KETO DIET ultimate thread - Keto diet in Thailand, what do you eat, what did you learn ?

rech

I'm certailny not an athlete like yourself, but back in April/May, I realised I was doing many hours of exercise per week(swimming laps, walking and dragon boat training) but wasn't loosing any weight.

After seeing some ken Berry stuff, I decided to immediately cut out all the carbs, and went on to 16:8 diet, and the weight started to go down. 6 months later, I'm still losing weight, my blood glucose is 4.9(was 6.5 , so classified as "pre-diabetic")and I'm excercising much less. 

It's the best thing I've ever done for my health.

My main disappointment is the difficulty in finding a Thai, or Australian doctor to guide me. Most I've tried back in Australia still wanted to give advice about calorie control, or low fat diet, or a balanced diet...all this stuff that's just rubbish!!

Sure, plenty of info online/youtube about Keto and fasting, but it would be reassuring to be able to have a doctor to monitor my blood results and give some knowledgeable advice.

Have you found a doctor with the right strategy?

Thanks for your insight

3 hours ago, crowned said:

I'm certailny not an athlete like yourself, but back in April/May, I realised I was doing many hours of exercise per week(swimming laps, walking and dragon boat training) but wasn't loosing any weight.

After seeing some ken Berry stuff, I decided to immediately cut out all the carbs, and went on to 16:8 diet, and the weight started to go down. 6 months later, I'm still losing weight, my blood glucose is 4.9(was 6.5 , so classified as "pre-diabetic")and I'm excercising much less. 

It's the best thing I've ever done for my health.

My main disappointment is the difficulty in finding a Thai, or Australian doctor to guide me. Most I've tried back in Australia still wanted to give advice about calorie control, or low fat diet, or a balanced diet...all this stuff that's just rubbish!!

Sure, plenty of info online/youtube about Keto and fasting, but it would be reassuring to be able to have a doctor to monitor my blood results and give some knowledgeable advice.

Have you found a doctor with the right strategy?

Thanks for your insight

More and more people are starting to look at carb restriction, as opposed to calorie restriction as a way to restoring good metabolic health, and healthy weight control.  It's a shame that doctors are so resistant or simply ignorant of science-based metabolic mechanisms.  Unfortunately, I think you just have to be your own doctor these days when it comes to healthy nutrition, and you need to research for factual truth from legitimate science-based sources (like Dr. Berry). 

Another good source I highly recommend is Dr. Westman ( very smart MD when it comes to Low Carb).  I just watched an interview by Dr. Berry with Dr. Westman and it was quite impressive.  You can view it if you like at:  

https://youtu.be/17-2avsRsiI

Nonetheless, I agree with you that having a licensed physician "in the loop" to assure that your blood panels are what they should be is an important thing.  Really any competent doctor should be able to suggest and interpret blood tests that are indicative of metabolic health.  Here in Thailand, it's remarkably easy and economical to do.  The primary blood test related to metabolic health is called a Comprehensive metabolic panel (CMP).  It tells:

• How your kidneys and liver are working
  • Your blood sugar levels
  • Your electrolyte levels
  • How much protein is in your blood 
  • The balance of acid and base in your blood
  • How your metabolism is working
  • In addition, I also have Hemoglobin A1c tested, and a Lipid Profile.  Your doctor may add other tests depending on results of in-office examination.

In Thailand, you don't need a prescription to get blood tests; you just go to a good private blood lab.  I do this twice a year normally and have several other panels run as well.  If I am biohacking, I'll have panels run before and after.  Results are actually very easy to interpret by a lay person since each test includes a "normal" reference range like this:

snapshot_ 2020-12-23 at 10.43.25 AM.jpg

Now I'm not advocating that YOU do what I do since I am not a licenced health care professional, but after initial consult with an MD to interpret my tests, and seeing that all were within normal references ranges, I now interpret test results myself and would only notify my MD if tests results changed to be outside "normal" ranges or had changed significantly since last test.  Note that I also have a general medical check up twice a year. 

