Help with moving

YorkshireLad88

2 hours ago, YorkshireLad88 said:
3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

If you're only 31, why not look at getting a job in Thailand (Or anywhere) & building up your nest egg

How would i get a job in thailand i aint got a trade all i know is how to kill people 

is ReEnlisting out of the question? Your prorata armed forces pension needs more boosting...

and it's a job for which you don't need to re-learn, the killing thing

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It depends on what you want in Chiang Mai, I don't know anything about Pattaya. If women are your main criterion, obviously Pattaya.

You can rent a studio apartment with communal swimming pool in Chiang Mai for 200 - 300 GBP per month. Even cheaper in Chiang Rai, 150 - 200 GBP/month. The range of bar girls decreases accordingly.

Thanks for the reply is chiang rai near chaing mai? Whats the nightlife like is it dead? Ive being pattaya before it was ok but find it quite sleezy looking for something more laid back but as a night life 

3 hours ago, YorkshireLad88 said:

Thanks for the reply is chiang rai near chaing mai? Whats the nightlife like is it dead? Ive being pattaya before it was ok but find it quite sleezy looking for something more laid back but as a night life 

3 hours or so by car. 

I much prefer Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai. Cleaner, better air. I go quite often for coaching and Muay Thai. 

The nightlife is pretty young, they have monster sized night clubs there but the majority of the people were my age or younger, I'm 32. Less foreigners in CR as CM is a big pocket of them. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Nakmuay887 said:

they have monster sized night clubs

The safest and also the quickest way to become deaf is to go to a night club in Thailand.

To return to the gentleman's questions;
at 31, I would try to work a little more; let's say 30 more years. :jap:
eg leaving for Canada where there is a glaring shortage of manual workers with the bonus of substantial wages.
For an English it will be very easy to emigrate there and with this interesting salary come to have fun in Thailand from time to time.

I am 71 years old, I worked 40 years as an international driver in Europe; well if i had known, i would have stayed 10 more years doing this exciting job, although i have absolutely no regrets about my first 14 years in Thailand.

I have 1200 euros per month to live here with my wife and 1 disabled adult child; when you live in the countryside and without any debt life is pleasant but without making any madness; I don't smoke and I don't drink alcohol.
With 717 pounds per month, do not dream, you will have here, at 31 years old and all your desires as a young man, a miserable life.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nakmuay887 said:

3 hours or so by car. 

I much prefer Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai. Cleaner, better air. I go quite often for coaching and Muay Thai. 

The nightlife is pretty young, they have monster sized night clubs there but the majority of the people were my age or younger, I'm 32. Less foreigners in CR as CM is a big pocket of them. 

Yes CM traffic is bad and the city isnt good anyway. Chiang Rai, Phayao much nicer. If one gets bored fly to Bangkok for a few nights.

15 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

To return to the gentleman's questions;
at 31, I would try to work a little more; let's say 30 more years. :jap:
eg leaving for Canada where there is a glaring shortage of manual workers with the bonus of substantial wages.
For an English it will be very easy to emigrate there and with this interesting salary come to have fun in Thailand from time to time.

Most soldiers with a medical pension can't work because their injuries won't allow it.

That's why they are given a pension at such a young age.

You think someone shot in the spine can do a manual job?

Edited by BritManToo

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Most soldiers with a medical pension can't work because their injuries won't allow it.

but where is it written that 'OP' left due to any Injury and/or has a Medical pension? 

The UK Services:  a member can simply leave it, after a minumum 2 years service

- and get his/her 'army' pension.

I searched twice for something about a Spine injury?? 

1 minute ago, tifino said:

but where is it written that 'OP' left due to any Injury and/or has a Medical pension? 

The UK Services:  a member can simply leave it, after a minumum 2 years service

- and get his/her 'army' pension.

I searched twice for something about a Spine injury?? 

2 years service gets you entitlement to a military pension payable at state retirement age.

To get anything age 31, you would need to be on disability.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

But then why is their government not giving them 100% of the pay they had at the time of the accident, plus their premiums of course?

It is only in Europe, UK included, that military or civil sickness pensions  are given far too easily.
I personally know two people who live pleasantly, one full time in Thailand and the other who walks six in the year minus 1 or 2 day(s) so as not to lose his European advantages.
They are as handicapped as me, that is to say that they have in reality no handicap.

So much the better for them and too bad for the French Social Security which pays these two profiteers of the system.

In France, a cut finger when you work in the civil, you will have with luck a pension of 5%; in the army it will quickly go up to 50 or even 75%.
So much the better for them but that they stop taking us for imbeciles.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Short answer: No!

You might survive but you cannot live on it. 

