Customers who bought Chevrolets at full price peeved, demand compensation

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Quote:-

"the company will not compensate customers"

My commiserations to all these customers but if NOBODY buys one of the 4,000 remaining Chevrolet's, even at a discount price, Chevrolet Thailand will be left with a large pile of scrap metal to clear!!! 

Try buying one!

The Captiva is unavailable anywhere that I know of. The wife has been looking for one for her nephew. Last week there were none in Bangkok, Rayong or Surin.

3 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Try buying one!

The Captiva is unavailable anywhere that I know of. The wife has been looking for one for her nephew. Last week there were none in Bangkok, Rayong or Surin.

They woulda been sold to friends and family before the public announcement was made.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

The only thing "American" is the name.

In the USA the American car industry has been dying for years as people move on from the metal dinosaurs that they all used to drive.  People now prefer modern cars that are actually enjoyable to drive, hence the amount of Japanese, German and other far eastern  cars dominating the market.  However all of this is fairly irrelevant as we move towards the age of the electric powered cars of the future.  All of the petrol powered cars will suffer massive falls in value  as people realise they will have no chance of selling them with all the restrictions being put in place.  

I quite recently bought a petrol powered BMW knowing that this would be my last chance to own a "proper" car again.  I am already seeing the re-sale value tumble and I have faced up to the reality that my next car will be either a hybrid, or a full electric powered piece of !!!!.

Like those gas guzzling pieces of American <deleted>, I fear us petrol heads are heading for the same scrapheap!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

In the USA the American car industry has been dying for years as people move on from the metal dinosaurs that they all used to drive.  People now prefer modern cars that are actually enjoyable to drive, hence the amount of Japanese,

Did Toyota ever get the Yaris legal or are they still re-badging Mazda2's ?

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

My father in law has an Isuzu two door, no seat belts in the rear, no it's about 13 years old, at the time no seat belts in the rear were a requirement...perhaps the manufacturers aren't required to have them in the back of two doors, as crazy as it is.

That's because the rear "seats" in 2-door pickups in Thailand are not meant to carry passengers legally.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Zack61 said:

Captiva? In Oz when they were assembled there they were named Craptiva by the production line workers. Not much of an endorsement. 

Really?  Never heard that before but, then, who needs, or would take any notice of, the opinion of production line workers who just throw together whatever lands in front of them?

Edited by Just Weird

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

Did Toyota ever get the Yaris legal or are they still re-badging Mazda2's ?

Where?  I don't know anyway.  In the UK the Yaris sells very well whereas the Mazda 2 doesn't.  Most people opt for the Mazda 3 which is a brilliant car by any standards.  My last car in Thailand (11 years ago) was a Yaris and was a great little runaround.

I still go to the US quite often but only usually to the New York or New England area.  The vast majority of cars there seem to be European or far eastern.

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

Where?  I don't know anyway.  In the UK the Yaris sells very well whereas the Mazda 2 doesn't.  Most people opt for the Mazda 3 which is a brilliant car by any standards.  My last car in Thailand (11 years ago) was a Yaris and was a great little runaround.

I still go to the US quite often but only usually to the New York or New England area.  The vast majority of cars there seem to be European or far eastern.

You was talking bout the USA.

6 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Possibly a few repossession cases coming up. 

Which will be interesting to say the least. 

A 1.1 million baht vehicle drops about 30% as soon as its driven out of the car yard. Dealership. 

So about 760k.

Repo value about 500k.

But GM sells brand new unused cars for 550k.. same models.

Not anymore they don't, they sold out, apparently, and those were very limited numbers.

7 hours ago, Derek B said:

I wonder how the warranty/guarantee will be honoured on heavily discounted vehicles?

GM has already said that all warranties will be honoured...

CHEVROLET CEASES NEW VEHICLE SALES, CONTINUES AFTERSALES AND CUSTOMER SERVICES IN THAILAND

General Motors (GM) will cease new vehicle sales of Chevrolet in the Thailand market by the end of 2020, but our commitment to looking after our customers remains, with Chevrolet continuing to provide ongoing warranty, repair and aftersales services throughout Thailand.