Since I just moved to Pattaya from Chiang Mai, I have not yet found a new MD down here so I can't suggest one BUT what I'll probably do is just go to the local hospital and ask for a consult with a physician that is very fluent in English and then justy see if he/she seems to be a good fit.

BTW,  the cost for this blood testing at a private lab is very inexpensive here in Thailand.  Just to give you an idea of costs, my last tests were done for my "before" biohacking benchmark:

1.   Testosterone  500 baht  

2.   Estradiol (E2)  400 baht

3.   CBC (includes hematocrit) 100 baht

4.   Blood sugar (FBS)  60 baht

5.   HbA1c (blood sugar) 300 baht

6.   CREATININE (kidney) 80 baht

7.    BUN (kidneys)  80 baht

8.    Lipid Profiles (Cholesterol, HDL, LDL Triglyceride) 360 baht

9.    Liver Function Test (LFT) 400 baht

10.  PSA (prostate screening)  500 baht

12.  Costisol 600 baht

13.  AST 60 baht

So, you can see, prices here in Thailand are quite inexpensive and you do not need a prescription for testing like you do in the USA, where these same tests costs about TEN TIMES as much!

Hope this helps ????

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 7:06 AM, cooked said:

By the way: does anyone know of a Facebook (or similar) web source of information about Keto IN THAI?

My wife's grasp of English when it comes to medical terminology is quite vague and just explaining the idea of 'carb' is difficult. 

Thanks.

ThaiKeto Friends private group on Facebook 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

In Thailand, you don't need a prescription to get blood tests; you just

Hope this helps ????

Well, I've been studying and recording my own blood test results for many years, so, I'll take your advice and just get a private lab to do the tests , especially if I'm not sure about finding a local doctor for any great guidance.

Wonderful details. As I'm newly relocated in Thailand, it's all new, especially when my Thai partner isn't much into preventative health care, although she is coming around to the idea of cutting back on rice and skipping breakfast. 

Haven't convinced her to let me test her blood glucose and ketones yet.

Good luck with your journey. If our planned relocation to Rayong comes off, we might catch up one day

On 12/23/2020 at 9:39 PM, crowned said:

Blood testing here in Thailand is such a bargain compared to the US.  When I get a comprehensive annual check up, the total cost for blood tests here in Thailand is around 1000 THB.  In the US (where my insurance covered it) I was shocked to see the total cost was around 1,300 USD!  OMG!!!  Health care providers in the US are absolute crooks!  They know insurance companies will just pay their inflated prices.  The sad truth however is that those that can not afford to have adequate medical insurance are basically scr*wed!

I am SO impressed with health care in Thailand.  The United Nation actually ranks Thailand as one of the best countries in the world for health care.

As far as finding a doctor, I seriously suggest a visit to your local hospital.  Simply walk in and request to see a doctor who is very fluent in English (if that's your native language) and ask that he /she be well versed metabolic science.  Of course, Reception may not know what the hell you're talking about, but then again...it doesn't hurt. 

I did that one time when I was temporarily staying in Pattaya a couple of years ago, and met with an amazing doctor who was very knowledgeable and most importantly, a keen listener, and very open-minded.  Unfortunately,  she has moved on, so I'll have to start over in my search.  Just a suggestion for you ... ????

In Australia most of the blood testing is covered by the government, but wage earners all pay an annual levy towards health care, and many (who can afford it) have their own private insurance.

Patients generally need a doctor's referral for the testing.

Much easier here to be able to order my own for a reasonable price.

Again, thanks for your insight and experience

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, crowned said:

In Australia most of the blood testing is covered by the government, but wage earners all pay an annual levy towards health care, and many (who can afford it) have their own private insurance.

Patients generally need a doctor's referral for the testing.

Much easier here to be able to order my own for a reasonable price.

