Customers who bought Chevrolets at full price peeved, demand compensation

snoop1130

My initial reaction was the same as others here - tough luck! Upon reflection it could be viewed in the same manner as the stock exchange. If a company knows there is going to be a material change to their product they must call for a trading halt until the proper announcement is made. Just a thought.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Has the vehicle they were happy to pay that price for at the time in any way changed ??

it is not the vehicle that has changed but future service availability and parts... not having company service back-up decreases the re-sale and momentary value... which is why the same models are half price what they were virtually yesterday... 

you might ask if the value of the car has changed and if Chevy is willing to go half price, then obviously it has... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Were they coerced ? Did the sales people and / or the dealership lie to them ?

Hold a gun to their head ?

If all answers a resounding NO ...

Put it down to the continuing cost of your education

exactly this is thailand bought as seen no refund 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Emdog said:

selling off stock at 50% discount will affect later used car sales price "down the road", and resale value is a consideration when buying a car, for some people anyway.

Only if those vehicles make up a considerable amount of market share. And it would also affect all brands.

If Toyota would now start selling all their cars at 50%, it would obviously take down the whole market.

Chevrolet selling a few thousand cars over a month at 50% discount will only have a small effect.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JimmyTheMook said:

Douche move by Chevy but it's a trash brand anyway sold to the ultimately gullible.

Not all models. Some are very good; just consult Consumer Reports, JD Power or Edmunds. It's just that they're mostly unavailable in Asia. For a sedan I'd love to have an Impala.

Edited by Dustdevil
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, biker Bob said:

Did Harley or Triumph owners get a refund when these two companies opened factories in Thailand? No, they did not, so why would Chevy owners get one? 

for an intangible process called goodwill. moral a moral issue. legally of course there is no recourse as the purchases were contractual.

• Like 1

Bad decision. 

Should have bought a Toyota. 

Or a Subaru. 

Subaru's Symmetrical AWD is *the* best available and great for the rainy season.

Unfortunately, General Motors (Chevrolet, Cadillac) is one of the 5 worst quality brands on the American market*

Eclipsed only by "Fix It Again Tony" ????

* Not counting the horrible quality European cars, all of which drop like a rock in value after you buy one of their "luxury" overpriced, complicated, high maintenance nightmares.

Edited by SiSePuede419
  • Like 1

When did they buy these vehicles?  IF a day or a week ago, OK, I get it.  

IF a month ago or longer.....well, then I need to return my:

iphone

1988 Datsun 

computers

motorbike

clothes

shoes

watches

appliances

furniture

girlfriend (lol)

and about everything else....

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, biker Bob said:

Did Harley or Triumph owners get a refund when these two companies opened factories in Thailand? No, they did not, so why would Chevy owners get one? 

Indeed. Street Triple went from 750K to 450-odd. 

Personally I'd say a top of the range Captiva for 700K new is a bargain. I feel for these buyers since they may well have only bought the Captiva in last few months because it was a genuine major upgrade to the model line after years of selling the same tired old cr*p, and only hit showrooms in October last year. Of course it also affects anyone with a Captiva that's less than say 3 years old, because resale prices will now be dictated by the fire sale discount pricing.

1 hour ago, dhind1 said:
11 hours ago, jackdd said:

Last week i bought toilet paper at Big C, this week they are selling it as "buy one get one free" - I want my money back!

I guess their main concern is that the neighbours will think that they bought a car for 500k instead of one million, massive loss of face to buy such a cheap car.

The first line in this post sums everything up nicely. 

Buyer beware. 

There is no case for compensation here.

So you want to claim that you would get compensated if the same happened in your home country?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Farangwithaplan said:

But, I'd be grateful if you could educate me on how to avoid these unique situations in future.

Plan ahead. Read reviews. Find out the facts and figures of the brand you are thinking of buying in the country you will be buying it in.

Compare what you get in Brand X with Brand Y and Z and then start again with A

Educate yourself.

Then go shopping. I was in BKK over a week buying our last car. Got what I wanted, at a price I was willing to pay.

Don't run out of feet - which is what the "Oh Woe is Me" people are doing

Edited by canthai55

21 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

General Motors (Chevrolet, Cadillac) is one of the 5 worst quality brands on the American market*

Eclipsed only by "Fix It Again Tony" ????

* Not counting the horrible quality European cars, all of which drop like a rock in value after you buy their overpriced "luxury" overly complicated, high maintenance nightmares.

I live in America . He’s 100% right with all of that . I personally have a Toyota Tacoma and it’s the best truck I have ever owned . It’s pretty much bulletproof ! I drove the Toyota equivalent truck in Thailand and it felt like a piece of junk . Standards are different the world over .

9 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Plan ahead. Read reviews. Find out the facts and figures of the brand you are thinking of buying in the country you will be buying it in.

Compare what you get in Brand X with Brand Y and Z and then start again with A

Educate yourself.

Then go shopping. I was in BKK over a week buying our last car. Got what I wanted, at a price I was willing to pay.

Don't run out of feet - which is what the "Oh Woe is Me" people are doing

And that taught me nothing on how to know if a global car manufacturer will suddenly decide to leave all right hand drive countries. Which is of course the whole point of the story.

I don't see how your advise will help people who are now paying insurance policies that will not cover the cost of replacement vehicle learn from a multinational pullout.

Edited by Farangwithaplan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

I live in America . He’s 100% right with all of that . I personally have a Toyota Tacoma and it’s the best truck I have ever owned . It’s pretty much bulletproof ! I drove the Toyota equivalent truck in Thailand and it felt like a piece of junk . Standards are different the world over .

Ford Rangers are made here and up until recently they didn't even have seat belts in the rear for the local models. I don't know if they do now. The moldings had the space for the rear sash seat belts but it seems local conditions don't demand it.

I understand their feelings... but... unless Thai law or Chevrolet’s applicable policies in Thailand have some form of “price protection” then I don’t see a credible claim here.

in the same way if the car was sold at X price LAST week,  but then a price HIKE were to come into effect THIS, would the same argument be made for the buyers to pay up to the new price level?

again, I can empathize with their issue - and I do agree that there was a very very quick devaluation of their vehicles (if bought at pre-clearance prices) but that to me isn’t a compensable matter.  

lots of “end of the model year” sales - be that clothes, electronics, etc are sold this way and those that buy at any point in the models life cycle bear some risk as to the timing and risks associated to market cycle and pricing relative to the point in the life cycle.

Edited by new2here