country.

Expecting such communication simply because you own a FB or Twitter a/c is common in the era of social media. Thankfully HMG aren't stupid enough to declare their hand until the cut off date has passed. The people that need the information will have it in due course.

29 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Expecting such communication simply because you own a FB or Twitter a/c is common in the era of social media. Thankfully HMG aren't stupid enough to declare their hand until the cut off date has passed. The people that need the information will have it in due course.

What kind of democracy is that? Let the well fed government MP's be surrounded by secrecy and keep the rest of the people, including businesses in the dark?

"We know what is best for our subjects. Simply follow our orders. When we are ready to release our aims and details of our aims."

I guess sovereignty never meant to give power to the people, but to those Eton fellows, who know and are entitled to rule the peasants. 

Brexit 1 - Peasant freedom 0

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, sanemax said:

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/government-debt-to-gdp

Has the UK down as 27 th most indebted Country in the World

Because that link only refers to "government" dead you genius.

The statement you quoted clearly reads: 

In 2011, household, financial, and business debts stood at 420% of GDP in the UK. As the world's most indebted country, spending and investment were held back after the recession, creating economic malaise. 

The author of the article on the UK economy in Wiki looks at total debt, your link does not. 

I hope you've understood the difference now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1