Again, thanks for your insight and experience

My pleasure, BTW, Merry Christmas Xmas.jpeg.5f1a56959e6efb5ddaaf3b8c41c63b3e.jpeg  

10 minutes ago, Nout said:

I followed a Keto diet for about a month to 6 week. Lost nearly 10 Ks but returned to normal diet and IF. The body needs carbs.

Each to their own but I disagree.  Carbs are actually not essential to good metabolic health.  Now they may be essential to some people for psychological reasons, but in strict nutritional terms, your body really does not need them at all.  The body is capable of manufacturing all the glucose it needs without nutritional carbs.  Research the term gluconeogenesis.  Sufficient fat and protein are the only essential macronutrients necessary for optimal metabolic health.

Shifting your metabolism over to efficiently use fats for fuel instead of carbs can take some people a while to accomplish.  For some, 4-6 weeks may not be long enough. 

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

I eat healthy food full of vitamins, minerals, protein, fats and carbs, in normal servings. A little bit from all food groups.

Combined with regular daily exercise it is much better than when I was Keto.

Which, let's face it, is nonsense. 

Each to his or her own buddy but to broadly refer to carb restriction as nonsense is kind of ignorant of current and well vetted scientific research into obesity and metabolic related diseases,

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Each to their own but I disagree.  Carbs are actually not essential to good metabolic health.  Now they may be essential to some people for psychological reasons, but in strict nutritional terms, your body really does not need them at all.  The body is capable of manufacturing all the glucose it needs without nutritional carbs.  Research the term gluconeogenesis.  Sufficient fat and protein are the only essential macronutrients necessary for optimal metabolic health.

Shifting your metabolism over to efficiently use fats for fuel instead of carbs can take some people a while to accomplish.  For some, 4-6 weeks may not be long enough. 

Thanks for your response. I think I lost nearly 10 kilos combing IF with a keto diet but given my age my Dr said to be a bit wary of the fatty keto diet so I switched to a more modest version of it. I am a fan of IF which I also find useful. There are carbs and there are carbs. Not all are beer n bread. Some hail from vegetables such as cauliflower and broccoli. I thought Keto diets sought to reduce carbs not eliminate them entirely.

my experience (6 months low carb and IF16:8) has been terrific for me. I hate the idea of preaching about diet, but all I can do is give my own experience, which has been steady weight loss with little exercise, and my blood sugars have gone from the "pre-diabetic" back down to the "normal" range. Good luck to you both on your path to better health.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nout said:

Thanks for your response. I think I lost nearly 10 kilos combing IF with a keto diet but given my age my Dr said to be a bit wary of the fatty keto diet so I switched to a more modest version of it. I am a fan of IF which I also find useful. There are carbs and there are carbs. Not all are beer n bread. Some hail from vegetables such as cauliflower and broccoli. I thought Keto diets sought to reduce carbs not eliminate them entirely.

I don't think anyone has stated that Keto= Zero carbs. ALL CARBS transform themselves into glucose eventually, the ones that don't, so called fibre, add little enhancement to the taste or pleasure of food. Excess glucose will lead to build up of visceral fat and inflammation of the arteries and other organs.

I'm 72 and cycle between occasional 24 hour fasts, strict Keto + IF, low carb + IF and targeted Keto, which I am almost ashamed to admit, all gets scheduled around my running races and long run days. Another Half Marathon coming up in January, not my first, and plenty of proof in that pudding.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cooked said:

I don't think anyone has stated that Keto= Zero carbs. ALL CARBS transform themselves into glucose eventually, the ones that don't, so called fibre, add little enhancement to the taste or pleasure of food. Excess glucose will lead to build up of visceral fat and inflammation of the arteries and other organs.

I'm 72 and cycle between occasional 24 hour fasts, strict Keto + IF, low carb + IF and targeted Keto, which I am almost ashamed to admit, all gets scheduled around my running races and long run days. Another Half Marathon coming up in January, not my first, and plenty of proof in that pudding.

