Eating in the fifties

JWRC

Drink Wine, and beer only when you feel hot and dry. Otherwise only eat cute little cats. Yeah, I know I am somewhat off topic, but never discard good advice.

Edited by Boomer6969

Chicken was a luxury. Every Sunday, leg of lamb and roast vegetables. Lamb is a luxury now. Roast turkey or chicken for Christmas dinner, which was somewhat deranged in the middle of an Australian summer.

Meat pies and tomato sauce at the football. No-one knew what the meat was, like a grey sludge. I lost respect for the Queen's New Years Honors list when the guy making the pies got a knighthood. Tony Abbott put the icing on the cake a few years ago.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Chicken was a luxury. Every Sunday, leg of lamb and roast vegetables. Lamb is a luxury now. Roast turkey or chicken for Christmas dinner, which was somewhat deranged in the middle of an Australian summer.

Meat pies and tomato sauce at the football. No-one knew what the meat was, like a grey sludge. I lost respect for the Queen's New Years Honors list when the guy making the pies got a knighthood. Tony Abbott put the icing on the cake a few years ago.

and no more Holden.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

in 2020 with 4 kids, on our table we don't have iPads, tables or cell phones, any back talk and it's a week without, just the other day one of the 15 year old boys said to their mum, why can we only have our mobiles between 7.30pm and 9pm on weeknights and 10am-11am and 7.30pm-10.00pm weekends when our friends have them 24/7, my wife replied with, because your papa is a generous man, would you like me to ask him, no, no, no, was his reply ????

We allow the boys 15 to watch Netflix till midnight weekends, albeit they went to 1.30am this morning when asked, no lies, no punishment.

No elbows and no hats/hoodies, the hoodies I took to with the scissors, so no more hoodies period. Also no talking when papa is at the table, strange though when I finish and leave, the talk is full on, and then I return for a laugh and stand there while everyone is silent and then I say walking away, can't remember why I came here....lol, my wife and I get a buzz in disciplining the kids, and I have to say, the challengers are quite educational for them, as we have an answer for everything...lol ????

i don't think i would like you very much.    you are too much like me !  I hope you "let them help you"  doing things around the house/ garden .   my daughter (now 31)  is living proof that there are a few kids that are not out of shape,  physically or mentally.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JWRC said:

Pasta had not been invented, it was macaroni or spagetti,

Curry was a surname.

A take-away was a mathmatical problem.

Pizza? Sounds like a leaning tower somewhere.

Bananas and oranges only appeared at Christmas time.

All chips were plain.

Oil was for lubricating, fat was for cooking.

Tea was made in a teapot using tea leaves and never green.

Cubed sugar was regarded as posh.

Chickens didn't have fingers in those days.

None of us had ever heard of yoghurt.

Healthy food consisted of anything edible.

Cooking outside was called camping.

Seaweed was not a recognised food.

Kebab, was not even a word, never mind food.

Sugar enjoyed good press in those days, and was regarded as white gold.

Prunes were medicinal.

Surprisingly muesli was readily available, it was called cattle feed.

Pineapples came in chunks in a tin, we had only ever seen a picture of a real one.

Water came out of the tap, if someone suggested bottling it and charging

more than gasoline for it, they would have become a laughing stock.

The one thing that we never had on/at our table in the fifties, was elbows, hats and cell phones.

Where did all those things happen or not happen?

In a cold country far far away?

46 minutes ago, roo860 said:

What's it like this year living  in North Korea?

????????

You obviously didn't grow up in a disciplined family. Your kids if you have any, probably spend zero time with you, or their grandparents, and are probably on their mobiles too long, have elbows on the table, wear their hats there as well, are slobs, bedrooms upside down, and are spoilt little brats.

You raise yours your way and we will raise ours our way, at least we know where our kids are and what they learn from here will take out to society tomorrow, respect is something that is taught and earned.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

in 2020 with 4 kids, on our table we don't have iPads, tables or cell phones, any back talk and it's a week without, just the other day one of the 15 year old boys said to their mum, why can we only have our mobiles between 7.30pm and 9pm on weeknights and 10am-11am and 7.30pm-10.00pm weekends when our friends have them 24/7, my wife replied with, because your papa is a generous man, would you like me to ask him, no, no, no, was his reply ????

We allow the boys 15 to watch Netflix till midnight weekends, albeit they went to 1.30am this morning when asked, no lies, no punishment.

No elbows and no hats/hoodies, the hoodies I took to with the scissors, so no more hoodies period. Also no talking when papa is at the table, strange though when I finish and leave, the talk is full on, and then I return for a laugh and stand there while everyone is silent and then I say walking away, can't remember why I came here....lol, my wife and I get a buzz in disciplining the kids, and I have to say, the challengers are quite educational for them, as we have an answer for everything...lol ????

I can totaly agree with all of this, my little daughter is totay being ruined by old school thais .... as if they even had any eduction at all back then in there day and i am OLDER than any off em !!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kennycrossfit said:

Why no hats or hoodies? 

Hoodies in the house or at school in my opinion show disrespect, as for the streets, well when and if they hit the streets, and wanna be part of that mentality, well they will be 18 and the highway is a that way, which would tell me that I failed to get through.

Image result for gif arrow right

• Like 1

I remember my dad bringing a banana for me ,i took the skin to school to show my friends, i can remember my Grans kitchen ,always fresh baked cakes and home made jam.

Nanny used to cook fantastic food and i went to private school(day boy) until i was 12 we used to toast bread in the school kitchen and put lots of dripping on it lovely (posh wasnt i) ???? actually every one of my family even have letters after their name and 2 awards ,all except me ,not so posh after all.????

actually we did have a nanny until i was about 14,i was the eldest.

happy happy days. 

Edited by ivor bigun