Chevrolet owners can rest assured that we will continue to honor all vehicle warranties and provide service and aftersales support. Customers will continue to be able to get their Chevrolet vehicles serviced and repaired at authorized outlets throughout Thailand.

Please continue to have your vehicle serviced, repaired and maintained at your nearest Chevrolet dealer, as you always have.

We thank all our loyal Chevrolet customers for their business and support over many years, and we look forward to looking after you for many years to come.

The Chevrolet Thailand customer support center is available to answer your questions: our customers can call 1734 or e-mail [email protected].

Edited by Just Weird

Not only cars are ridiculously expensive in Thailand, beer, meat, vegetables, education, etc, etc.

It's about time that people wake up about the way that they are extorted by companies selling products at multiple times the reasonable prices.

Life sucks in Europe, for the price of a Captiva we had to settle for a meager Mercedes Benz ????

A can of Chang beer in Lidl in Europe costs the same as in BigC in Thailand.

CP sells sausages at up to 5 times the price of A-brand sausages in Europe, and they own every step from the pig's food to the 7-Eleven or Makro where they sell them and pay minimum wages in Thailand. They are laughing themselves sick over the profits that they make.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

And usually at a lower price in Oz, particularly the last few years of low exchange rates.

I think you will find that they are on par or just a little over the Thai prices, e.g. I paid 800,000 THB for the 2.2 Ranger XLT which equated to around $39,000 AUS, last time I checked you would pay around $41,000 AUS in Australia for a Ranger XLT.

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Quote:-

"the company will not compensate customers"

My commiserations to all these customers but if NOBODY buys one of the 4,000 remaining Chevrolet's, even at a discount price, Chevrolet Thailand will be left with a large pile of scrap metal to clear!!! 

They sold them all.

9 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Keep in mind that even with that huge discount, Chevy is NOT losing money on this deal !

They are simply willing to take less than they'd make.

This is for sure not true. Profit margins in the car industry are not that high. A lot of car manufacturers make a loss. Some don't make a profit. And others a very small profit. No car manufacturer has a 50% profit margin on their cars.

13 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I think you will find that they are on par or just a little over the Thai prices, e.g. I paid 800,000 THB for the 2.2 Ranger XLT which equated to around $39,000 AUS, last time I checked you would pay around $41,000 AUS in Australia for a Ranger XLT.

The new Ford rangers are pretty sweet....Ya gotta feel sorry for the Mustang buyers here though. 

6 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

This is for sure not true. Profit margins in the car industry are not that high. A lot of car manufacturers make a loss. Some don't make a profit. And others a very small profit. No car manufacturer has a 50% profit margin on their cars.

I have no idea but have a feeling Chevy has done some accounting and it is more cost effective to dump all stock at cheaper price than having to ship it or keep dealer network trying to sell it . It’s not as if they were retaining their presence just closing down factories , they are pulling out completely. Also notice huge price drop was only on 1 model, so safe to assume they had lots of stock . Now all been cleared 

22 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

My Mrs told me about the deal when she heard, said honey, wouldn't buy one of they gave it to me for free.

Don't fret, 4My. I (and the feeble responders) understood the intent. I'll give 'em one as well. Chevy gave me a car and the next day I asked for my money back. Have at it.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Does the Thai model get the same level of equipment as the Aussie model, airbags etc?

1 hour ago, recycler said:

Not only cars are ridiculously expensive in Thailand, beer, meat, vegetables, education, etc, etc.

It's about time that people wake up about the way that they are extorted by companies selling products at multiple times the reasonable prices.

Life sucks in Europe, for the price of a Captiva we had to settle for a meager Mercedes Benz ????

CP sells sausages at up to 5 times the price of A-brand sausages in Europe, and they own every step from the pig's food to the 7-Eleven or Makro where they sell them and pay minimum wages in Thailand. They are laughing themselves sick over the profits that they make.

You could always walk every where and live on a bowl of boiled rice everyday. nobody is forcing you to buy anything.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, recycler said:

Don't forget that bottle of wine that costs A$35 here is A$10 in Australia, and the 3 litre cask that here costs A$50 is A$10 in Oz.

• Like 1