Wow. Fantastic from my perspective at 66. Best of luck with your half marathon. 

Another low carb / intermittent fasting success story. Great to hear your thoughts

2 hours ago, crowned said:

my experience (6 months low carb and IF16:8) has been terrific for me. I hate the idea of preaching about diet, but all I can do is give my own experience, which has been steady weight loss with little exercise, and my blood sugars have gone from the "pre-diabetic" back down to the "normal" range. Good luck to you both on your path to better health.

I agree it's not always a good idea to get all "preachy" about this stuff but sometimes when you find something that really works for you and there is sound scientific basis for it, and there is such a prevailing misunderstanding what constitutes "proper" nutrition, it's kind of hard to keep it to yourself...so sometimes, for better or worse, I tend to get on a soapbox. ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

I agree it's not always a good idea to get all "preachy" about this stuff but sometimes when you find something that really works for you and there is sound scientific basis for it, and there is such a prevailing misunderstanding what constitutes "proper" nutrition, it's kind of hard to keep it to yourself...so sometimes, for better or worse, I tend to get on a soapbox. ????

Yes, very easy to do when it's been such a great plan for me

2 hours ago, cooked said:

I think you have a good strategy.  As far as carb restriction goes, I think nothing is really etched in stone.  You have to do what works specifically for you.  As long as your carb restriction is maintaining healthy (low) insulin levels without significant spikes, you're good-to-go. 

Controlling insulin levels is really the key.  Cutting carbs sufficiently to prevent high insulin levels and spikes is what will prevent and even reverse metabolic syndromes such as obesity, and even diabetes type 2 , both of which have reached true epidemic proportions in the last few decades, principally due to processed and junk type foods.  The population as a whole today basically eats food from the moment they get up in the morning until the moment they go to bed at night, and as a result, their bodies are pumping massive amounts of insulin throughout their body non-stop, 24/7.  It's only a matter of time until insulin receptors become desensitized, and once that happen, obesity, and eventually diabetes are going to be the inevitable result.

So, it only makes sense in light of the strong scientific evidence that carbs are the culprit, that carbs should be controlled...not so much calories, but carbs.

More and more athletes (irregardless of age) are exploring "keto", and it seems to work even for athletes who formerly thought that carb-loading was an absolutely essential part of peak performance.  Good for you, and good that you share your experiences for others to consider ????

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Nout said:

The real purpose of Keto is simply to re-train your body to efficiently utilize fats as a primary fuel.  It's commonly referred to as "fat adaptation" or becoming keto-adapted.  Once the body is keto-adapted, it will naturally favor fats (both stored and dietary) as a fule source much more efficiently than before, and that is the real goal.  Once that occurs, you don;t really needs to count carb grams in your diet.  You will just feel it.  Becoming keto-adapted can take only a few weeks for some people, and much longer for others.  There is nothing etched in stone, but once yo achieve it you will know it ????

Everybody is different as far as how many carbs they should consume.  For some, like me, anything above about 50 grams makes me feel not so good.  For others, they can eat more, and for some (i.e.: true Carnivores), they eat less.  Whatever works for you is the key.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

I'm very passionate about "keto" as you can probably see in many of my posts.  There is a strong scientific basis for this, and it's actually very easy to understand.

Most people associate the term "keto" with dieting for weight loss, which is not the right way to look at Keto.  Worse, many people think that "keto" is nothing more than just another fad diet, which is incredibly wrong.

Today there is an epidemic of metabolic disorders such as obesity and Diabetes type 2.  There are many other metabolic disorders associated with what we eat and how we eat.  There is now strong scientific evidence that even devastating neurological diseases such as Alzheimers' and Parkinsons' have a nutritional basis.

Almost any metabolic disorder has "inflammation" as a basis for the disorder. In simplistic terms, it's how the body reacts to things it doesn't like, and there is strong scientific evidence that for most people over time, the body can not tolerate excessive carbohydrates and will react with inflammatory responses.  Google the term "metabolic syndrome" to understand this.

