Sleepy Thailand: Video shows just what "lap nai" or "microsleep" looks like

webfact

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Everyone seem to be latching on this term micro-sleep. But they've got it wrong. A micro-sleep is a short sharp loss of attention which precedes sleep. They only last a second or 2 and you nod back into wakefulness, usually with a bit of a shock.

They should never be ignored when driving and the driver should get off the road to rest as quickly as possible.

Try Googling microsleep as the translator did. You might learn something. 

I did. 

Rooster

• Like 2

Oh look:

"A micro-sleep (MS) is a temporary episode of sleep or drowsiness which may last for a fraction of a second or up to 30 seconds where an individual fails to respond to some arbitrary sensory input and becomes unconscious". [

"People who experience microsleeps often remain unaware of them, instead believing themselves to have been awake the whole time, or to have temporarily lost focus."[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsleep

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saengd said:

Duh...for the same reason that people like me would post what I did earlier, to inform people of the risk and make them aware, gedit now!

No need for the stupid language from people like you.

Do you really think that a dashcam video on the telly will stop them falling asleep at the wheel?

And how do you know they had a good night's sleep before that 90/120 minute drive? Where does it say what time they left? 

4 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Driving while tired is not a new thing or a condition. It is just stupid people being negligent.

My brother would do it with eyes open.... the sod would look like he was awake, then you suddenly realise nothings happening when a car slows in front or he changes lane, sitting as a passenger for a year before I could take my test took years off my life.

4 hours ago, saengd said:

I don't agree. I can recall a few years ago driving on an empty M5 in Devon and seeing a solitary vehicle way ahead, there was nobody else on the road and it was the first vehicle I'd seen in perhaps five minutes. The next thing I remember is braking really hard as I bore down on the back of that vehicle, it was as though 30 seconds of my life was simply erased. I mentioned it my GP  later who blamed it on micro-sleep and said it was not uncommon when traffic conditions are very quiet. Scary, thankfully nothing since.

Not quite the same. On quiet roads boredom can set in and then a feeling of sleep. When roads are full of traffic there is the impetus to keep you vigilant. I am speaking, of course, from a 'farang' point of view.

7 minutes ago, stouricks said:

No need for the stupid language from people like you.

Do you really think that a dashcam video on the telly will stop them falling asleep at the wheel?

And how do you know they had a good night's sleep before that 90/120 minute drive? Where does it say what time they left? 

Go read post 26 again and try to keep up.

1 minute ago, saengd said:

Go read post 26 again and try to keep up.

I just re-read YOUR post 26, where YOU say it was at 10.30 after 90/120 minutes, even that's a bit vague. I never saw anywhere else saying the time of the accident, or maybe I cannot 'keep up' with you due to my micro-sleeping. 

• Confused 1

Was nearly killed sat morning by dvr coming in other direction on a dual carriageway luckily for us he hit a lamp post which steered hin back into the reservation, lots damage to our car caused by concrete and stones kicked up by the impact.

Was first told he had a micro sleep but subsequently found he was drunk, 11:30 am.

5 hours ago, saengd said:

I don't agree. I can recall a few years ago driving on an empty M5 in Devon and seeing a solitary vehicle way ahead, there was nobody else on the road and it was the first vehicle I'd seen in perhaps five minutes. The next thing I remember is braking really hard as I bore down on the back of that vehicle, it was as though 30 seconds of my life was simply erased. I mentioned it my GP  later who blamed it on micro-sleep and said it was not uncommon when traffic conditions are very quiet. Scary, thankfully nothing since.

I’ve had a similar thing happen to myself. Middle of the day, feeling fine and feeling wide awake - but obviously I wasn’t for whatever reason. I stopped and got myself a 10 min nap which is all I needed. Educating people of the early warning signs of being tired while driving and that it can happen at any time to anyone is good.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, saengd said:

Once again, as post 36 says: "non-sleep deprived individuals can also experience MSs during monotonous tasks".

And we're done here bickering Stour, out. 

And what is the frequency of this happening in non sleep deprived people. Because it is becoming an epidemic in Thailand lately.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, saengd said:

I dont drive much now but years ago I used to drive for a job and drive the same daily routes every week. I often used to experience something similar which was quite worrying when you stop to think about it. When driving from A to B, (not on motorways or dual-carriageways) I would sometimes find myself arriving at B with no recollection of the journey in between. It was nothing to do with tiredness or falling asleep but my body must have been driving on automatic pilot while my attention became pre-occupied and absorbed in thinking about something else. I did read something about this and how the brain delegates physical tasks it has learned and which are then used habitually; like riding a bike or driving a car, to a separate part of the brain, allowing our conscious attention to focus on other things. I like to think that if required, on those journeys my conscious attention would have returned to driving, and maybe sometimes it did as I never had an accident while driving for a job.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

I dont drive much now but years ago I used to drive for a job and drive the same daily routes every week. I often used to experience something similar which was quite worrying when you stop to think about it. When driving from A to B, (not on motorways or dual-carriageways) I would sometimes find myself arriving at B with no recollection of the journey in between. It was nothing to do with tiredness or falling asleep but my body must have been driving on automatic pilot while my attention became pre-occupied and absorbed in thinking about something else. I did read something about this and how the brain delegates physical tasks it has learned and which are then used habitually; like riding a bike or driving a car, to a separate part of the brain, allowing our conscious attention to focus on other things. I like to think that if required, on those journeys my conscious attention would have returned to driving, and maybe sometimes it did as I never had an accident while driving for a job.

That is exactly the situation, thank you.

26 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

And what is the frequency of this happening in non sleep deprived people. Because it is becoming an epidemic in Thailand lately.

I think you're confusing micro sleep with poor spacial awareness, poor driving skills, appalling reaction times etc etc etc.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Wiggy said:

So how does it happen in Thailand? Most roads I'm on seem to be mental ????

So they are . the only Quiet time I ever seen is way out west and in NT in Australia when driving at night and don't see  an other vehicle for  a few hundred K and many K of dead straight roads. ????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Black arab said:

Was nearly killed sat morning by dvr coming in other direction on a dual carriageway luckily for us he hit a lamp post which steered hin back into the reservation, lots damage to our car caused by concrete and stones kicked up by the impact.

Was first told he had a micro sleep but subsequently found he was drunk, 11:30 am.

Pleased that you are safe. Car beyond repair or will it just take a long time?

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

A phenomenon knows as unconcious competence. Like you are on autopilot. Not unsafe as such.

4 levels:

Unconcious incompetence

Conscious incompetence

Conscious competence

Unconcious competence.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I have made have been very boring.

Blimey!  You can't have been driving near Pattaya then.  Here they have no police force only stick-up merchants so anything goes: speeding/running red lights/ driving drunk/crazy mad idiotic selfish thoughtless driving.  Without 100% concentration I would have accidents five times a week.

1 hour ago, mikebell said:
20 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I have made have been very boring.

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Blimey!  You can't have been driving near Pattaya then.  Here they have no police force only stick-up merchants so anything goes: speeding/running red lights/ driving drunk/crazy mad idiotic selfish thoughtless driving.  Without 100% concentration I would have accidents five times a week.

Yes, yes, yes. I've read it all before! And as I said in the full post 'it depends on where you're driving'. I've never been near Pattaya and have no intentions of ever doing so.