AIS staff barred from overseas travel

rooster59

AIS staff barred from overseas travel

By THE NATION

800_68bb3f584880efd.jpg

Advanced Info Service (AIS) announced on Friday (February 28) that, in a bid to contain the spread of the Covid-19 virus, it has asked employees to forego overseas travel, whether for personal or business purposes.

Staff returning from at-risk locales overseas were already under orders to remain in their homes for 14 days and then see a doctor to obtain a certificate indicating they’re fit for work.

They were told to shun business meetings with anyone from overseas and instead rely on conference calls.

Staff at customer service shops must wear masks on duty and have their temperature checked twice a day. Alcohol-based gel is provided for customers to wash their hands.

All key operating premises are repeatedly sanitised on a strict schedule.

Staff and customers entering the buildings of its business group have their temperature checked and will be barred if it exceeds 37.5 degrees Celsius.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383040

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-29

9 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

When does the irrational panic stop I wonder, getting sick and tired of the over the top fixation on a disease that isn't even lethal in many cases.

It is highly contagious and AIS doesn't want it being spread and closing down their business because everyone is sick.

13 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

When does the irrational panic stop I wonder, getting sick and tired of the over the top fixation on a disease that isn't even lethal in many cases.

The knee-jerk reaction will subside within another month.

20 hours ago, smedly said:

This is not up to employers to do - it is up to the government of Thailand to enforce a travel ban if one is required 

Government should never do blanket travel ban. It is up to individual company to impose such bans. Thailand  is doing great job in containing the virus unlike US, Italy, and SK. Kudos to Thai administration for their bold actions.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

Chinas death toll is over 2,000 so far... hardly irrational panic, and was lethal for those persons!

So how can I self isolate for 14 days?

Example......I live by myself and come back from a high risk country.

Now I do not have enough food to survive 14 days, do I take the risk

of going shopping to buy enough to survive when I get home?

Since I am not allowed to have visitors in my place do I have to

starve to death? Or will I get supplies delivered by a medical team?

It might sound silly but it might be a valued question.

14 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Chinas death toll is over 2,000 so far... hardly irrational panic, and was lethal for those persons!

Yes we get it, however it's all a matter of statitics. What are the chances of someone dying from this disease ? Apparently a lot less then dying from the flu, or dying on the road, yet we don't massively stop driving a car either. 

1 hour ago, gunderhill said:

Some perspective for you.

Seasonal flu kills 291,000 to 646,000 people worldwide each year,2 and

The flu is left to do it's thing and infect people without many measures put in place to stop outbreaks, bar of course vaccines. If the COVID-19 virus was left to run it course without the serious actions and precautions of governments and people, it would end up being a very different story. The R0 of COVID-19 is 2.2 and in comparison the R0 of influenza is 1.3, so it's more contagious if given the chance. Also COVID-19 has a fatality rate of somewhere between 0.9 and 3% at a present understanding, compared to the flu which is around 0.1% 
So sorry, what were you saying? 

Edited by Mung

22 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Yes we get it, however it's all a matter of statitics. What are the chances of someone dying from this disease ? Apparently a lot less then dying from the flu, or dying on the road, yet we don't massively stop driving a car either. 

Look at the measures put in place to stop this virus, and then look at measures undertaken to stop the flu at a base level. This as well as the fact COVID-19 is very new are reasons why the death count is so low right now. COVID-19 is both more contagious and deadlier than standard influenza strains, that's scientific fact and you cannot dispute that. 

16 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Thailand is doing great job in containing the virus unlike US, Italy, and SK. Kudos to Thai administration for their bold actions.

Are they? And yet folk from China continue to waltz in. 

1 hour ago, gunderhill said:

Seasonal flu kills 291,000 to 646,000 people worldwide each year,

I'm also guilty of such thinking, but unless checked believe the ole corona has the potential to really fly.

1 hour ago, White Christmas13 said:

starve to death? Or will I get supplies delivered by a medical team?

there is nothing wrong with your question - if you feel you need to then call the number

There is no reason why people cannot deliver food etc to you home

initially you need to assess the risk based on guidelines as to whether you need to isolate yourself - there is no magic formula - it is just common sense

How many people in Thailand right now are suffering from viral pneumonia ?

well looking at a recent Graph posted on here on another thread - it has gone from 0 to off the scale in the last 6 weeks

I believe there are many cases of very ill people that are basically being ignored in Thailand - run off to your village and keep quiet or pay BT9000 and we will test you but the result will be the same - off to your village and self isolate 

2 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Seasonal flu kills 291,000 to 646,000 people worldwide each year,

do you think there is a difference ?

I am having trouble understanding your point

Please explain 

actually don't bother

4 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

I can't do much about the road statistics or becoming a road victim... but I can help myself from contracting a virus.

The chances of dying from it are minimal, but even less if you don't have it !

10 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

starve to death? Or will I get ed to youfeliversupplies delivered by a medical team?

Call For food and drinks and it will be Delivered to your door.  Panda and Gab both do deliveries.