There's an old saying, "Let food be thy medicine, and let medicine be thy food.”  Keto is simply a way to counter the inflammatory effects of excessive carbohydrates.  It is an easy and effective way to actually reverse inflammation that results in obesity and other metabolic disorders in a very effective and also a very quick way!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I'm very passionate about "keto" as you can probably see in many of my posts.  There is a strong scientific basis for this, and it's actually very easy to understand.

Most people associate the term "keto" with dieting for weight loss, which is not the right way to look at Keto.  Worse, many people think that "keto" is nothing more than just another fad diet, which is incredibly wrong.

Today there is an epidemic of metabolic disorders such as obesity and Diabetes type 2.  There are many other metabolic disorders associated with what we eat and how we eat.  There is now strong scientific evidence that even devastating neurological diseases such as Alzheimers' and Parkinsons' have a nutritional basis.

Almost any metabolic disorder has "inflammation" as a basis for the disorder. In simplistic terms, it's how the body reacts to things it doesn't like, and there is strong scientific evidence that for most people over time, the body can not tolerate excessive carbohydrates and will react with inflammatory responses.  Google the term "metabolic syndrome" to understand this.

There's an old saying, "Let food be thy medicine, and let medicine be thy food.”  Keto is simply a way to counter the inflammatory effects of excessive carbohydrates.  It is an easy and effective way to actually reverse inflammation that results in obesity and other metabolic disorders in a very effective and also a very quick way!

Well said, not that many will listen. 

I observe a few Keto forums from time to time and as you say they are mainly about people struggling to lose weight, and not about getting healthy so that weight goes down by itself. Mention exercise to maintain health and you get attacked. I'm afraid Keto is regarded in much the same light as 'taking a pill' for weight loss is by many. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cooked said:

Well said, not that many will listen. 

I observe a few Keto forums from time to time and as you say they are mainly about people struggling to lose weight, and not about getting healthy so that weight goes down by itself. Mention exercise to maintain health and you get attacked. I'm afraid Keto is regarded in much the same light as 'taking a pill' for weight loss is by many. 

I agree!  It's just human nature to look for a quick & easy fix to a problem instead of addressing the underlying cause.  Striving to lose weight through caloric-restriction without fixing the underlying cause of obesity is like putting a band-aid on an infected wound. 

Unlike caloric-restriction diets, carbohydrate restriction does address the underlying cause of obesity in most overweight people.  Unlike caloric restriction diets, carb restriction is based on sound and objectively proven science.  What's more, it works remarkably fast at restoring metabolic health which is what's really important.  The loss of excess body fat is simply a secondary bonus.  What's important to appreciate is that keeping excessive carbs in check is a lifestyle type of thing, not a short term "diet".

It's not hard at all to make this long-term lifestyle decision.  Restricting carbs doesn't make you feel deprived at all once you've allowed your body to acclimate to it.  For some it only takes a few weeks, for others perhaps longer, but the long term health benefits make it a very smart decision, and one that will put an end to the concept of "dieting" and calorie counting forever.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

Just to add to my last post, caloric-restriction diets have been around in one form or another for over one hundred years, and literally every day a new one emerges as the latest fad diet from some looney health guru on YouTube.  Some of them may provide short-term results but there has not been one of them that has stood the test of time.

If such dieting strategies were really effective, there would not be a present day epidemic of obesity and type-2 diabetes!  That alone should make any rational person seriously question their effectiveness and wonder if there might be a better way to achieve good metabolic health (and thereby solve your weight issues).  Just think about it.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

google dr david sinclair, lots of youtube, he research in what age is and how to stop it,

he argues that conditions that promote growth, such as protein,

works against cell repair, (grow & reproduce mode)

and on the flip side discomfort such as hunger/freezing/sweating

activate cells repair mode (protect and repair mode)

