Customers who bought Chevrolets at full price peeved, demand compensation

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Grow some balls and don't allow yourself to be reamed.

What does that even mean? People are too fond of using that expression when it has absolutely no meaning in the context of my quote. So I might say, grow some brain cells, you are obviously short a few.

• Like 1

As if I can go complain in a store to have yesterday bought banana to the regular price when today it is reduced... <deleted> happens... That is not the point at all.

But who buys a new car should be able to relay on manufacturer`s service which is part of the deal, maintenance in manufacturer`s shops, warranty etc... If they close down and run without providing a service for existing cars, then there is a reason for complaining. But they will most likely find a partner to take over the servicing of new cars...

1 hour ago, recycler said:

Not only cars are ridiculously expensive in Thailand, beer, meat, vegetables, education, etc, etc.

It's about time that people wake up about the way that they are extorted by companies selling products at multiple times the reasonable prices.

Life sucks in Europe, for the price of a Captiva we had to settle for a meager Mercedes Benz ????

A can of Chang beer in Lidl in Europe costs the same as in BigC in Thailand.

CP sells sausages at up to 5 times the price of A-brand sausages in Europe, and they own every step from the pig's food to the 7-Eleven or Makro where they sell them and pay minimum wages in Thailand. They are laughing themselves sick over the profits that they make.

It's true that cars in Thailand are very expensive, especially second hand ones and more specifically, cars manufactured outside of Thailand.  But the governments import duty on them is staggering, as it is for quite a few other things.  If you want to live more frugally then just buy local produce and avoid anything that's imported.  Thailand isn't as cheap as it used to be as my wife keeps telling me after visiting her family there.  Our weekly shop in Waitrose is not much more expensive, item by item, than shopping in the local store in Thailand.  Ridiculous when you consider the difference in disposable income.

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

It's true that cars in Thailand are very expensive, especially second hand ones and more specifically, cars manufactured outside of Thailand.  But the governments import duty on them is staggering, as it is for quite a few other things.  If you want to live more frugally then just buy local produce and avoid anything that's imported.  Thailand isn't as cheap as it used to be as my wife keeps telling me after visiting her family there.  Our weekly shop in Waitrose is not much more expensive, item by item, than shopping in the local store in Thailand.  Ridiculous when you consider the difference in disposable income.

Yes,  I could live like a local and exist on sticky rice and dried fish, but I enjoy a few of the finer things in life and unfortunately I have to pay rip-off prices for them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Yes,  I could live like a local and exist on sticky rice and dried fish, but I enjoy a few of the finer things in life and unfortunately I have to pay rip-off prices for them.

Totally understand that.  I used to spend twelve quid on a bottle of wine in Chiang Mai that was a fiver in the UK.  One thing that annoyed me most was paying vastly inflated prices for stuff that was clearly substandard.  Rimping Supermarket used to have the best imported things but at quite a high price.

I guess you have to weigh up what makes you happy.  Having someone else cleaning and doing the dishes and getting a decent massage were always worth the money! 

When it comes to the high price of new or used vehicles in Thailand it not so much "import" taxes (except for those vehicles which are imported/made outside Thailand), because the majority of vehicles sold in Thailand are made in Thailand...they are not imported.

It's the high "excise" tax that the makes new vehicles so expensive in Thailand and that higher initial prices carries over to used vehicles.  Generally, larger/bigger engine cars carry a much higher excise tax...up to around 35%....and smaller autos/engines down to around 15%.   Now get a vehicle that was made outside of Thailand and then import "and" excise taxes come into play.

Since so many people in Thailand do not pay/file any personal income tax, the Thailand tax system relies heavily on VAT, excise, and import taxes versus personal income tax. 

I wonder if that makes them over 30% nicer drivers?

If you drive an expensive car you're probably a jerk, scientists say

A new study has found that drivers of flashy vehicles are less likely to stop and allow pedestrians to cross the road -- with the likelihood they'll slow down decreasing by 3% for every extra $1,000 that their vehicle is worth.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/26/world/expensive-car-drivers-study-scli-scn-intl/index.html

Edited by impulse

Assume that the same group of customers would gladly pay the difference if, say, for exchange reasons, some components got more expensive and hence the car now is sold at 10% more than last year. 

Thais are just too greedy; in all fairness cars are massively overpriced, but let's face it, someone has to pay for the three submarines too ......... which should have come cheaper since ordering in 2016 due to the forex rates - or am I am getting this all wrong again? 

In Denmark 20 years ago, the cheap Chevrolet was introduced and became very popular fast. Today there is practically none left. Why? Simple.... It's was pure JUNK. Rust, mechanical problems, you name it. I knew three guys who bought a new one each and they regret it from day one. My ex wife bought a used one. She junked it after three months. I tried to test a brand new one myself. It felt like driving a 10 year old car. Console was shaking, noises from the dashboard. So I say no thanks to Chevrolet ????

Edited by Benny Jakobsen

9 hours ago, dunroaming said:

And an off topic comment. it's so expensive because the government allows giant companies to create monopolies and the monopolies can charge whatever they want because they have no competition. This is one of the items that FF wanted to stop.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, giddyup said:

Does the Thai model get the same level of equipment as the Aussie model, airbags etc?

Hence the difference in price, I believe its 5 less airbags and heater, however has a slightly larger motor, 2.2ltr Vs 2.0ltr, but don't quote me on this. 

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

I suspect many of these purchasers have already stopped making the monthly repayments.

The logic being "I have paid enough for car now". 

Just because you stop payment doesn't mean you aren't liable to the credit company. If the car is auctioned for 200,000 baht you have to still pay the difference on what you owe or declare bankruptcy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Australian dealers meeting with their PM about  GM  bailing as they have another 2.5  years  left of their contract they signed with all those franchised  dealers (200)

With Australian politicians record of managing car companies, Scomo will sort out GM for sure. 

On 2/27/2020 at 6:54 AM, Georgie65 said:

I guess the new mid engine Corvette Supercar is a massively overpriced old tech american car to? Aussi & Euro trash!!!!

The first two parts are not correct - the C8 is neither a supercar nor overpriced, the latter part, however, sadly is - they still use the old pushrod truck engine.

We will see whether it will do better then the Pontiac Fiero, the other mid engine 'supercar' GM slapped together a while back......  ????

• Sad 1