U.S. DOJ to seek lighter prison term for Trump adviser Stone - reports

webfact

U.S. DOJ to seek lighter prison term for Trump adviser Stone - reports

By Mark Hosenball and Sarah N. Lynch

2020-02-11T190943Z_1_LYNXMPEG1A1PP_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-RUSSIA-STONE.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Roger Stone, former campaign adviser to U.S. President Donald Trump, arrives for the continuation of his criminal trial on charges of lying to Congress, obstructing justice and witness tampering at U.S. District Court in Washington, U.S., November 15, 2019. REUTERS/Yara Nard

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Department of Justice will seek a shorter prison sentence for Roger Stone, a convicted associate of President Donald Trump, hours after Trump tweeted that prosecutors were treating him unfairly, media outlets reported on Tuesday.

Trump called out prosecutors involved in the case after they proposed a sentence of 7 to 9 years for Stone, a longtime political adviser and self-proclaimed "dirty trickster," who was convicted of charges stemming from an investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

"This is a horrible and very unfair situation. The real crimes were on the other side, as nothing happens to them. Cannot allow this miscarriage of justice!" Trump tweeted early on Tuesday morning.

U.S. prosecutors, in a court filing on Monday, said their proposed sentence fell within guidelines and would "accurately reflect the seriousness of his crimes and promote respect for the law."

Stone faces a Feb. 20 sentencing after a jury found him guilty of seven counts of lying to Congress, obstruction and witness tampering.

Fox News, citing an unnamed senior Justice Department official, said the decision to scale back the requested sentence was made before Trump's tweet and that top department officials had been shocked by prosecutors' recommendation.

The Washington Post, NBC and Bloomberg also reported the move to seek a lighter sentence, although it was not immediately clear when any such filing would be made in the case being handled by U.S. District Court Judge Amy Berman Jackson.

"We look forward to reviewing the government’s supplemental filing," Stone's lawyer, Grant Smith, said in an email to Reuters.

Representatives for the Justice Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the media reports.

Stone is one of several Trump associates charged with crimes as part of U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller's Russia probe, which Trump has long decried as a "witch hunt."

Legal experts said it would be unusual for prosecutors to reduce their sentencing recommendations in a case like this one.

"You don’t want to be changing minds mid-stream. The office doesn’t look good in that regard," said Channing Phillips, a former U.S. Attorney under Democratic President Barack Obama.

David Weinstein, a former federal prosecutor, said the government sometimes reduces its proposed sentence for cooperative defendants, but not for defiant ones like Stone. However, he said he thought the proposed sentence "seems a little heavy handed."

Last July, the Justice Department switched course on efforts to add a controversial citizenship question to the 2020 U.S. Census after Trump tweeted he would push hard to allow it even after the Supreme Court rejected it. The Justice Department had initially accepted the court ruling.

(additional reporting by Nathan Layne and Susan Heavey; Editing by Andy Sullivan and Bernadette Baum)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-02-12
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

A trump appointee just took over top job in that district. That action probably had more to do with decision on lowering proposed sentencing request than any Trump tweet. Trump tweets to get rah rah from base while his hacks chop integrity to pieces in background

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Have you explained to her how the whole process stinks, just like the investigation into Hilary did before, with Bill meeting the AG for a little chat in the security of an airport runway?

And that there are no good people in politics and how the left liberals seek to manipulate the law to their advantage? How investigating people to find or construct a crime is now seemingly the main focus of one political party?

Why would he lie to his daughter. He isnt a repub.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Why would he lie to his daughter. He isnt a repub.

Why do you think they're lies? Are you saying the much reported Clinton AG meeting never happened?

Do you believe all the Democrat <deleted>?

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Have you explained to her how the whole process stinks, just like the investigation into Hilary did before, with Bill meeting the AG for a little chat in the security of an airport runway?

And that there are no good people in politics and how the left liberals seek to manipulate the law to their advantage? How investigating people to find or construct a crime is now seemingly the main focus of one political party?

Yes, but I just explained it with: Hey, you know the old stories about Al Capone and Bugsy as well as all other gangsters? They are called the traditional mafia. Today it´s a totally different ball game. Now everybody knows that the Clintons are the modern and most strong version of a powerful mafia.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Even my 7 year old daughter have already asked me why so many persons around and associated with Mr. Trump gets prosecuted and receive jail terms, and he still walks free and untouched?

59 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I know the feeling. My kid asks me how government folks can take disinformation from Russia to use against American citizens, falsify Court applications for warrants, leak classified information and lie to Congress and yet still be walking around free. Its a hard question to answer, isnt it.

Such gifted kids ????

16 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Such gifted kids ????

I guess that´s up to how you raise them. Looking at you ignorant answer and the laugh after, just show you do not have a clue about that. My guess is that it goes back in generation from your childhood too. I am sorry to hear that. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

I know what its like to be 7 years old...stop channeling your own bias through a fictitious conversation

with a 7 year old kid.

I am sure you know. The question is how much you knew at that age. If same like it looks now, not so very much. ????

Oh, by the way. She´s getting eight in April. Does that make a difference? Oh, nevermind! I can clearly read that I am asking the wrong person by looking at the name of your handle. ????????

Edited by Matzzon
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1