Edited by scammed

49 minutes ago, scammed said:

google dr david sinclair, lots of youtube, he research in what age is and how to stop it,

he argues that conditions that promote growth, such as protein,

works against cell repair, (grow & reproduce mode)

and on the flip side discomfort such as hunger/freezing/sweating

activate cells repair mode (protect and repair mode)

I like Dr. Sinclair; he is a very smart man, very passionate about,  and effective in sharing his views about aging, and an excellent scientist.  Much of what he has to say about aging is certainly science-based and quite believable.  One issue that's a little troubling however is that he has significant vested financial interests in numerous companies that are marketing products based on his research in animal models but not yet proven in humans.  That doesn't diminish the validity or importance of his scientific research but it does raise questions about his motives in being so prolific in the media.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 1:37 PM, Bohemianfish said:

I just cut out the bread and noodles and rice most of the time. Also do intermittent fasting eating once a day. It helps a lot. Dr. Sten Ekberg on YT has a lot of useful videos on the topic. Try South Beach Diet, Dukan, Adkins. They are all generally the same. Veggies (above ground - not starchy roots). and meat, fat in particular. 

Just found  Dr. Sten Ekberg on Youtube today. Very impressive.  Love the details.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 7:54 PM, kevjoh said:

Guys, I have been following a Keto diet for over a year and I had done Adkins in the past.

Probably one of the biggest challenges is getting bored with the limitations of what to eat. Eggs, bacon, cheese and steak are great, but that stuff gets old.

I think a lot of people fail to understand what the real goal of "keto" is.  Cutting carbs is a mean to a far bigger goal, not the goal itself.

What Keto is all about is changing the way your metabolism works.  The real goal is to RESTORE your body's ability to efficiently use fats (both dietary fats and stored body fat) as an efficient fuel source, as opposed to it using primarily carbs.  It's referred to as "keto adaptation".

Keto shouldn't be thought of as a long-term diet or a lifestyle change.  It is a short-term way to restore your metabolism to the way it is supposed to work.

The typical diet for many people today has become far too rich in carbohydrates, especially those from highly processed food products.  What's more, many people consume food from the moment they wake up until the moment the go to bed.  The result of this is such a high level of insulin release, that the body completely loses the ability to access stored body fat, and is in an almost total "fat storage mode".

The long-range implications of this is not just obesity, but for many people, far more serious health conditions such as Diabetes type-2 and a whole range of other serious metabolic syndromes.

Keto is an extremely efficient means to reversing this.  That's all Keto really is.  Seriously reducing carbohydrates, and limited food intake to meal-times only (or even eliminating some mealtimes (i.e.: One meal per day or Two Meals Per Day) will quickly return insulin levels to normal levels and allow the body's fat burning machinery to work properly again...the way it was meant to to work.

Once this occurs, your body will be far more efficient at utilizing stored body fat and dietary fats as a fuel source.  It doesn't mean that you have to shun "good / natural" carbs forever except for the period during which your body is converting from using carbs as a primary fuel source.

For some people, this change can occur fairly quickly (i.e.: in a matter of weeks).  For others, it can take longer.  The point is, that once it occurs, you needn't follow any sort of regimented diet, nor do you have to count calories.

Once you have become "keto-adapted" then the goal should simply be to eat a PROPER healthy diet that avoids heavily processed foods in favor of natural foods. 

Maintaining keto-adaptation doesn't require avoiding carbs 24/7.  For most people, avoiding processed foods and between-meal snacking, and perhaps reducing the number of meals per day, or periodically fasting will keep you keto-adapted.

It's really all about simply getting back to a more natural way of eating, the way people ate before the advent of fast foods and heavily processed food products.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2021 at 6:53 AM, Sparktrader said:

Cream, almonds, berries, eggs, water blend. Low carb, fats and the protein and v&m u need.

Apparently, too much protein can spark the insulin. I just focus on fats and veggies. Still eat carbs and protein, but try to minimize. So a fatty chicken thigh should be better than a lean chicken breast.