Not true.He can get good life with this money.Easy to find nice and cheap studio 3-4000 BHT range.For food is enough 5000-6000 BHT per month if he can eat Thai food.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

As far as I'm concerned, if you can squeeze money out of your government, falsely or truthfully, good luck to you.

Doesn't the UK also; send out their private investigators (and recruit neighbours) to character assess/spy on Veterans Affairs recipients/applicants?

also maybe someone can do a  reverse engineered calcualtion on:

- what 717gbp/months relates to?

wrt Rank at time of Discharge/Years in Service/Salary up to date of Discharge?

- what levels of Medical Disability pension are provided by the Veteran Dept?

- do they Pension as a % a specific Member's Service?

- do they pension as a formulated % of the National bench of The Basic Wage of the average UK citizen?

You could do Vietnam or Cambodia, at least you can find beers from 7-16 baht each in both countries too. Visa would be easiest in Cambodia too.
Would not go to Thailand with this money nowadays, perhaps only once established in Cambodia, for 2 days holiday or something like that.

You could find a cheap room and still eat street food style cheap too in Thailand with that budget easily
but anything else will cause money shortages (visa, beers at bars, girls etc etc etc).

A simple visa trip to Vietnam for example easily sets you back 10,000 baht already, just to get a new tourist visa that is only valid 2 months.
In Cambodia you would get a 1 year visa for the same money.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

7 minutes ago, tifino said:

Doesn't the UK also; send out their private investigators (and recruit neighbours) to character assess/spy on Veterans Affairs recipients/applicants?

also maybe someone can do a  reverse engineered calcualtion on:

- what 717gbp/months relates to?

wrt Rank at time of Discharge/Years in Service/Salary up to date of Discharge?

- what levels of Medical Disability pension are provided by the Veteran Dept?

- do they Pension as a % a specific Member's Service?

- do they pension as a formulated % of the National bench of The Basic Wage of the average UK citizen?

I never understand envy like this.

It's nothing to do with you, why are you so concerned?

Your life will be better if you stop wishing harm on others.

And my life will be better with you on ignore.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, vukovar77 said:

717 GBP per month is enough to live in Thailand,for sure.

If you stopped making him believe what is not possible when you are 31 years old.
It is possible when you are retired and living very simply;
and preferably away from the flicker of nightlife;
but not at 31!
When I came here on vacation when the euro exceeded 50 baht, I spent 3 times more in just 15 days.
barfins were generally at 300 baht, the ST at 500 baht and the LT at 1000 baht;
now these rates have exploded.
The euro or the English pound melted like butter compared to the baht; What are you going to do with 717 pounds?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

The euro or the English pound melted like butter compared to the baht; What are you going to do with 717 pounds?

Assuming one does have a yearly visa, cheap room and a motorbike that is paid for: they can just drive around everywhere, see things that are free like waterfalls, eat local food and some western food, have limited beers at cheaper bars or at home and get laid every 10 days.

With no additional back-up funds it would still be very very tricky business though + one needs to be very disciplined with the budget. 
Same time a much better life than being stuck in a small house in England, with no money to do anything aside of groceries....

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Did you check out places in europe? 

Not sure what happens after brexit, but at least now you can do what you want...

Bulgaria/georgia black sea coast in the summer, tenerife in the winter maybe?

You safe a lot of money within europe, flights are cheap, beer is cheap and visa won't cost you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

It is possible when you are retired and living very simply;
and preferably away from the flicker of nightlife;
but not at 31!

720 pounds is 29,000bht/month.

That's 3x the wage of a Thai shop worker.

I've known loads of foreign guys living here on 20k/month quite happily.

Although VISAs were always a bit of a problem, I'd have gone to the Philippines on that sort of money though.

I live here on 10k/month + housing, it's my Thai family pushing up the costs to 40k/month.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

720 pounds is 29,000bht/month.

That's 3x the wage of a Thai shop worker.

I've known loads of foreign guys living here on 20k/month quite happily.

Although VISAs were always a bit of a problem.

For me it always goes south with the budget when I decide to drive to town from sansai,
planning to only buy 2 55B beers and get some food ends up in a rage of 5K baht LOL. Thai baht is so easy to spend, feels like it is nothing.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

9 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Good god the thought of retiring here age 31 is a bit sad. I assume it's just the pull of the weather and pussy, both get very tiresome after a few years, especially the pussy.

Totally missed that point, think it is everything but sad, it is amazing if one can retire with nearly 1K usd at such a young age. 
Agree that the weather and pussy becomes boring yet the good weather is still better than cold, grey + rain. 

Budget of 30K on that age while being single and not having to work is asking for even more trouble than I mentioned.
Red flags basically, he will get visa issues for sure too.

Edited by ChaiyaTH